Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWDTB Quarterfinals Review

TWDTB Quarterfinals Review
    Just a few notes about the games from this weekend. I only saw the games I played in, so some are speculative and the rest are subjective.
    Because I didn't do a Quarterfinals Preview, my predictions records:
    Week 5 Record: 4-0
    Season Record: 24-12

Terrorist vs Thunder
    Terrorist defied my pre-week 5 prediction, and chose Thunder to be their Quarterfinals opponent. Thunder has been looking shaky the last couple week, putting up only 16 collective minutes against Hottub Homeboys, Power and Kobe. Still, none of those games featured multileague heavyweight kess aka SGA, who was a linchpin in their weeks 1 and 2 success. Kess's return spelled hope for Thunder, though the cost of benching Lionheart wasn't cheap.

Game 1 Terrorist 5:50 - 15 Thunder
    Terrorist looked as shaky as they have since week 1. I won't disparage my own team here, especially considering my own weak performance. Suffice to say, Terrorist had the sense knocked into them, and Thunder completely stole our momentum.

Thunder definitely looked more put together here, jumping to an immediate 4 minute lead, and not really looking back. Ogron (40-2, 1 TeK) was commanding and played smart, aided by great control of under courtesy of Unlimited (60-24) and aggressive play from Dwopple (2.99 RPD, 24 K, 4 TeKs). The rest of Thunder also played as expected and indicated by the overall score.

Game 2 Terrorist 15 - 13:27 Thunder
    Like game 1, Thunder grabbed an early lead, but this time Terrorist was able to capitalize on extended crams and steal the victory by just 93 seconds. Terrorist bounced back with the whole team putting up stronger numbers. Maketso (49-6) had good positioning, and Terrorists control of under was fixed with the subbing in of 7* Groan (65-45, 1 TeK) and 7.5* PureOwnage (94-95, 1 TeK). This game also featured an appearance from dreamwin's basebird, which failed to snag any TeKs but did appear to extend a cram with some key shark repignores. Additional shoutouts to Banks (121-67) for strong pushing and big numbers and Kado (96-57) for locking down under.

Thunder looked much weaker this game, despite solid recs from almost their whole team. Like game 1, Thunder grabbed an early lead, but this time Terrorist was able to capitalize on extended crams and steal the victory by just 93 seconds. Ogron (53-5), Ease (143-84) and Dak (99-83) each put up a pair of TeKs.

Game 3 Terrorist 15 - 1:20 Thunder
    Thunder looked utterly deflated after a close loss in game 2. Great performances from Magic Mak (21-0), Groan (74-33, 2 TeKs) and Banks (82-30, 3 TeKs). The entire team was stellar- Maketso positioned great, Markmrw (2.98 RPD, 1 TeK) and I closed cram down, and the spiders were all over Thunder.

Thunder lost all of their game 1 magic, and failed to gain even the 93 seconds they were missing from Game 2. On the bright side, their scores weren't terrible- all spiders put up fair K-D, Cig Smopple had ok RPDs, and besides some late-game throwaway deaths Ogron still looked sharp.

Thunder is looking forward to semifinal matches in WB (Funk) and Jav (Power).

Terrorist will face Piwirfil Fingirmin in WB and Base, and Kobe in Jav.

Kobe vs Funk
    As mentioned in my week 5 preview, Kobe looked hot as hell since the FA draft, and that pattern continued into quarterfinals. Funk rolled into TWDT Playoffs with go-ahead wins over Morph in TWDTD and TWDTB. At 5 base wins, they were technically the 5th seed in base.
    Kobe won the regular season match 15-12, with Funk starting their standard line and Kobe freestyling.

Game 1 Kobe 15 - 13:58 Funk
    Kobe snagged a tight victory despite going slightly negative overall with a straight up nasty spider line. Pressure (43-7, 2 TeKs) carried his team into battle with JacKie> (2.78 RPD) and Joeses (2.83 RPD) repping along the way. Kobe's spiders were devastating- Jurassic (115-78, 4 TeKs), Ekko (108-77, 2 TeKs, 7.5*), Rough (108-52, 1 TeK) and Hawkeye (105-60, 2 TeKs) put up a wall of bullets that limited Funks Sharks impact. Despite those scores, Funk still put up very respectable time, and I really hope someone has a recording of this game.

Team Funk had a strong game themselves, led by Lockdown (115-63, 1 TeK), Mouse (110-53) and Jack (107-70, 3 TeKs). These three did their best to match the elite spider scores on the other side, but Funk's overinvestment into shark and under investment in spider left them wanting. Mean Gene (2.92 RPD) sharked behind Commodo (3.05 RPD, 26 K, 1 TeK) and Heaven (45-11, 2 TeKs) gracefully flew them from place to place. I didn't get to watch this one, but some eyewitness accounts detail how the scores got to where they are. Allegedly, Commodo bombed into Kobe's cram nearly 4 times, offering efficient breaks and quicker control over flagroom. Additionally, Mean Gene might've floundered, failing to fighting foward, foregoing free flag time and frustrating Funk further.

Game 2 Kobe 15 - 3:19 Funk
    Like Terrorist/Thunder Game 3, this quarterfinal close out in a stomp. Kobe continued looking dominating, winning this match with +100 kills and a near ace from Pressure (37-1, 2 TeKs). Joeses (2.83 RPD) and JacKie> (2.76 RPD) were able to mine/bomb nearly the same amount in 18 minutes as they did in 29, Rough (92 K) only died 21 times, and even Jz got a TeK.

Funk looked figured out, with their low start sinking lower and the high stars failing to match Kobe's pace. Bright sides looking forward to next season include still strong showings from Mouse and Lockdown, Jack looks underrated at 8.5, and even in a beatdown Commodo racks up 9 kills and a 3.05 RPD.

Kobe squares off with Terrorist in Jav and Power in Base Semifinals.
    Funk faces elimination against Thunder in WB.
    Last edited by WillBy; 10-18-2021, 03:00 PM.

Well done Kobe. Shout out to Ekko for praccing a bunch and outplaying his * value, Jurassic for always being solid af, jackie for also playing above * value in shark (jackie outplayed meangean and costs a star less). joe pushed hard AF and I wish I had this version of him in Pandora a couple TWL ago he looked great and pressure is pressure he does his thing. I am going to call out a couple pieces of shit though. The #1 is rough who refused to show for our team in order to get traded, this guy is a a scumbag and won't play unless he is on a stacked team. I would hope in the future we could punish behavior like this because a) this fucking loser does this all the time and b) it makes drafting people super hard because they can just no show and force a trade. 2) Rough is a huge loser again sry I can't point that out enough....

3) Mean gene... the guy is the Henry saari of sharks I would say he is a 7* shark as uhh by the stats Zapata was a better shark then him this season. After me bashing him to push forward key all season the guy still uses at least 2 reps behind our spid lines way to often. In cram he uses 2 reps on terr and 1 at the top of cram. This guy single handedly fucked our playstyle up IMO our team was made up of strong pushing spids like myself/lee/fourplai, but we weren't able to play our style because if a shark won't put forward it makes it makes it so u have to always play defensive as a spid. Why is he Henry... ya this guy will just rep air in order to get his x3 reps off, he wont make a difficult push cuz it might lower his rpd (he is not skilled enough to be an aggro shark cuz when he did the odd time try and push he did so in straight lines and would 1 rep). #4 myself I am toxic as fuck and when this shitter triggered me by being such a bucket I spent in between games trashing him instead of getting rdy for next game. In the end though we had no shot with so much wasted * cap on a scrub shark and Kobe was the better team. GG to them

MG should stick to his best ship - esc S

Comment

Originally posted by MousE View Post
      Well done Kobe. Shout out to Ekko for praccing a bunch and outplaying his * value, Jurassic for always being solid af, jackie for also playing above * value in shark (jackie outplayed meangean and costs a star less). joe pushed hard AF and I wish I had this version of him in Pandora a couple TWL ago he looked great and pressure is pressure he does his thing. I am going to call out a couple pieces of shit though. The #1 is rough who refused to show for our team in order to get traded, this guy is a a scumbag and won't play unless he is on a stacked team. I would hope in the future we could punish behavior like this because a) this fucking loser does this all the time and b) it makes drafting people super hard because they can just no show and force a trade. 2) Rough is a huge loser again sry I can't point that out enough....

3) Mean gene... the guy is the Henry saari of sharks I would say he is a 7* shark as uhh by the stats Zapata was a better shark then him this season. After me bashing him to push forward key all season the guy still uses at least 2 reps behind our spid lines way to often. In cram he uses 2 reps on terr and 1 at the top of cram. This guy single handedly fucked our playstyle up IMO our team was made up of strong pushing spids like myself/lee/fourplai, but we weren't able to play our style because if a shark won't put forward it makes it makes it so u have to always play defensive as a spid. Why is he Henry... ya this guy will just rep air in order to get his x3 reps off, he wont make a difficult push cuz it might lower his rpd (he is not skilled enough to be an aggro shark cuz when he did the odd time try and push he did so in straight lines and would 1 rep). #4 myself I am toxic as fuck and when this shitter triggered me by being such a bucket I spent in between games trashing him instead of getting rdy for next game. In the end though we had no shot with so much wasted * cap on a scrub shark and Kobe was the better team. GG to them

MG should stick to his best ship - esc S
      Sure, I’ll take the bait… MHz and I have a good relationship, I clearly said on forums 10% show rate. I was drafted in the 8th round (I think?) so obviously this team/draft was not revolved around me. MHz and I spoke several times, I wasn’t budging because Sunday’s = football. You do know that your team actually benefited from that trade and FA to get steadman right…if I was still on the team, you guys would have never made playoffs. You do know this league isn’t made for us right? It’s for mediocre players (people like banks) who get to play so I don’t understand the anger. I never asked MHz to trade me, plain and simple.

You sound like i changed the complexity of these games while I’m just strolling around while best and Jurassic just dominate on their own. Yep, I forced myself out so I can play jav with Jurassic ekko Hawkeye…yep stacked team.. lol.. You should talk to Racka.

I do agree with you though, mean gene is complete doodoo lol.

1:Ogron> i can officially say that i am quitting tinder dude fuck that i met the most amazing girl ever
      1:Zidane> congrats man
      1:Ogron> yeah she is into star wars movies and plays little bit of LoL
      1:Ogron> AND we had a 10 minute make out session in my car
      1:Rough> AND this guy wonders why he is a loser

Comment

Originally posted by Rough View Post

Sure, I’ll take the bait… MHz and I have a good relationship, I clearly said on forums 10% show rate. I was drafted in the 8th round (I think?) so obviously this team/draft was not revolved around me. MHz and I spoke several times, I wasn’t budging because Sunday’s = football. You do know that your team actually benefited from that trade and FA to get steadman right…if I was still on the team, you guys would have never made playoffs. You do know this league isn’t made for us right? It’s for mediocre players (people like banks) who get to play so I don’t understand the anger. I never asked MHz to trade me, plain and simple.

You sound like i changed the complexity of these games while I’m just strolling around while best and Jurassic just dominate on their own. Yep, I forced myself out so I can play jav with Jurassic ekko Hawkeye…yep stacked team.. lol.. You should talk to Racka.

I do agree with you though, mean gene is complete doodoo lol.
        1)I don't care how much you and MHz suck each other off
        2) you clearly showed for more then 10% of the games... looks like you showed for every week after you got traded. I am not a detective, but it doesn't take a Nasa degree to figure that out.
        3) and ur team is clearly stacked since ur in semis? Oh and thank you for letting us get steadman wow ur so nice I love that guy!

at least we agree on MG Edit

Comment

As a sidecomment, i think Funk games were ultimately plagued by being either really hot or too hot. If things were clicking, we played really well, but if something went not as good, it was just alot of drama.
          Once mouse and mean gene started it up again, it never ended, which is why we never really also managed to gather ourselves after loss. Whos fault it was, i will leave it to more experienced players to decide.
          All in all, it was really fun basing league, Funk still made a nice comeback, made it to playoffs in a highly competitive and equal league and pulled some good games. Many thanx for Mouse and Steadman for constantly giving me tips in improving and see you around in future basing leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeRomeno View Post
            As a sidecomment, i think Funk games were ultimately plagued by being either really hot or too hot. If things were clicking, we played really well, but if something went not as good, it was just alot of drama.
            Once mouse and mean gene started it up again, it never ended, which is why we never really also managed to gather ourselves after loss. Whos fault it was, i will leave it to more experienced players to decide.
            All in all, it was really fun basing league, Funk still made a nice comeback, made it to playoffs in a highly competitive and equal league and pulled some good games. Many thanx for Mouse and Steadman for constantly giving me tips in improving and see you around in future basing leagues.
            lee ur a great spid I would say ur suited for over with the way u push. keep it up homie

Comment

Originally posted by MousE View Post

lee ur a great spid I would say ur suited for over with the way u push. keep it up homie
              Well thanx, haven't had much opportunities to play over.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeRomeno View Post
                Many thanx for Mouse and Steadman for constantly giving me tips in improving and see you around in future basing leagues.
                Lee it was a pleasure to play with you this season. Good effort and hope to see you in future leagues!
                Mythril> when i met ease in 2001 he was a gameboy
                Shaw> it was sad steadman. ppl were saying morph was the best jav and stuff. sad times without you here
                mcvicar> the last time ease spoke to me is when he said fart and then claus said "Fart it is."
                Mythril> stead was wishing covid 14 on ppl back in the day

Jessup> I was beat up by a dwarf once

Comment

Nice review Willby, thanks again for doing this every week and keeping it up as I haven't been able to continue my reviews. My thoughts are as follows:

With the aloof Kess finally showing up Thunder looked surprisingly strong round 1 vs Terrorist, I was worried for you but you guys figured it out for games 2 and 3 in the end with some nice modifications to your spid line.

Funk was also looking very strong round 1 vs Kobe and could have taken that win very easily but Heav got some unlucky deaths near the end of r1 and I guess some internal conflict caused them to fizzle out for round 2 which was a stomp.

Number 1 & 2 rated teams Power & Piwirfil fingermen have a tough fight ahead of them if they want to make basing finals. The quarter finals were a good opportunity for both Kobe and Terrorist to play around with their ideal lines and get more comfortable playing together. Excited to see how this turns out.

p.s. the drama in this thread was beyond entertaining, LOL.

p.p.s. Mean Gene is probably a 8.5* spider, def wasn't rated that for his sharking. Mouse is very passionate and entertaining. Rough does what Rough wants to do & Banks as the posterboy for mediocrity was such a great shout out.
                  pokebong> you never had a bad round b4?

~

1:Steadman> u turned that game and ur a god of subspace

Comment

Working...
                  X