Captain Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Selection

I would like the decision of who gets to be a captain placed in the hands of the players and not whatever is currently the case as there is zero transparency.

Could it be done via a poll for this season and that be clearly communicated and advertised appropriately when its going to occur etc?

To pre-empt the question as to why I ask this;
    1. I have asked for the past few seasons to be a capt and never got the opportunity to or seen any feedback/rationale as to who was finally selected.
    2. My personal history with Beam has been 99% negative. I will happily admit that I play this game and I don't talk nicely to the players within it that I perceive as being the trolls. I consider them free game to be attacked, Beam being one of them. Meanwhile a few years ago when a draft was being arranged, Beam said to me that there is no way I would be allowed to be a capt if he had anything to do with it. I am disappointed to see now Beam be in a position of power where he can make influential decisions. He is even staff too... but just as there's nothing stopping criminals from joining the police... all I can ask for is that the system/institution be made more transparent so I can believe it is actually based upon a fair decision and has no corruption involved hence why I put this request forward.
    Ogron - "Lifetime Achievement Award recipient for 10* attitude [Ardour]"

ranked #2 in ogrons signature of: TWL's most irrelevant nobodies pubtrash bozos with 0 titles.

TWLD Season 19 #70th Best Warbird
    TWLB Season 19 #56th Best Spider

TW Greatest no-shipper 2002 - Present

I nominate MousE for captain!
    TWLD Champion 2014
    TWDTB Champion 2013
    TWDTB Champion 2016
    TWDTB Champion 2017
    TWDTB Champion 2019.. my last one.
    -tj hazuki/hazuki :wub:

Comment

I know I got my cap spot taken away and given to skatarius at one point, who had one of the worst drafts I have ever seen. Violence proved you don't need to be a high rated player to succeed as cap. After just making 2\3 of the DT finals as a cap myself, I think it's pretty clear that experience is more important than skill in being a captain. We could use more people captaining instead of having the same people do it over and over, ardour might be on to a way to make that happen here.

Also mouse would be a HORRIBLE idea for captaining DT. When you have an unstable captain like mouse would be, it makes for a miserable season for all the players under him.
      rEnZi> just looking at rageritual tilts me
      rEnZi> its crazy
      rEnZi> thats real power

Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

Comment

Agree with what was said before. Was sad not to be elected as GM for last league, as mentioned somewhere, i think I may be most successful GM for EG draft leagues and I am confident I can bring the goods here as well.
        Only real disadvantage worse players get as GMs is the fact that if they get unlucky in draft order picking, they miss out on those top 4-5 10star players available. It may be especially problematic, if GM who gets them, is 10 star himself, but we have VP system for that. Also, being very good player does not automatically mean you are a good GM. Especially in draft league environment, there are more skills then just what you can do in game, that matter.

Comment

nope if you want to cap feel free to volunteer but it will definitely not be a public vote
          Last edited by beam; 01-03-2023, 09:02 AM.
          Jessup> saiyan and i had steamy cyber sex once

Streak Breaker Grizzly Beam

Don't Poke the Bear.

Comment

Maybe the draft order could be determined by * total of the captain, e.g. lowest * total captain can choose his spot in the order first, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassius View Post
              Maybe the draft order could be determined by * total of the captain, e.g. lowest * total captain can choose his spot in the order first, and so on.
              The problem with this is that being a lower * isn't necessarily a handicap. With star cap, being an underrated mid/low star player is significantly stronger than being a 10*.
              Jessup> saiyan and i had steamy cyber sex once

Streak Breaker Grizzly Beam

Don't Poke the Bear.

Comment

Makes sense. I was thinking around Lee's specific issue raised that if he went last in the draft, as I think he was saying, that he may end up without a top-tier multi-league player and other teams might have 2 by that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassius View Post
                  Makes sense. I was thinking around Lee's specific issue raised that if he went last in the draft, as I think he was saying, that he may end up without a top-tier multi-league player and other teams might have 2 by that point.
                  I think it's not that big of an issue honestly, you just need to build your strategy on strong 8-9* core and can succeed as well. Ogron making it to 3 finals this year, violence continuously doing well etc. Surely those 3 league superstars give some advantage, but in the end its team game.

Comment

Originally posted by RageRitual View Post
                    I know I got my cap spot taken away and given to skatarius at one point, who had one of the worst drafts I have ever seen. Violence proved you don't need to be a high rated player to succeed as cap. After just making 2\3 of the DT finals as a cap myself, I think it's pretty clear that experience is more important than skill in being a captain. We could use more people captaining instead of having the same people do it over and over, ardour might be on to a way to make that happen here.

Also mouse would be a HORRIBLE idea for captaining DT. When you have an unstable captain like mouse would be, it makes for a miserable season for all the players under him.
                    Some of the best coaches in sports leagues were either never players or were mediocre ones. Some of the greatest players of all time make very bad GM/Coaches. Take a look at the Bobcats under Michael Jordan for a reference.

Point is, it's a different talent to draft and manage a team than it is to just play in them. Knowing what lineups work together, who has talent and is underrated, how to strategize rather than just shoot at blue dots randomly... not everyone can do it.

Originally posted by beam View Post

The problem with this is that being a lower * isn't necessarily a handicap. With star cap, being an underrated mid/low star player is significantly stronger than being a 10*.
                    It wouldn't be if the top * players were equally skilled at drafting, managing a team, and recognizing talent in other players more than just playing themselves. Some 10* players have shown they can do this. Others have shown for years that they cannot. Those who can do it have the obvious advantage of having themselves as a player.
                    Last edited by Exalt; 01-03-2023, 06:57 PM.
                    RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                    RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Originally posted by RageRitual View Post

ur a shitty player and a shitty cap
                      ?

cripple> if u had a better connection u wouldnt be good

Comment

Originally posted by Skatarius View Post

ur a shitty player and a shitty cap
                        Just won wb, and made it to basing finals. We may have actually won base if I actually had two sharks show up #fuckliz. How does that make me a shitty cap? You couldn't even make playoffs. I'm not saying you are a bad cap, but you DRAFTED very poorly.
                        rEnZi> just looking at rageritual tilts me
                        rEnZi> its crazy
                        rEnZi> thats real power

Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

Comment

#freeardour
                          TWLD 2016 Champion
                          TWDTD champion x 3
                          Potenza 4 LIFE

Comment

As a two-time defending DTB champion(!) 20 year veteran(!!), 10star spectator(!!!) always asking to be C i can tell you it's near impossible to get C in this game. But I wish you luck Ardo.
                            -snoop
                            10* Spectator
                            Fake medal holder TWDTB Season 20, 25, 26 and TWDTD Season 21 (only member of POWER with 0 sec played S20, 0 sec played in DTD S21)

Season 24:
                            https://youtu.be/q3HqKe_A_bs

Best in Star Slot - Warbird & Base(GameScore)
                            Best 6* - Snoopie

Comment

ard a BS legend and a great wb/jav and baser (i think), I'd be okay with him as a cap

Comment

Working...
                              X