Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 100 Basers of All-Time

Top 100 Basers of All-Time

Every season. Every final. Every champion.

All 50 seasons are now included and available in a searchable document here.

Best viewed on a 1920x1080 monitor or larger.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A list without skill ratings can be found here, for those turned off by subjective inputs

An active basers only list available here, with active ratings and more weight on current skill level.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rating

TWLB Champion (10 points)
    TWLB Runner-up (5 points)
    TWLB Semi-Finals (2 points)
    TWDT-B Champion (3 points)
    TWDT-B Runner-Up (2 points)
    Basing Cup (2 points)
    World Cup (1 point)

Players are given a Skill rating with a heavy weight, but it has a relatively small impact on ranking (given that most good players are all within 10 rating of each other). It is mostly there to anchor all the great players who almost won TWLB but didn't, and make sure their placement is appropriate. For players who won a lot, the Skill rating has a negligible effect.

Thanks to JAMAL, Spezza, and Ease for going through the Skill ratings for me and providing feedback. I took pretty much all their recommendations.

I tried to rate older players (Koan/Spybreak/Brookus/etc.) and rivals (Stayon/Commodo/Thix/etc.) as generously as possible, but ultimately this list is -- to some degree -- my subjective opinion.

FWIW, though, if I removed the 'Skill' rating, the only subjective part of the equation, the list would mostly be the same, except I'd be higher up, and some great players who didn't win as much would be further down.

For older players, I talked to elite basers from the era and leaned on All-Star voting threads from S6/S7/S8/etc., which helpfully listed how many votes each player got in every ship.

Only finals starters who played the majority of winning rounds in Finals get the dark gold color. Light gold is for winning the Semi-Finals or starting almost every game. One of the goals of this list is to eliminate benching titles and accurately assess who actually won.

Even if you disagree with the ratings, this provides a nice database to look up basers, where they played, who won what season, etc. The list
    has to be ordered in some fashion, anyway.

My Views on Leagues

I personally see TWLB and TWDT-B as the main leagues. TWLB is the main piece, and TWDT-B is the complimentary one.

TWLB, from s10 to s22, has always been a top heavy league with 2-3 contenders. Re-read forums from s10-s11, everyone is crying that the only two teams that can win are Pandora and Dice, and why even bother play. This is not a recent phenomenon.

I see people yearning for "old" TWLB where 5-6 teams could win between s5-s9. Well, s5 didn't have a playoffs, s6 was still a points race with random damage and blocks on the bar making cram impossible to break and undering way worse, so I doubt anyone wants to play that. So basically they want s7-s9 TWLB where all the basing talent is spread out and a ton of teams can win.

That league exists... it's called TWDT-B. All the top TWLB talent is spread out via draft, and 8 teams can win.

Yes TWDT was a joke for a long time, but once it converted to TWL maps, had better ops, and TWL became more of a stackfest, it has taken on the role of "old" TWL to some degree. The talent is spread out and you have to actually carry to win.

TWDT-B has increased in respectability and value as TWLB has decreased these past few years.

Of course, this is a Top 100 list, TWDT-B only matters in the context of being a max slot or 9* or 10* player. Tripin winning back-to-back titles as a 7* has no bearing on these sorts of conversations. If you cost 10* and there's a TWDT-B star cap of 66*, you're playing with less talent and forced to hard carry and prove your salt.

Winning a starting spot on a TWLB contender and reaching the finals is still the main crux of any serious list, but TWDT-B has become an increasingly important part of basing, and winning as a 10* is just as hard as winning a TWLB title.

TWLB Notes
    S5 is the first TWLB season. Light won the regular season and there were no playoffs. TWLB-Cup was arranged as the S5 playoffs/finals. Mostly a black hole, but grabbed some data from the Wayback machine and other sources.
    S6-S22 is 99% correct, listing every winner and runner-up, we've tracked down every finals and semis boxscore thanks to Qan, Turban, Rab, and Ease, via a giant SQL database, wayback machines, twl website, and TWLM.

TWDT-B Notes
    TWDT-B actually studiously kept boxscores for almost every season, making it very accurate.
    Props to Rab for hunting down the 2005 TWDT-B runner-ups for me.

TWBL Notes
    This stuff was extremely hard to track down. Ara and others tried to track this info down in 2005 (!!) and couldn't manage it.
    TWDL and TWBL were the main leagues around 2000-2002, and even when TWLD started, TWDL was still more popular and respected for awhile.
    My understanding is that mods whitewashed TWDL and TWBL, and kept them off the History page and didn't award them TWD medals.
    That said, the early seasons of these leagues was pretty informal and there were no playoffs -- but I believe the same was true for early TWLD, and TWLB Season 5 didn't have playoffs or finals, either.
    I did manage to get rosters for every relevant team, which is awesome.
    Based on combing through the Wayback Machine, archived forums, and Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars, this is the best I could do:

TWBL S1: Cripples
    TWBL S2: Wildfire
    TWBL S3: Disoblige
    TWBL S4: -Final-

I believe Elusive, Scrotal's Horde, Siege, and -Final- won at least one TWDL each, FWIW. After the Wildfire controversy, Dock> re-made the league and people referred to winning S3 as winning S1, making it super confusing to follow in forum posts.

World Cup Notes
    Thanks to forums, the wayback machine, and Rab, I have the rosters from every season except 2006. Boxscores from the 2005, 2015, and 2018 competitions are available, but some of the other seasons they're missing.
    BWC 2006 might be the only season left where I have no info, beyond the fact that Benelux beat USA West.
    Cups have a small weight, so it's not a big issue, but if you have info on any seasons (BWC or otherwise), let me know!
    Last edited by ogron; 06-24-2020, 09:30 AM.
    top 100 basers list

Wondered what you wanted that data for, this is cool.

Requests:
    - Could you combine stats from my old name into my new name?
    - Is there an easy way to filter to only show active players?

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
      Wondered what you wanted that data for, this is cool.

Requests:
      - Could you combine stats from my old name into my new name?
      - Is there an easy way to filter to only show active players?
      Gimme your old name and I can add it, sure.

No filter, but I can do it manually for you, only takes a minute.
      top 100 basers list

Comment

Here you go:

Top 100 Active Basers
        top 100 basers list

Comment

wow Impressive work Ogron !!

Comment

How rude! Shine my belts! Best undeserved TWL title winner in TW history... the sig proves it okay??
            7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
            Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
            TWLJ Champion Season 11
            TWLB All-Star Season 10
            Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

Originally posted by Voth View Post
              How rude! Shine my belts! Best undeserved TWL title winner in TW history... the sig proves it okay??

Was a joke : )

Your sig is accurate!
              top 100 basers list

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post

Was a joke : )

Your sig is accurate!
                i never knew you cared. out of all the undeserved TWL title winners in history (and there are MANY), you agree that i am, in fact, the best.

hey in all seriousness, why aren't you signed up for mafia? i could see you and exalt getting into a "which post has a higher word count" dick measuring contest and it would probably be legendary. https://forums.trenchwars.com/forum/...om-of-westeros
                7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
                Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
                TWLJ Champion Season 11
                TWLB All-Star Season 10
                Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

Hard pass on Mafia, Voth.

Rab and Ease tracked down S6, S7, S8 and S9 finals for me, and I've updated the sheet. Got some info from S10, but TWLM doesn't have that final.

Meaning only S5 (TWLB Cup), S10, and S11 are missing. If you have screenshots, video, or boxscores of those TWLB seasons (particularly the finals), let me know.

Thanks!
                  top 100 basers list

Comment

Originally posted by Voth View Post

i never knew you cared. out of all the undeserved TWL title winners in history (and there are MANY), you agree that i am, in fact, the best.

hey in all seriousness, why aren't you signed up for mafia? i could see you and exalt getting into a "which post has a higher word count" dick measuring contest and it would probably be legendary. https://forums.trenchwars.com/forum/...om-of-westeros
                    how to delete someone else's post
                    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

I took part in TWLB season 6 for -Final- when they won that season. I also helped Terrorist in TWDT season 2019 when they tripled crowned. What is this conspiracy theory to write me out of the history books?! sheesh.
                      Ogron - "Lifetime Achievement Award recipient for 10* attitude [Ardour]"

ranked #2 in ogrons signature of: TWL's most irrelevant nobodies pubtrash bozos with 0 titles.

TWLD Season 19 #70th Best Warbird
                      TWLB Season 19 #56th Best Spider

TW Greatest no-shipper 2002 - Present

Comment

Going down on memory lane around 12 years ago, and to correct the excell, I played and won season 10 as well. It was my first lb win, first season I played under by choise, as it was a season I was the most inactive (1h per week) on and realisticly the start of my spider talent decline, and the rise of experience, mental strenght, and championships.

Ironicly I had to morph like a butterfly in order to reach the finish line.

I believe that day I mvp'd the first round (One of my few mvps on final), Pandora makes 1-1, and then on the crucial game..

Cape played for Chief, high possibility of Dwop subbing in mid-game for Cig, A2M, Mega, Crip, Stay, Mikes. Jra played until he lagged, Mega Newbie stepped on to make one of the most ferocious subs ever going 0-10, attacking cram, with game being around of 6-9, until Necro replaces MN.

The game gets caotic with cram breaks and flagroom fights, Cape pulling legend moves and 2 teks, Necro 1 Tek to hero and myself another 2 through under pushes, managing to disrupt Pandora's excellent game control after pounding us on round 2. We nailed the coffin, as per usual with a clutch cram.

In the end, Pandora's organization was not enough for Dice's bigger talent and mental strenght. The lag didnt help and we were not as tidy as they were.

We went on on relying on out talent and experience when it mattered on future TWLBs. Dice's only organized season was actually their first, from my spectactor view, where they went from being a possible huge upset, to a it's an obvious win, on a few weeks. Resembled on a different scale, to Spastic's season 6 win, comming from being a pub squad months earlier, to face and beat behemoths like Diso, Pallies, WR or AS.

​​​​​Shayde did not attend but would of started for Mikes.

Necro was a hybrid between bein 4th shark, starter and 1st sub.

My brother did not attend. Hero was not an option.

Vati and Sarger standed out for me.

Was fun to write a little bit, there's other errors on different teams but my memory would make me more nostalgic. Papi out!

Part-time goof, Part-time wild beast,
                        Your friend,
                        ​​Papi
                        ​​​​​

Comment

#193 represent what whatr

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

This was fun to look back on, thanks for this
                            JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                            the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

#365...rising up those rankings quickly!

Comment

Working...
                              X