No announcement yet.

A New Server????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone would lose every name and squad there is if we went to ASSS wouldn't we?
    TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
    TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
    TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
    TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
    TSLD CHAMPION 2018
    TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Jessup View Post
      Everyone would lose every name and squad there is if we went to ASSS wouldn't we?
      It's possible to do some sort of preferential registration thing to protect active players from having their names and squad names stolen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
        That's another way of saying you need to get a team.
        There are people working on it. We're talking about vetting 350,000 lines of code, though.

Most of it should work the same out of the box. What does not and is not adapted properly will be debugger's hell. We'll be fixing bugs related to the AS3 switch for at least 5 years after switching. That's not to say it wouldn't be worth it. But we should be realistic about the scale.

Originally posted by Jessup
        No, all of that would remain the same. There are SSC zones running on ASSS right now that you can connect to with your name, for instance. You're thinking of a billing server switch. What Rab said about it is true. But of course who are "active" players are is open to interpretation. Currently playing today? There are plenty of people who take a year off and then come back. They would not be very happy if a nametrader snapped up their 20 year old name while they're gone and are now offering to sell it back to them for $500. There are some ways around that, I'm sure, but I haven't seen a good solution yet.
        Last edited by qan; 05-14-2020, 11:11 AM.
        "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
        -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

How much of that code do we use on a regular basis? I'm thinking it sounds like a good opportunity to shed some of that burden and keep things at a level that can be maintained by the size of team we have. Perhaps we should start by listing what's actually needed.

Comment

Very rough estimate based on pure conjecture, probably only 150K is used regularly. Another 50-100K is used occasionally. To be clear I have no personal interest in taking on any portion of this project, other than as a facilitator of needed resources; it'd be someone else's charge to lead. Hands already full to overflowing.
            "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."

Comment

Excuse my ignorance here but..

Instead of rolling through a nightmare amount of code, (which I am making the assumption someone else is being paid to do).......to still have "5 years after switching" worth of bugs, would it not be easier just pay someone to write up new code?
              Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

rylo> 1.5 mil for whoever kills renzi
              (10 seconds later)
              rEnZi is out. 17 kills 10 deaths. 2 players remain.
              P TW-Pub> rylo sent you $1,500,000, you now have $4,047,199.

If you're going to do a thing you should to it to the best of your ability or don't do it at all.

Comment

Rewriting everything would be looking into the tens of thousands of dollars rather than thousands or hundreds. You might be able to pay a group of recent college grads to do it for $100K over the course of a year? Dunno. A lot of people are out of work now, maybe you could get away with far less.

It'd be cheaper to pay to have it adapted to ASSS and then pay to have it properly QA'd. The bugs aren't a problem if you can pay people to find them. I'm sure some current players would be willing to play 8 hours a day and find bugs if they were paid even a low wage. Get paid to play video games? Sure, why not?

Comment

How was the lag for the games today? Made a few small changes that may have impacted performance a bit after consulting with Kassius.

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
                    How was the lag for the games today? Made a few small changes that may have impacted performance a bit after consulting with Kassius.
                    Pretty good on our end except for tim lagging out right at the start of our game vs Fire (probably on Tim’s end) and some of the usual rep ignore problems that basing has been having.
                    J-B-Inc> i ddi that duel while doing coke of pawner moms ass

8:Riverside> UPDATE FOR WEEK 1:
                    8:Riverside> I go 4-60 and we lose 0-6

2:saiyan> [Dec 22 21:22] Rough: yo just came on to tell you, can you go on a real date with a girl (need to be specific here lol) instead of talking to claus on forums about calcs and formulas for a league? Happy holidays btw

Comment

Not sure how much my suggestions would help, more pro-active/best-practice stuff rather than root cause analysis. Hope it helps, though.

Comment

I think there were more eats than normal.

Comment

As far as i'm concerned the lag seemed less clunky for me, especially on twlb games. There are still more eats/lag than usual, but it looked more stable than the past few weeks.
                          Author of the clutchest and most tilting TEK of the century.

1:cripple> i luv lbj cock
                          1:cripple> if he paid me 50k for every time i gave him a bj i'd do it

Comment

lagged out 3 times during my first game - relog still spike or lag fun times - nawt.

was fine all week long this game sometimes lmao

Comment

Working...
                            X