[RULE CHANGE] Post-Week 3 Roster Expansion and Player Additions [SOFT LOCK]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [RULE CHANGE] Post-Week 3 Roster Expansion and Player Additions [SOFT LOCK]

Effective immediately following week 3 matches.
    • All TWL squads will receive 2 Expansion Player roster spots
    • Weeks 4-6 TWL Rosters will be frozen Wednesday's at 11:59 PM EST / EDT, and unfreeze after that week’s matches
    Expansion Player Eligibility

Only players who have zero TWL matches played for weeks 1-3 and have not already been on a frozen TWL roster for 2 weeks are eligible for roster expansion spots. Expansion Players are free to join and leave a TWL Roster for weeks 4-6, or until the player has played at least 1 TWL match, at which point the Expansion Player becomes a permanent member of their TWL squad, and the expansion spot is becomes a permanent roster addition.
    Immediately following Week 6 matches will be the traditional HARD LOCK, and no further roster movements can occur*

Squad Veto Votes

Each squad will have 1 Expansion Player veto. The veto will initiate a vote to all squads to vote yes or no on allowing the player to go through as an Expansion Player. The squad who initiated the veto, and the squad who added the player are ineligible to vote, meaning the squad who requested the veto does not automatically count as a ‘no’ vote. All other squads will have 1 vote. A simple majority vote is required to pass. Squads can choose not to vote. If all squads choose not to vote, the veto will be denied. Once a squad has used their veto, they are no longer eligible to initiate an Expansion Player veto but can still vote in all future vetoes. Squad Veto votes will occur after rosters are frozen each Wednesday at 11:59 PM EST / EDT.

*Unique cases waiver

I fully realize things happen, and I do not want to unilaterally say no to any unique or special cases that may arise. Should a unique or special case arise during the regular season, (i.e. someone gets axed after the hard lock and wish to join and help a lesser-talent squad) captains from the target squad's remaining opponents will vote to allow or deny the waiver. A 2/3 supermajority vote is required to pass the waiver request. Captains can choose not to vote. If all captains choose not to vote, the waiver request will be denied.

Decision / Ruling Change Reasoning

Look, I realize the "taboo" around changing rules mid-season, but I've said from the get-go I am very open to increasing flexibility and changing things based on community suggestions and feedback. The original intention of the 13-roster limit was to promote a more-competitive season by restricting squads from straight up super-stacking their rosters & benches. However, I do agree this restriction introduced a very negative side-effect limiting the flexibility of each squad's ability to handle no-shows and lagouts after week 3. If nothing changed, this restriction greatly increases the chances of match forfeiting, having squads play a man down, or just downright boring matches. With a 9 week regular season + 3 week playoff and how easy it is for squads to make the playoffs, the negatives of doing nothing are not what I want to happen for this TWL Season. 12 weeks is a very long time for players to endure these negative effects, and only reduces overall player-interest in Trench Wars on Sundays. While I do believe this restriction helped limit some of the super-stacking squads, it's very obvious there are still some pretty-stacked squads. The intention of this rule change is to increase roster flexibility and utility after week 3, and not greatly increase a squad's roster talent, hence the inclusion of the Squad Veto clause. If a stacked squad wants to add a highly-skilled player to their roster between weeks 4-6, every squad has the chance to say no. If a squad drops a player from their TWL Roster who still has their Expansion Player eligibility (see attached screenshot) with the intentions of re-adding them back after Week 3, every squad has the chance to say no.

Another deciding factor was pointed out by Mouse, in that there are a handful of interested players NOT (or have not) already been on a TWL Roster, are interested in participating, but there are no TWL Roster spots left for them to fill.

This rule change increases roster flexibility after week 3, reduces the chances of forfeitures and extremely boring matches, but still gives squads a chance to weigh-in and allow or deny impact players joining this late in the season. I can't please everyone, and this may not be perfect, but this rule change will help captains add utility to their roster, allow more players to participate, and provide opportunity for a more-competitive season overall.

General Notes - Please read

Violence's original suggestion only included the single restriction condition of allowing players who had never been on a frozen TWL Roster for weeks 1-3. I took this a step further and looked at players who were on a frozen Week 1 roster, but did not play a Week 1 match (screenshot below), and used this to slightly lower the restrictions for Expansion Player eligibility. Players highlighted REDplayed a match during Week 1, are not eligible for an Expansion Player spot, and must be on a TWL Roster by week 3 to play the rest of the season or request a Unique Case waiver. Players not highlighted are currently eligible for an Expansion Player spot starting week 3, so long as they are not on a frozen TWL Roster for weeks 2 OR 3. As a reminder, TWL Roster rosters freeze again this Friday, 11:59 PM EST.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Week1Players.jpg Views:	26 Size:	284.7 KB ID:	1353009

Lastly, I am reading everything, and I mean everything. I intentionally did not respond in vio's thread (thanks for pointing that out, Geio ​) because doing so would have hindered the ongoing community feedback to vio's suggestion. I promise you I'm not sitting by idly ignoring player-feedback. That, and fuck me do I love some TWL drama.

There are no intentions to adjust the Expansion Player period (weeks 4-6) or Expansion Player spots (2 spots for all squads). Feel free to discuss the ruling change below.

Edit: I've added this Ruling as the new Section 4.04 (replacing the old / retired 1 Week Waiting Period rule) in the TWL Rules
    Last edited by Dwopple; 03-03-2021, 02:43 PM.
    zidane> big play
    Omega Red> dwop sick
    mr mime> its called an orca smash u uncultured fk
    WillBy> ^^

1:Chief Utsav> LOL
    1:Rule> we dont do that here.

cripple> can u get pregnant if u cum in gf's ass

cry and you shall receive.

Thanks for playing!

Comment

Not only was this change not agreed upon by all participating captains, but it also has the potential to completely throw off the balance of the league as it currently stands. Instead of implementing a simple change barring players who are above 9* from joining rosters, you implemented a system that can potentially be abused in a number of ways to recruit 10* players who are currently not participating in TWL.

For example, if a 10* player gets vetoed off one roster can they just apply to a different roster? Can't squads just sit back and wait for other squads to use up all their vetos and then recruit big talent to their squad? This system needs to be re-thought. It would be much simpler to go off TWDT ratings and allow an unlimited amount of 9* and lower rated players onto rosters. These are players who can hold their own in a TWL game and play in situations where starters cannot. Allowing low tier players onto squads would also be a good way for them to get some sort of TWL experience, which would be good for promoting competition in future leagues.

In short, I am not happy with this change as there was clearly a better way of doing it without disrupting league balance.
      Last edited by Steadman; 03-03-2021, 02:50 PM.
      Mythril> when i met ease in 2001 he was a gameboy
      Shaw> it was sad steadman. ppl were saying morph was the best jav and stuff. sad times without you here
      mcvicar> the last time ease spoke to me is when he said fart and then claus said "Fart it is."
      Mythril> stead was wishing covid 14 on ppl back in the day

Jessup> I was beat up by a dwarf once

Comment

I rly appreciate the thought you put into this, the detail, and how u are flexibil and willink to change when something makes sense

I think u went a bit ofirboart though, and could haf just allowed an extra 2 spots for after the hard lock for ppl who haven't been on a twl roster.

This whole expinsion period waivir votink tribil council etc is a bit much. i hope no1 abusis it and i dun rly care if any1 does becuz i dun gif 1 fk about "stackink" n ripitish will fingir any1. am sure it will wirk fine, just not sure if u neetid 2 b so spicific

anyway, thanks for listenink and allowink 2 more spots so i cud add 2 extra ripitish and efery team has highir chince of not forfeitink games due to no shows/ligouts/squidleafinks. like u say, would haf been ridicilis to have a locked in 13 pirsin rostir for 6+ weeks of a seasin

Comment

This is a mixed bag for me. I am in agreeance with Steadman, where was the polling on this? Also, more measures should of been put in place to negate 9, 9.5 and 10* star players from filling in those 2 spots or worse, leaving a team and joining another. The veto system seems overtly complicated as well and seems prone to potential abuse as Steadman pointed out, smart captains can simply wait taking a top player until everyone is out of veto's to prevent it.

Overall, just not enough was done here to prevent the stacking we are seeing with the top tier squads. This just made those teams even stronger and pretty much weakened the rest of the field since sure, they have more players now but elites are more often than not going to shoot for a team that is already stacked in hopes of winning. If we had done more to curb the top teams from acquiring even more elites while helping those elites land on the middle of the pack teams instead, I would of been floored but that's not the case. We wanted more competition and teams to compete to win, not less. I think this is going to ulimately make competition less now than it was before, so that's a bummer.

On the other hand, we shouldn't see forfeits so there's a silver lining? lol

Comment

Vys your assistant is doing bullshit

Comment

For the record Cuphead will not be adding any additional players to our roster and we will continue to play with our small 12 player roster.

I personally don't mind this rule change as long as squads use it to recruit backup players to prevent potential forfeits. There could have added an extra requirement such as only players rated 9-stars or below would be considered eligible to ensure that the balance of this league doesn't change too much in middle of the season.

Comment

need a law degree to decipher this codex forreal

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
                  For the record Cuphead will not be adding any additional players to our roster and we will continue to play with our small 12 player roster.

I personally don't mind this rule change as long as squads use it to recruit backup players to prevent potential forfeits. There could have added an extra requirement such as only players rated 9-stars or below would be considered eligible to ensure that the balance of this league doesn't change too much in middle of the season.
                  Even 9* seems too high since it's an arbitrary ruling of players between 9-10. 8 is about the limit I would think would be fair, but even then, 7.5* players seem to be the type of backups requested by most squads. Nobody should be getting an all-star player with the rule changes, only some people to fill in the gaps if the real starters can't show.

Edit: Either way, I don't care if people add slots, but I still believe that squads like Rapid should absolutely not have 30+ people on their roster who are seemingly allowed to swap back and forth from the TWL roster at will. Rapid made their choice and those players who didn't create Rapid 2.0 made theirs as well.
                  Last edited by Exalt; 03-03-2021, 04:26 PM.
                  RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                  RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
                    Not a very wise decision when one of your roster spots is occupied by a literal pile of dog shit who is named "Harry" irl.

Comment

While I dont really mind the change, it sets a really bad example and shadow over our leagues. A guy who uses degrading words twice on average per sentence and another guy who cant write proper english(but can use caps lock) gets a major rule change implemented in the middle of a season. Guess if you have nothing else to do and are vocal enough you can get your will. What a world we live in. Lol.
                      Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
                      Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
                      Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
                      Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
                      Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
                      Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
                      Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamwin View Post
                        While I dont really mind the change, it sets a really bad example and shadow over our leagues. A guy who uses degrading words twice on average per sentence and another guy who cant write proper english(but can use caps lock) gets a major rule change implemented in the middle of a season. Guess if you have nothing else to do and are vocal enough you can get your will. What a world we live in. Lol.
                        We learned from the former president of the USA ty
                        Last edited by MousE; 03-03-2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamwin View Post
                          Imagine thinking that how someone types (or speaks) truly matters, rather than the ideas being given. I bet you're a Ben Shapiro fan.

Also, yes, being vocal matters in the real world. When you are silent and unwilling to put any effort into giving your opinions and beliefs, you are ignored by default. That's literally how it works in every life situation imaginable.
                          RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                          RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

"Edit: Either way, I don't care if people add slots, but I still believe that squads like Rapid should absolutely not have 30+ people on their roster who are seemingly allowed to swap back and forth from the TWL roster at will. Rapid made their choice and those players who didn't create Rapid 2.0 made theirs as well."

whose tryink 2 swap bik n forth at free will? i asked for 1-5 extra roster spots for the hard lock for ppl who hafint vsd twl games/been on twl rostirs b4. i didnt ask 4 the advinced 50000 wird document w/ 40000 details that dwippil addid. I just wanted to haf a few more playirs for the remainder of the 6+ week season after the hard lock when you can't make anymore changis. ripitish only has about 20 actif playirs dimbiss

lool saiyin

Comment

Originally posted by viop11 View Post
                              squidleafinks
                              d f k m
                              Best> Para is the only guy i know who can put a quarter up his nostrils lol

Comment

Working...
                              X