Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone feel like the thrill of returning to TW is kinda fading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claushouse You gotta relax bro, not everything is a personal attack against you. I used you as an example because 1) I was pointing out that that I disagreed with your argument about high-star players losing out on a good game because low-star players ruin it and 2) you care about medals.

You tell me to keep my 'dumb, bullshit assumptions' about how you care about medals to myself while literally at the same time posting about how you have medals.

The point of my post was to say that TWL is the opportunity for the top-tier players (sorry I included you in that list?) to play against each other while TWDT broadens the base of who can play and that I think it's important to keep both options.

I didn't say you ran anything (thank you for the TWDT seasons you have run, by the way); I didn't say this was your fault; I didn't say you were afraid of competition; I didn't say you were bad or an asshole or anything. I said you were elitist, you really disagree? Why you mad?
    Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
    Message has been sent to online moderators
    2:BLeeN> veh yes
    (Overstrand)>no
    2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
    2:BLeeN> ok then no
    :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
    (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

• Originally posted by Claushouse View Post

it's annoying averaging 57-5 in terr over 18 games and missing the playoffs by 1 win because your 6*s go 1-10 in TWDT-D and TWDT-J every game and completely throw. and it happens to teams over and over and over. that's not parity. that's a ridiculously broken system.
      Separating Draft Leagues would help fix this issue. Why should a TWDT-B team be held back by the DTD or DTJ side of things?

You know what would also fix the broken 6* system? Fixing the broken draft ratings. There's always people rated 6* that are actually 7*s, 7*s that are actually 8*s, *8s that are actually 9*s, etc. There are also a ton of 6*s that should be 4*s instead. This is common sense for people that actually play in these ships regularly, but what always ended up happening in the past when I played was a bunch of people who haven't played in the last 5 years end up doing the ratings.

What also ends up happening is that people only look at TWL stats and think that actually matters, except that DT doesn't allow that kind of stacking. Suddenly, those 10* players play like 7*s and people wonder why they aren't getting full value out of them. Those 10*s start blaming the 6*s for their issues, even though the basis of them being a 10* was based on a broken TWL system. That 10* isn't a 10* when they're no longer surrounded by other 10* players doing all the little things that make playing a billion times easier than it is trying to carry a team full of 6* and 7*s in TWL. It's far more difficult to play with 6-7*s nonstop even in twd and maintain your sanity, let alone stats while getting Ws. It's not even that 6-7*s can't get decent recs, but moreso that they are as wildly inconsistent as they come and will go 3-10 in 3 minutes flat at all the wrong times. There is no possible way to count on those people to do their part on a regular basis, which is not the case when playing on one of the few stacked TWL teams.

Point is, the rating system has always been garbage, because people don't understand how to rate others properly. Game doesn't always recognize game. Look at Michael Jordan as a GM in the NBA. Terrible.
      RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
      RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

• Originally posted by Exalt View Post

Separating Draft Leagues would help fix this issue. Why should a TWDT-B team be held back by the DTD or DTJ side of things?

You know what would also fix the broken 6* system? Fixing the broken draft ratings. There's always people rated 6* that are actually 7*s, 7*s that are actually 8*s, *8s that are actually 9*s, etc. There are also a ton of 6*s that should be 4*s instead. This is common sense for people that actually play in these ships regularly, but what always ended up happening in the past when I played was a bunch of people who haven't played in the last 5 years end up doing the ratings.

What also ends up happening is that people only look at TWL stats and think that actually matters, except that DT doesn't allow that kind of stacking. Suddenly, those 10* players play like 7*s and people wonder why they aren't getting full value out of them. Those 10*s start blaming the 6*s for their issues, even though the basis of them being a 10* was based on a broken TWL system. That 10* isn't a 10* when they're no longer surrounded by other 10* players doing all the little things that make playing a billion times easier than it is trying to carry a team full of 6* and 7*s in TWL. It's far more difficult to play with 6-7*s nonstop even in twd and maintain your sanity, let alone stats while getting Ws. It's not even that 6-7*s can't get decent recs, but moreso that they are as wildly inconsistent as they come and will go 3-10 in 3 minutes flat at all the wrong times. There is no possible way to count on those people to do their part on a regular basis, which is not the case when playing on one of the few stacked TWL teams.

Point is, the rating system has always been garbage, because people don't understand how to rate others properly. Game doesn't always recognize game. Look at Michael Jordan as a GM in the NBA. Terrible.
        Been saying for several twdt seasons that the star system is broken. It inflated the wrong way. I cant say that i preform 75% in wb (7.5*) of what a 10 star does. Lets say a 10* averages about 14 kills a game, would mean a 7.5 should do like 10-11 kills. While that's like a good game from me and i am more like 7-10 rec guy.. In the old days a 10 was rare, even a 9 was not seen that often... While nowadays in my assumption like 50% of the active players are 8*+ and you are gonna tell me that their skill level is kinda close? We all know that turban and ease are next level in jav. Yet we give a bunch of others a 10 rating as well whom arent their level with all due respect. This happens even worse the lower you go on ratings. You cant tell me that siaxis, Riverside and lockdown are the same level in jav, while they all were 7.5...

Comment

• Exalt yes separating all 3 leagues and doing the drafts separately in TWDT would fix all those problems, but that makes too much sense for it to happen.

basing cup 2020 was a 1-league draft and a big success. you simply expand it to 8 or 10 teams, and voila, you have a better TWDT.

the only downside is good players would be on different teams in different leagues, but i see that as a minor inconvenience.

it also eliminates the need for star ratings, except for the purposes of trades. limit trades to 1 league (or eliminate trading, like basing cup did.)

to make the draft go faster, anyone you pick who is rated below 8* in any league is automatically added to your team in other leagues. so if you take a 10* in wb and they're 7* in jav and 7* in base, they're added to your team in all 3 leagues. but ease would have to be manually drafted 3x since he's 10* 10* 10*.

the ratings would still exist for the purposes of auto drafting and maybe trading. but it wouldn't be needed for the games as the per-league drafts serve as an automatic balancer.

i agree ratings are a huge issue and players are often underrated, or players who play on really good TWL squad and are good, high-IQ team players can be over-starred and struggle in TWL (that doesn't make them "overrated" necessarily, being able to play with and against high-caliber talent has a lot of value. there are elite TWDT players who struggle in TWL. they're different skillsets.)

TWL is still an important part of the puzzle, there's more pressure and it asks different things from you. It's just not what should be the main focus of the zone. Draft leagues are the bread and butter of this game. The problem is TWDT is way more dependent on good ratings and quality league ops to work well.
          top 100 basers list

Comment

• n ixilt am the bist ithlite u will efir come into cintict w/ on video game or irl, but i jus thought ppl learn their lissin about beink a pipsquik when they r 5 yr old when sum1 tells them 2 stop cryink about fairniss

Comment

• Originally posted by Claushouse View Post
              Exalt

i agree ratings are a huge issue and players are often underrated, or players who play on really good TWL squad and are good, high-IQ team players can be over-starred and struggle in TWL (that doesn't make them "overrated" necessarily, being able to play with and against high-caliber talent has a lot of value. there are elite TWDT players who struggle in TWL. they're different skillsets.)
              This is a good point. The skillset to play with and against high-level talent and to do the little things that help win those games is different than playing with lower-level talent, mostly because those little things don't get noticed or taken advantage of by lower-level players. Meanwhile, that will absolutely be taken advantage of by a high-level person and can swing games in TWL. It complicates things though, because how do you rate a TWL 10* team-player who swings those games when surrounded by high-IQ players, but cannot necessarily carry them when surrounded by lower-skilled people? I don't know the answer to that myself, but I do know that it likely has lost more than one TWDT season when those guys get rated/drafted too high and are expected to be a carry instead of a compliment.
              RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
              RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

• Originally posted by Majorcrisis2 View Post

Been saying for several twdt seasons that the star system is broken. It inflated the wrong way. I cant say that i preform 75% in wb (7.5*) of what a 10 star does. Lets say a 10* averages about 14 kills a game, would mean a 7.5 should do like 10-11 kills. While that's like a good game from me and i am more like 7-10 rec guy.. In the old days a 10 was rare, even a 9 was not seen that often... While nowadays in my assumption like 50% of the active players are 8*+ and you are gonna tell me that their skill level is kinda close? We all know that turban and ease are next level in jav. Yet we give a bunch of others a 10 rating as well whom arent their level with all due respect. This happens even worse the lower you go on ratings. You cant tell me that siaxis, Riverside and lockdown are the same level in jav, while they all were 7.5...
                mostly agree with MC except he's more of a 3-10 wb rec guy

Comment

• My only gripe with TWDT is the disparities you see with player ratings in conjunction with the current league format which uses a salary cap of sorts. This is most noticeable when you look at lower rated players as they tend to be the ones who make or break a team. It is a vastly different experience to play with a lower rated player who consistently drops decent scores which is ultimately what makes the league somewhat imbalanced as those players give a huge advantage to any team.

Everyone knows that it is an impossible task to accurately rate hundreds of players in three different leagues. Every season we end up having a large portion of players with inflated ratings which is essentially a countermeasure to lower the risk of having players with broken ratings, but that in return makes it difficult to justify drafting or even adding some of these players. As a result several players are effectively denied from participating in the league before the season even starts while those who slipped through the cracks reap all the benefits.

In the end there is no such thing as a perfect league and that's why it is important to have variety in our leagues throughout the year to cater different player archetypes in our zone.
                  Last edited by Turban; 04-27-2021, 06:02 AM.

Comment

• Could allow ratings adjustments during the season to fix broken players. To be used rarely, but it's better than leaving them broken all season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rab View Post
                      Could allow ratings adjustments during the season to fix broken players. To be used rarely, but it's better than leaving them broken all season.
                      Awful idea.

Comment

• Every semi-fair league that I know of has a type of salary cap that allows for even distribution. This is more important when the captains are all different in skill and their ability to pick a good team.

Have enough teams, and you won't have 10 stars sitting (which is theoretically unacceptable).

Doing ratings over one 4 hour session... not having a set number of each rating (for example: eight 10* for each league, fifteen 9.5*).

The rating process was streamed.. the first hour was like 15 people, and the next hour was 50, and so on. These are pretty easy fixes. It looks like there are a few people who have stepped up and would be willing to improve the ratings.

With summer coming and quarantine finishing off, inclusive leagues can help keep the game going.

The order can be TWDT, and then a hybrid TWL-TWDT where you're able to play with who you want, but with your TWDT rating. Increase the star cap so that there's enough flexibility. This is equivalent to a salary cap.

The objective of playing a game is to have fun, and most people have fun when the games are competitive.
                        Last edited by Riverside; 04-28-2021, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• The rating process itself can also be changed.

Ask rating volunteers to find the 10s, 9.5s, 7s, etc. This is instead of rating each individual player.

Comment

• I have watched the past couple rating streams and after the first 20 players it gets sluggish and some what rushed. Fix it by doing half if the players one day and the other half another day.

Comment

• Also, fix it by not saying "this person played has been playing for more than two years therefore they can't be below a 7* regardless of if they play that ship." For example, I'm a 7* in warbird. I've never played warbird even non-competitively.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: There is no point in having a 10* rating system if you only use 4 numbers. And no, the .5 star change didn't fix shit.
                              Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
                              Message has been sent to online moderators
                              2:BLeeN> veh yes
                              (Overstrand)>no
                              2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
                              2:BLeeN> ok then no
                              :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
                              (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

• Why not get crazy a little and have a completely randomized draft. Rather than the caps selecting the players, the picks are randomly generated. This might not guarantee parity, but it could certainly create some chaos. The caps would be eligible to draft equally from player pools of different stars in different leagues(equivalent number of 10* to each cap, 9* etc.)

Asia Minor> see you sunday fuckers
                                Asia Minor> maybe not
                                Asia Minor> i hope you guys lose
                                bloodzombie> I hope your mom fucks you while you sleep
                                bloodzombie> every time you have a wet dream, it's really your mom fucking you
                                bloodzombie> remmeber that next time
                                bloodzombie> seriously

Comment

Working...
                                X