TWL Season 17 - In Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWL Season 17 - In Review

I would like to start off this thread by congratulating my squad Pandora.

Triple Crown, kiss the rings idiots. More on this later in the thread.

The Purpose of this Thread:

I do plan on making this a pretty tryhard thread so I figured I would outline the main points of this novel. For one, I will touch on this specific TWL season and the future of TWL going forward. I would be remiss if I said I was not going to dole out some personal vindication. And lastly, I will comment about the Trench Wars community.

TWL Season 17

With Ease stepping down from TWL-OP, this season showed very little promise from the outset. Last seasons concerns of hoarding, unequal distribution of competition, and overall lack of proper structuring seemed to bleed into this season that just passed. Specifically, we saw the power of the frivolous appeal when Fierce had a colossal melt down against my squad Pandora (see: 24 0-10). Dudgeon's pointless appeal to a game in which they had no real interest furthered the jumble that was TWL Season 17. Additionally, we were all witness to Cougars postponing 65 games and having all 86 on the same day. With current concerns of the League's death, this cannot be tolerated absent exceptional circumstances; a sentiment shared by many.

This is not to discredit TWL staff. Though some of them left something to be desired, as a collective whole this year's TWL-ops did what they could. For this we should all be grateful. In comparison to previous years, overall outlook, morale, and interest in this season's TWL was lackluster. It is hard to combat the views of the many stubborn constituents of Trench Wars. In the end, the season was still fun to watch.

TWLD

In terms of competition and overall interest, TWLD showed potential. With Raid amassing the quality warbirds like Racka, Best, Kyou from various B-level squads, Reaver seemed prime to lead his squad to an LD title. Pandora, with the aide of beam and Ease, sought to recruit as many warbirds as they can to make the squad a triple threat. Though, many of them were already taken by the time TWLD was considered a real possibility, Pandora managed to get Mythril who proved to be irreplaceable come playoff time. Cobra, led by Creatard were true contenders too, with the likes of Murder and Ricko. And of course Sweet (who somehow won TWLD in the past) with Riverside, Jones, Vitja, Dak, and Burnt seemed like surefire finalists at the outset of the season. It goes without saying that Fierce, reigning TWLD champions (Lol gg idiots) seemed prime to add another undefeated season and title to their achievements.

Yet as the season went on, TWLD, just like TWLJ, was subject to deterioration. The biggest factor in this was Raid being almost non-existent towards the latter parts of the season. Through Reaver's unexplained absence it seemed as though, TWLD had the life sucked out of it. There was still banter shared in Thunder chat about TWLD (mind you we have Sweet, Pandora, and Cobra all represented in the chat), but this overall competitive spirit was not shared among the TWLD community. Fierce stood at the outset of this exchange, really feeling no threat from the rest of the league, and rightfully so. Though Pandora ended up spanking the Ventrilo all-stars (more on this to follow), interest in the leagues was not significant until the very end of the playoffs.

TWLJ

For a while (seasons 11-16), TWLJ was the marquee division of TWL. Competition was stiff as season after season javs looked to overthrow the Dynasty that was Thunder and Dice (I'll have it known that once Thunder fell off, Dice then came in to replace the void left by the javelin behemoth). The season started off with some controversy as last year's concern of hoarding reared its ugly head through Pandora's stacked roster of elite javelins. Everyone found a commonality element in hating on the newly minted Pandora with shayde and Zid Jackson leading the charge. Despite the outcry of foul play, TWLJ still managed to present a worthy field this season. Fierce with 24 (lol gg douchebag how about you give the donation money back), Havok, Siecle, Apok was a force to be reckoned with. Though Cobra was plagued with the semi-finals curse via Flared, the squad consisted of a majority of Thunder's Violish users, whom on their best day could easily win against any squad. Dudgeon, the Cinderella story of this year's TWLJ, turned a lot of heads as they cruised to the playoffs where they met the hand of Sweet's underdog javelins. Led by Marge, Sweet saw its way to an unexpected finals appearance.

Overall, this years' TWLJ field was weaker than previous seasons but it still provided ample entertainment for onlookers and plenty of challenging games for contestants. A note must be made here about my prediction thread as I predicted that the 12 team limit would dilute the field. And sure enough it did. With Raid having a mid-season fall out and Cougars, Ate, Sixies, unicorns!, and Sage (unfortunately) contributing nothing to TWLJ itself, this season could have easily been bettered with an 8 team cap.

TWLB

By far this years' most competitive field, TWLB gave us some great headlines to work with over the course of the season. With Pandora adding Spezza and Kate to police under while complimenting shayde, Ease, Leitz, Sarger and others, Pandora looked to net Ease's first ever TWLB medal. Returning powerhouse Penetrate loomed in the foreground with Domi, veloce, and a plethora of strong basers. Dudgeon, Sweet, and Cobra all vied to be playoff contenders while the rest of the league was forced to sit idle. It is a shame that Raid's basers could not stick around, as it may have made things interesting. However, it all turned out for the best as Pressure found a home with this year's biggest headliner, Revenge. With a strong 8-0 season, Revenge cruised to the finals only to meet the brick wall that was Pandora (good game Mean Gene). Those who complain that this year's TWL was a joke, need not look further than the TWLB competition. Sure many of the big names have retired, but the field was competitive nonetheless. Those who want to point out the fact that Dice was not in this years competition need to realize they were interspersed among various squads, mostly Sage. If it weren't for Stayon's dissolution of the squad, there would have been more competition; not to mention Riverside's rash decision to axe megaman.

Pandora

To all you butthurt scrubs out there: Good Game. Can you spell Triple Crown? In all seriousness, everyone hated on Pandora this year for hoarding players. But in reality, did you watch the finals? Across the board, the finals were the most competitive they have been in a while. Pandora was taken to three rounds in all three finals and almost every one of the games were close. Sure there was a copious amount of skill on the Pandora roster, but to say that Pandora won TWL before the season even started is outrageous and only discredits the players in other squads.

But that is crazy to think about right? Pandora won TWL. Literally, we just won TWL.

Anyways I digress. There are plenty of positives that came out of Pandora this season. In the era of declining interest, we gave the community a common purpose: to hate on the overlords of the game. We furthered interest in the league as a whole. Will they triple crown? Will they choke in the playoffs because they really aren't that good? These questions and more were posed throughout the season and kept these playoffs interesting. Everyone wanted to see Pandora lose and to see them win a triple crown only adds fuel to the fire. Stated differently, we are the hero TWL deserves, but not the one it needs right now. And so you guys can hate us, because we can take it. (Dark Knight anyone?). Those who want to discredit Pandora's triple crown because of "lack of competition" or people not "caring" are just ruing the day they didn't ask to join. Even if (and this is a big if), your statements about lack of interest and declining competition are true, it takes a certain group of caliber players to execute a triple crown. There is a reason it has never been done before and probably will never be done again.

TWL Going Forward

Quite frankly, I can see this being the last TWL. This may be an over-exaggeration of the state of things, but the general disposition seems to be that TW is coming to a close. If this is truly the case, then so be it. In actuality though, I do not think this game will die out that easily. With that being said, there are a plethora of things that can be done to improve and hopefully garner more interest in TWL and TW as a whole next season. For one the rules need to be re-written. 24 all taught us this season that the rules are poorly phrased. I am personally offering to help change these rules. I do not consider myself more qualified than others for the task, but it is the least I can do for a game that I enjoy logging on to. Obviously the league needs to be restructured with the aid of the community. The community, if they want to see another TWL season, should come together and work out how they want the leagues to be conducted. Once again, I would gladly partake in this endeavor if it means seeing more TWL seasons. There is a reason that people keep logging on to this game notwithstanding the continuing release of popular games (see: LoL). As for competition, so long as there are egos, I do not see there being a decline in squads willing to play in the league. Lets be honest, if Children can win a medal, so can anyone in the zone.

Personal Vindication

In no particular order:

24: Good game you fucking moron. This guy would literally spec in javduel if his team was losing by a great margin because his precious little ego couldn't handle losing in a meaningless scrimmage. Look how that went for you. 0-10 and a swift loss to a bunch of basers in the semi's. Anyone can pull good recs by hiding behind their teammates and running at the first sign of being outnumbered. There is a reason Ease is 14 times the jav you are. Also, give the donation money back to TW so it can actually be used to further this game. Ill-gotten money rarely ever pays dividends.

Apok: You are a horrible jav, and good work calling a TWLD victory and then losing.

Havok: Where you at bro? Losing because vent bugged on you too much for you to handle? Please don't log on again.

Tiny: Annoying as all hell. You are cool for the most part, but after you constantly call me bad in old Sk8 chat you go and completely blow a huge BBC in the playoffs? Good work. Honestly I would completely dominate you in a JD any day. A good jav would never choke in the PLAYOFFS.

Mean Gene: Good game scrub. I honestly don't know how you managed to pull a victory against Fierce but that is the only thing you contributed to TWLJ. I notice you go around calling people ugly. Are you projecting? I am not well versed in human psychology but I'm sure claushouse has a theory or two on your constant need to call people ugly on a 2d game. If said theories are true, then I am sorry, you can always pay for sex.

Vys/Best: You guys are awful and there is a reason, despite your all-star performances as starters, you have not won a medal in the one ship you play. Stay mediocre.

And to all of those who discredit Pandora's three ring performance: Kiss the rings, lemmings.

General thoughts about the TW Community:

Though the preceding section contains a bit of trolling, I hope you guys realize that this is what makes this game unique. Despite our hatred for one another, we still manage to come together and have a cohesive sense of belonging. Quite honestly it is refreshing to get on and see claushouse insulting others behind his veil of ?ignore (personal hatred aside, great work on the write-ups, though you can make your sentences a little more digestible as you tend to clump separate ideas into the same sentence). Or Children promoting his YouTube channel while showcasing his lack of mastery of the English language. Fozzcat typing like a cat or seeing Rule and amnesti in javduel for hours on end is what truly gets people to log on each and every day. The relationships you guys have all made with your respective core group of friends has carried this game this far. It would be a shame to see it die out. Though you guys may play other games, Trench Wars will always provide an avenue of communicating with friends. If this truly is the last season of TWL, then I have enjoyed sharing it with each and everyone of you (even if the lot of you are a bunch of uneducated morons). If this is not the last season, then I will be glad to keep logging on and hearing how I am the best bench warmer of all time (sorry but I take my law school finals as a priority over killing the competition in TWLJ). Even if at the end of the day you hate me or everyone in the game, I am simply saying what is collectively understood but never spoken: we enjoy the company we keep in this game, which is why we keep logging on to interact with the same retards everyday.

Triple Crown Tsunami signing off.

Until next time peons.

Last edited by Tsunami; 05-06-2013, 01:21 AM.

gg engi going unnoticed

Comment

very emotional atm gr8 writeup tsu xD
      Gun remembers.

Comment

tl;dr version plz

Comment

Originally posted by Tsunami View Post
          twlj

there really is no denying that pandora was superstacked in javelins, considering sweet reached finals with riverside and hulk. both played fine though but i don't think anyone considered them starters for a finalist squad at the beginning of the season.

that said. good job pandora on winning all 3.
          TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Good write-up Tsu. I think this more or less accurately represents how people felt about TWL season 15. I'm glad you feel a sense of responsibility towards helping keep a game alive that has provided us all with so much enjoyment(and despair) throughout the years. That's why we play the game. I hope to one day be around to see TWL Season 25, and then TWL Season 50 and beyond. That is why beyond all the personal vendettas, I feel your message of responsibility should be what rings true to others, and we can do our duty to preserve this game. Lastly, congrats Pandora! You guys were a well oiled machine and you deserve the titles, even if I think Revenge would win a best of 5.
            3:disown> some dude just honked at me
            3:waven> if i get any more medals its gonna crash the site
            3:disown> pulling him over
            3:disown> fukin clown
            3:Revolt> you driving?
            3:disown> yes
            3:disown> at work
            3:Revolt> ??
            3:tmac <ZH>> the fuk
            3:Revolt> in police car
            3:disown> pulling him over, one sec
            3:tmac <ZH>> LOL
            3:Revolt> playing trench wars?
            3:Revolt> ?????????
            3:disown> yes got a dell in here
            3:tmac <ZH>> pro
            3:disown> im alttabbed on chat

Comment

Originally posted by T Mac-1 View Post
              even if I think Revenge would win a best of 5.
              Let us just clear up 13 and a half hours for that LOL
              SSCU Trench Wars TRIPLE CROWN WINNER
              SSCU Trench Wars
              Triple Threat
              SSCU Trench Wars TWEL Top 3 Finalist
              SSCU Trench Wars Starting Spider Melee 2003
              SSCU Trench Wars TWLJ Champion (2x)
              SSCU Trench Wars TWLD Champion
              SSCU Trench Wars Michael Schumacher of Racing2
              SSCU Trench Wars Unprecedented Balancing KING
              SSCU Trench Wars TWLJ Top Stats 3 years running

MAD shoutouts to MUH BOYS atm

Comment

Accurate depiction of LB. People are calling it a joke league, in a season that had 8 fully active squads. Last season there were 2 of them, Dice and Penetrate. No one else even came close. One key player can change everything. Which is why players like renzi / dwopple / necro / chief utsav were such an integral component of cobra's success. If they'd chosen to stack sage or sweet, with mega and crew the dynamic may have been entirely different.

Our squad was never favoured to go far, but we did it with our mainstay core. We had 5 or 6 spids that started consistently, 3 sharks rotating, and 2 terrs. You don't need 12 of tw's top spids on one roster, it's retarded and it's the source of imbalance within the league.

Next season, I'm hoping people choose their squads wisely . We can either let competition become stagnant, by taking the gutless route. Or we can allow it to thrive by sticking with a traditional core, or by starting a new one.
                Just so long as it's not built up as "Two heavy hitting squads, and a bunch of weak links with no chance to win". This concept alone is detrimental to the future and continuity of the league..

Aside from the semi-collapse of sweet, and the disaster on sage. This season had a pretty good turnout.
                Last edited by squallFF8; 05-06-2013, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Great write up Tsunami.

This has been a really crazy/competitive season for TWLB. I think that's what the game needs to stay alive, quite frankly. Show the casuals that the game can be competitive, and not a one sided game in terms of competition. I think this won't be the last season, I think there will be quite a few more after this. Hopefully the Steam thing goes through, I'm not holding my breath, but new players for TWL would make this game exciting again.

Shout out to thix/Downfall/Cig for Revenge.
                  Shout to AcidBomber/Trasher for holding it down for Penetrate
                  Shout out to Spastic for SHOWING up every week, even if people gave us very little chance to win - we showed some great potential.
                  TWLD Champion 2014
                  TWDTB Champion 2013
                  TWDTB Champion 2016
                  TWDTB Champion 2017
                  TWDTB Champion 2019.. my last one.
                  -tj hazuki/hazuki :wub:

Comment

squall we weren't stacked, if we were we would have won in 2 rounds and not needed to sub out a spid in round 3 to turn it around. i think you called us gutless there, why bro why

Comment

You guys didnt stack. 3 sharks, a spid line of about 5-7. It was more of a reference to other years, where competition was weaker, less diversity.

I am guilty of that, sitting stagnant on pene roster last season. While players like leitz / nl>trigger / glavitik / schope possibly? were kept in a vault on a squad thats already favoured to win without them. (and they did... without them). Wasteful. That amount of skill could allow a lower tier team to make playoffs..

Alot of people made an attempt to do it right this season, and the results clearly show where we need to go from here.

Comment

eh, treading a fine line.

pandora's line, along with dice's last year, might be the two strongest in lb history. if you look at vids from a few seasons ago, even dice and pandora seemed to have less insanely strong lines.

twl 16 dice had: cape, a2m/tab, stayon/cripple/megaman89/jamal/domi
                        twl 17 pandora had: cape, mattey/vati, shayde/spezza/ease/sarger/kate

compare that to:

twl 14 pandora final: tim, mythril/vati, shayde/evul/diakka/sarger/squallFF8

this is a line that started in the LB finals vs pene. tim, mythril, and diakka are on the bench, as was leitz round 3, with zidane/omega red/under all able bodies as well. so you're talking about a lot of guys who started in LB finals for pandora now benching for the very same squad.

twl 15 dice final: chief utsav, a2m/tab, stayon/cripple/megaman89/paska/mikes

not making a positive or negative judgment, but the trend definitely seems towards consolidation. hard for a squad like revenge who's got no starters on the bench to compete with that depth in every position -- if revenge had tim or diakka, is there any doubt they would have started them in the final?
                        top 100 basers list

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse View Post
                          if revenge had tim or diakka, is there any doubt they would have started them in the final?
                          ya

Comment

good writeup. i didn't really try to stack pandora (javs) but it just kinda happened. this season was very competitive imo, especially LB.

Comment

Good to see people still talking about dice when we didn't even play this season. I'll let it slide though squall since I know it's just your emotions talking after losing in the finals. I know what it feels like (not).
                              DICE TWLJ/TWLB SEASON 8 CHAMP
                              DICE TWLB SEASON 10 CHAMP
                              DICE TWLB SEASON 11 CHAMP
                              DICE TWLB SEASON 13 CHAMP
                              DICE TWLJ/TWLB SEASON 15 CHAMP
                              DICE TWLJ/TWLB SEASON 16 CHAMP

1:waven> i promised myself that the only way id ever roid
                              1:waven> is if im going to prison
                              1:waven> no one gonna try to rape me

Comment

Working...
                              X