How to make recruiting and looking for a squad easier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fit of Rage
    Sad, but Stab speaks the truth. There are very few decent ?go base players left that aren't already on a [competitive] squad. So the next step is that everybody hops around till they find a squad they can stand. It'll be like musical chairs.

Ready? Go!
    New people enter ?go base everyday, and just because they don't know how they can play in there doesn't make them newbies.
    When you played in pub for quite some time you can pick basing up in a few months, even if you only fooled around in terrier or warbird your entire usage before.
    I never went to other arena's or events. For the first 2 years I didn't even notice the adds , and therefor I was quite unknown, and I never changed my nick! Then (I think Da Maniac) told me about ?go #mythrandir and I went there. At that moment I wasn't decent either, and didn't get picked, my first game was in warbird and I did nothing but suiciding in the direction of warportal.

Just because I didn't know what the basegame was really about and wasn't seen as at least decent, didn't mean I didn't have the potential. And I know a dozen of people that went trough the same course.

If you are going to stare yourself blind at those people that already squaded up because they made it, you are going to miss the chance of lifting someone else to the top.
    You ate some priest porridge

Comment

100% agree with Zerzera.
      - k2

Comment

Geez, Zerzera I haven't seen you for months, nice to see you are still around.

Yes, there is lots of potential out there in new players. You just never know, someone thats looks highly unskilled at first, may turn out to be very good player 2 months down the road.

This attitude of calling people newbs is a very unclassy-lame-egotistical act.

*Cause in the end, you hurt the growth of Trench Wars.... we need more new players... cause some retire, and its always good to get new blood.

I have come across some nasty personalities in both pubs/elim, but then again I have come across some good personalities. No matter where you go, there is always a few rotten apples.

I respect people who treat the game as a game.... Ok, you beat me, don't have to rub my face into sh!t... thanks for the game... I learnt something from the match, even though I lost..... maybe I'll do better next time. Thats how I treat it, sometimes I find it hard to contain myself... but your a better person and the real victory if you can control your anger.

Anyhow, I actually enjoy helping new players out.... its like planting seeds...heh

Comment

When I recruit people, I don't tend to look at skill that much. Silly thing to say, since skill makes people win. If the guy's nice and active, he'll play a lot with the squad/with other guys, and get the skill he needs to win games. IMO whining vets only hurt squads. (With the exception of a full squad consisting of whining vets)
          6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
          3 league vet

Comment

I hate helping new people. When I win, I keep talking about how much ass I kicked and I tell you repeatedly how shitty you are. When I start losing, I stop trying so I have a god excuse and then I just call you a newb anyway.
            http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Yep, skill isn't everything.... its also how well you get along with squadmates.... do they have a good attitude... most important are they sore losers? or they just move on and learn from the lost.

I notice.. that ever month or so.. I new squad shows up, just another repackaged vetern squad..... maybe some these veterns can't get along with each other and constantly try to restructure...who knows? They do good for a short time, but disappear 1 month later.

I have more respect for squads that hold together for many many months or years for that matter. That tells me these squads are stable, and well managed.

Comment

well for TWD season 2 I already intended to make TWD more known to the newbie (pubbers) public.

a quick mention in news.txt, a *zone every so many hours. And to have something a recruitment section on TWD (as Jeansi mentioned) has crossed my mind too.

But first I'd like to find out how new (newbie) squads get their members:
                - from dissolved TWD squads
                - IRL friends or 'friends' or subspace
                - random people in pub

How many new players are out there who would like to play TWD but can't find a TWD squad to join?

Comment

It took me a while to find a squad. In the world of basing at least, there aren't too many opportunities for new people to join active squads. I'm not that talkative so it make it that much harder for me to get to know people, etc.

I tried to get IRL friends to enter TWD. Heck, we already had a pub squad and 8-10 members, all we had to do was signup. But there wasn't enough commitment and you need more than just 8 to form a basing squad. We almost joined up with DG because they were looking at getting into basing more but other stuff was going on and it never happened.

I can't see someone who isn't on a squad knowing enough IRL friends to form a basing squad. It might happen with DD or JD. Obviously, this is one reason that RB was created but right now our waiting list is only growing longer. If there was a way to say, hey I'm interested in joining/we're looking for players, that would probably be helpful.

Comment

All people have to do is talk to others in ?go base who are looking.

I bet I could start a squad and have a full roster in a few days.. they woudln't be champions, but it would be a start.
                    http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Also, getting signed up with TWD should be more streamlined to make it a bit easier to get signedup.

I wish approving new members could be done right within the game, instead of going to the website to do this.

Perhaps, the TWDBot could have this... where squad captains could manage their squads right online using text chat... also other squad mates could get a current list of who is on their squad.

All signup and recruitment is resolved right in TWD Arena.... no going to the webpage..etc... that would be cool.

Also maybe have other stuff, like lists of top TWDD pilots or FREE AGENT Recruits..etc

Have lists of TWDD,TWJD,TWBD Ladder rankings output in text right within the game. Or to see where you squad is currently.

Oh well, just my thought on the matter...

I just hate opening up a browser, while I'm currently within the game; sort of annoying...

Comment

Mythrandir, atleast one thousand players =P
                        Originally Posted by HeavenSent
                        You won't have to wait another 4 years.
                        There wont be another election for president.
                        Obama is the Omega President.
                        http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X