India struggling to cope with Internet outages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India struggling to cope with Internet outages

This was interesting to read and hear about. The only thought that has been going though my mind, was who will India call for tech support?

NEW DELHI - Fallout spread Thursday from a cut in two undersea Internet cables off Egypt's coast, with India waking up to half of its bandwidth disrupted and widespread outages still hampering a wide swathe of the Mideast.

Officials said it could take a week or more to fix the cables, in part because of bad weather. Officials in several countries were scrambling to reroute traffic to satellites and to other cables through Asia.

In all, users in India, Pakistan, Egypt, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Bahrain were affected. Israel was unaffected by the outages because its Internet traffic is connected to Europe through a different undersea cable, and Lebanon and Iraq were also operating normally.
    No Subspace for you! best part was in reading:

The biggest impact to the rest of the world could come from the outages across India — where many U.S. companies outsource back-office operations including customer service call centers.
    Well as bad as it may seem on a tech support level, it also may have helped in lowering the spam going around the net. I would love to see how this would be handled if they are knocked off the net for at least a month. I can only wonder how companies like Verizon, Comcast, Symantec and so many other would deal with this blow. Perhaps the next time you call customer support and someone named Andy answers....it really will be his name!
    Last edited by 404 Not Found; 01-31-2008, 04:25 PM.
    May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.
Working...
X