Tips for SSD Users for Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for SSD Users for Windows

Do you have a PC or laptop with an SSD and use Windows XP/Vista/7/8? Do these 5 things that I did to make SSD not have a limited life. Last time i talked about this for Linux and firefox only. Heres more to do and for windows.

Install a RAM disk set to around 768 MB or 1 GB and

Step 1) Set TEMP and TMP to R:\Temp\TEMP\ (see screen shot for where to do this)

This will cause embedded youtubes, games and other features of yahoo messenger to download in and use RAM only plus programs to dump their Temp files in RAM.

Step 2) In internet options set the Temporary Internet Files folder to R:\TEMP\ So things that use IE as a plugin download to there, and use firefox browser and:

Step 3) About:config do what is shown in shot to make firefox use RAM only. Note that Open With in firefox uses the TEMP parameter so step 1 will fix that while this will fix browsing to be RAM only -- Also set Firefox's download folder to R:\

Step 4) Change JAVA's temp folder to be R:\TEMP\

Step 5) Turn off your pagefile -- people who say its bad advice to turn of the page file are incorrect, I have no idea what they are talking about because my RAM never fills.

The page file causes a lot of SSD writing, its the other main source of writes besides web browsing and TEMP use of programs. Together Pagefile, TEMP and web browsing account for more than 99% of writes, eliminating these writes makes an SSD no longer have a limited life.

My personal preference is to still use use a 3.6 GB including all software Windows XP system, that has many components deleted, most services disable, and appearance like windows 98 only different colors; so the labels of how to get to these windows to do the settings might be different in your windows. Use Control Panel System & Internet Options & Java to get to most these windows:

Note: browser.cache.memory.capacity has to be created as an integer, its not in about:config by default. Not shown here is turning of page file because same window already in use to show changing TEMP and TMP

Besides this I only use a 4 GB Ubuntu system and have some extra files stored on an 80 GB External Drive and 16 GB Flash Key.
Working...
X