SubSpace/Continuum not optimized for 2018 MacBook Pro OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SubSpace/Continuum not optimized for 2018 MacBook Pro OS

I have perfect ?lag numbers but every 3-4 minutes my game will glitch and I'll spike out. This never happened until I got the new MacBook. It happens everywhere I play (multiple different ISPs and locations) which makes me certain it's the new computer itself and not the internet connection. I don't think the Continuum 0.39 MacBook client is optimized for the new operating system.

Anyone know who programmed the MacBook version of SS and how to contact them so I can get this fixed?

Originally posted by Pressure View Post
    I have perfect ?lag numbers but every 3-4 minutes my game will glitch and I'll spike out. This never happened until I got the new MacBook. It happens everywhere I play (multiple different ISPs and locations) which makes me certain it's the new computer itself and not the internet connection. I don't think the Continuum 0.39 MacBook client is optimized for the new operating system.

Anyone know who programmed the MacBook version of SS and how to contact them so I can get this fixed?
    u dont use continuum 0.40?
    Big Chill

Comment

Originally posted by RoDNeY View Post

u dont use continuum 0.40?
      Just realized I do. .40c

Comment

what do you need a mac for anyway if you know you are gonna play ss
        TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Lrim or Fork can hopefully help with this. In my experience the mac version was unplayable and glitchy and broke every time macOS updated. I had to buy a Windows laptop just for SS.
          Best> Para is the only guy i know who can put a quarter up his nostrils lol

Comment

honestly you should look into dualbooting a windows install, for a variety of reasons including, but definitely not limited to, the ability to play continuum

with the addition of WSL, there is now zero net benefit to owning a mac, unless you just hate money and the idea of right-clicking things

if you dont feel like buying windows 10, windows 7 is easy as shit to crack and microsoft still offers free upgrades to 10, so, it's that easy
            NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

I have the same problem as pressure. My ping is solidly good, then out of nowhere I'll spike crazily and ppl will tell me to get off dial up lol. I'm seriously considering buying a cheap PC just for subspace if I can save up enough money(and yes my fam is a lil rich, but my parents don't just hand me money, but yes I do live comfortably, Ima lucky boy)
              1:ikpt> this has become more entertaining than playing
              1:lynnja> anything is more interesting than trenchwars
              1:lynnja> have you just realised that
              1:ph> this is not for amusement purposes, we are trying to save duel pasta from a life of misery and genital warts.

"The world is a wheel where everyone steals, and when we rise it's like strawberry fields."

Comment

As Wirah says, each time the Mac OS updates, Cont also (generally) needs to be updated. This is because there's nobody actually programming it, but just re-wrapping it with a Windows-emulating program called Wine. You can actually do this yourself, if you want to give it a try. Though it might be a little tricky.

If you go the route of getting a separate system, don't forget that Continuum will run on a figurative toaster. You should buy a used system, and this system doesn't need to cost you much. At a 2nd hand store you can aim to pay around $20-30. If the hard drive isn't shot, you're probably good, though it's still a risk.

The less risky option is at a refurbished tech store. They make money buying bulk PCs off of businesses that are upgrading their entire lineup. They wipe the drive and install using a new Windows key. You not only get a genuine, legal and freshly-installed version of Windows this way, but you can also take it back if something goes wrong. This should run you about $75-100. Highly recommended.

Lastly, you can send out a Craigslist message that you'll pay $50 for pretty much any old laptop. People have tech sitting in their closets they never use, and if they can get $50 for it, it's worth the trouble. Just tell them you'll reformat the drive so they don't need to worry about personal info. Then download an ISO for that version of Windows, use the Windows key on the case and reformat.

Or, download a Linux install and use Lutris. The user-friendly flavors of Linux such as Ubuntu these days install themselves as easily as Windows: https://lutris.net/games/subspace-continuum/
                "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I've played on a MacBook for 7 years and was never an issue until I bought the new MBP...

qan, I don't understand this "Linux install" and Lutris business. Can you elaborate?
                  Last edited by Pressure; 03-05-2019, 11:23 AM.

Comment

It's honestly kind of a pain. You'd need to repartition your hard drive, then install Linux. Then install Steam, and use Lutrix to automatically adapt the Steam installer to Linux.

I sent some messages to spiffyguy, who wrapped the last Mac version. Maybe he'll be able to help this time around, too.
                    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."

Comment

spiffyguy says he'll post an updated version within a week.

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
                        spiffyguy says he'll post an updated version within a week.
                        What a god. Thank you both. In case he needs to know, I'm running my MBP on Mojave OS.

Comment

I agree my newer 2017 MBP has struggled much more than past macbooks. Assuming because the continuum client isn't optimized for the newer OS. Since updating to Mojave I've been having that spiking lag issue more and more as well. Before updating to mojave I could play on 1600x1080 or whatever without screen lag / skipping. Now I can only play on 1280x1024.

The skipping ship/screen lag is the most annoying part for me. Makes it really hard to jav. The spiking / lag seems to be a newer thing and also sucks.

Comment

I am working on the new version. It is not ready yet but close. Mojave is different than any of the OS's before it and Wine acts a bit funny on it. I do have an updated wrapper that works well on Mojave (so far). Once I test it on more machines I will post the update!

- Spiffyguy
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so much spiffyguy

Comment

Working...
                              X