No announcement yet.

Bring back TWEL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 for getting TWEL back up and running. 1v1 and 2v2 would be nice. We could do it after TWDT is done before TWL starts back up. Should host it on Sundays though since that is what players are used to.

-1 for the idea of fee to play, playerbase is too small for that, we could however use pubbucks for fee, which could also encourage people to play pub to earn said pubbucks.
    Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

rylo> 1.5 mil for whoever kills renzi
    (10 seconds later)
    rEnZi is out. 17 kills 10 deaths. 2 players remain.
    P TW-Pub> rylo sent you $1,500,000, you now have $4,047,199.

If you're going to do a thing you should to it to the best of your ability or don't do it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
      I had proposed a buy-in tournament for TWEL in the past, but it was shut down for legal reasons when the zone was more active.

I would not mind participating in a TWEL-J season while throwing in some chump change for a prize pool, but I daresay it would be better to keep the season free for all to encourage people to participate while only those who paid the buy-in fee would be eligible to receive the prize money.
      This is perfect. Free for all, but if you want to win the cash prize you have to pay $10 before the start of the tournament. If the winner didn't pay the entry fee he get no money and we keep that money to swell next season's cash prize.

Edit : That way tightfisted peoples get fucked and that's deserved.
      Last edited by ronaldinho; 08-05-2019, 12:27 PM. Reason: error

Comment

Cool idea. I've wondered why nobody was willing to host this since I last did in 2016, as many players have reached out over the last few years saying they're interested in playing it. My response to them and to you is the same though - I don't have the time or energy for it. I'm glad it seems that you do. I think if done properly, there are enough players interested to make it a great season. The TWEL title is one of the rarest and most prestigious in the game. There's no getting carried to it.

I'm the only one around who has experience hosting TWEL in the entire zone, so I hope you/whoever would take my advice on how to run it properly. Unfortunately, the majority of the previous seasons had 50%+ disqualifications and tiny fractions of elite players competing in the league. In contrast, my seasons had very minimal forfeits and stacked playoff brackets every season. Neither of those happened by accident. To give you an idea of how bad some of these earlier seasons were, TWEL Season 1 didn't even have a playoffs.

TWEL structure in theory is incredibly simple. You have a short qualifying, set up a seeded playoff bracket and then people duel and knock each other out. Sounds easy, but if you want it done on a level that makes the title worth anything, it's going to take some extra effort. This is because of three things that all deal with player motivation:

1. 1v1 threatens the ego and e-rep of everyone participating more than any other league
        2. most people suck at dueling
        3. the people who suck at dueling refuse to acknowledge the legitimacy and reputation of the league

The number of people who fall in category 3 will expand proportionately to the amount of people who get knocked out of the tournament. I'm going to assume you can figure out why. If not, please re-read #2. Don't let them bring you down my friend. They are not built for the extreme sport that is TWEL.

As stated already, the format isn't worth changing too much. Have a qualifying with joke criteria for entry (5 duels per league or something, be in the top 16/32 or whatever on ladder.) But most importantly, make sure the great duelers are willing to participate. This is the #1 thing you have to do. I never ran TWEL without first being assured racka/lasenza/turban/vys/ease/zidane/amputate/kim/best/iron/tiny/kim/amnesti/vash types were willing to play. I felt it was also important to make sure the previous champions were going to defend their title. The rest of the people will follow if you get the big names involved. People like RaCka, LaSenza, Ease, Turban, Vys etc. can blow up ?go duel to 30+ people when they're getting their qualifying games in. You need them.

Have an active TWEL Op who has some standing in the community to pressure the scared people (75% of players) into completing their duels on time. That will be your biggest headache. Don't schedule TWEL on a specific day. It's refreshing to have players schedule their own duels and it's fun for spectators to watch a playoff match at all times during the week. I think most people are exhausted from the overly scheduled TWL/TWDT anyway. Buy-in would give you a pool of like 5 players per league. Don't bother. I've donated a little cash to winners each season and Wirah donated a very generous amount last season. It was awesome. Makes for a little incentive.

I hope you find someone to run this with you. I was planning on taking a break after TWDT, but I might stick around for another TWEL as a player if you get this rolling. Thanks for bringing up the conversation. It's well overdue.
        PattheBat> steadman your name is literally "a mean std"
        ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

Originally posted by Mythril View Post
          But most importantly, make sure the great duelers are willing to participate. This is the #1 thing you have to do. I never ran TWEL without first being assured racka/lasenza/turban/vys/ease/zidane/amputate/kim/best/iron/tiny/kim/amnesti/vash types were willing to play.
          Beaten most wb's on that list in TWEL and normal dueling BUT IM OKAY NOT BEING THERE.
          TWL-J Season 11 Champion
          TWL-J Season 21 Champion
          TWL-B Season 21 Champion
          TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
          TWDT-D 2017 Champion
          TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

Thanks for your answer Mythril.

However I am not interested by runing qualifications.. My only wish is a straight knockout tournament. If someone want to run it with the classic structure that's great, if not I'm agree to run it with my format if I find no big name to assist me, if players are interested and Qan authorized me to run it of course. Also I would like to run TWEL and TWDL simultaneously, in the three divisions so six leagues in total. So if you enter the six leagues (wb jav spid 1v1 2v2) you have 6 games per week as long as you aren't eliminated. Flexible Schedule, from Sunday to Sunday, up to players to plan their games with staff assistance. Bo3 and Bo5 for finals. My biggest job would be to recruit, keep the draw up to date by comunicating with players and write reviews. I did an exemple by adding all TWDT players and generating a bracket : https://challonge.com/5osqzemz.svg . This exemple would require 8 weeks to be done but we won't have 180 players in one league so 7 weeks is probably more accurate. I think we should continue to alternate TWDT and TWL, and the break between both shouldn't be bigger than one month. 1v1/2v2 can't bring as mush activity as TWL/TWDT, a lack of team leagues would be detrimental. And as 7 weeks break between both leagues is too much the best would be to start TWEL/TWDL during TWDT playoffs so in few weeks, and start TWL after TWEL/TWDL finals are over. Ogron's World Cup and Biet's custom ships in Elim are great and give legitimity to this League, TWD is the training ground for TWL/TWDT, it only miss 1v1 and 2v2. And I don't think it can bring a lot of activity that's why I keep thinking my idea is the best. Also players could play some go duel to pratice for their league game of the week.

So if players are interested by this idea and if I get upper staff authorization I can start recruiting.

Comment

Signing up for spider 1s and 2s

Comment

Working...
              X