Remove or restrict the leviathan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove or restrict the leviathan

This is probably the only post I will make on forums.

So yeah, basically public is currently unplayable due to the leviathan ship. I actually played it a lot but have not done so for a few days, and am not coming back to it until staff dispenses with this ship and its big blue retard bombs. I am probably one of the only players in pub whose ship selection generally depends on whatever I think the team needs, rather than preference (i.e getting in jav and trying to 2fer with all the other javs). I thus generally end up in terrier or shark, without at least one of which on each team no game can even happen. I mainly do this because I like improving in different ships, not because I want some form of pat on the back. But it is the sharks and the terrs of pub that you will end up losing (and the game of base which thereby ends up dying); when you're a terr, and your job is to stay alive, but you die five times in a row to some stray bomb that hits the wall half a screen away, it is pretty hard to want to continue terring, because it's pretty obvious that perservering is currently futile. And as for sharks, they die more to the big blue fucktard bomb - and especially big blue fucktard bomb tks -than any other ship.

But the basic problem with lting as a concept is that it depends on there being ships battling in fr (who are concentrated on the flag and the other freq) for it to lame, while it is at the same time killing this very fr battle that it needs to survive itself - to be "fun". Lting is therefore not only destructive to pubbase, but self-defeating also. Pubbase is itself, on the contrary, self-sustaining, and obviously has no more need of lting than an organism capable of sustaining itself needs a leech. Pubbasing also promotes the use of multiple ships and prepares for eventual tw(b)d and twl(b) play, whereas leviathan and lting promote the use of only one ship at the expense of all others (for example, many leviathans while in fr, while on a pubfreq, have said to me that it is ok to tk two if you get three enemy ships; both teams' ships are neutralised in this scenario; not only the different ships of subspace are neutralised, but also skill itself, the attainment of which is supposed to be the basis of this whole game). Also, on the topic of skill (or lack thereof in the leviathan): surely pressing tab intermittently is not a fun thing to do?

If you lt, you are essentially trolling the players of pub. "Durr 4fer even though my bomb landed nowhere near any of them. Now let's port away" - you're a troll. The worst thing is a lot of staffers seem to be thus relentlessly trolling the population of pub, as most lts unfortunately seem to involve staffers. Every day that I've logged into pub in the last few weeks, regular players have been complaining about the leviathan and especially lting. Tking the lev on your frequency has become acceptable too, and I have seen whole freqs gang up on their own lev.

I don't know why, but writing this post has just been depressing. I don't want tw to be something I have to write semi-serious (or any) posts about. Just fix pub please.

The biggest problem is that LTs are literally close to twice as powerful as before !buy.

Restrict how often you can !buy for private frequencies, restrict to safe, restrict to a ring around the edge that includes safe, change back to ?buy, don't let levis !buy before 20, don't let private freq terrs !buy port or burst unless in safe, and only once every X seconds and so forth...

So many different ways we could do this, but the way we do it isn't important so much as that it's done. They're out of control.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by Contempt View Post
      This is probably the only post I will make on forums.

So yeah, basically public is currently unplayable due to the leviathan ship. I actually played it a lot but have not done so for a few days, and am not coming back to it until staff dispenses with this ship and its big blue retard bombs. I am probably one of the only players in pub whose ship selection generally depends on whatever I think the team needs, rather than preference (i.e getting in jav and trying to 2fer with all the other javs). I thus generally end up in terrier or shark, without at least one of which on each team no game can even happen. I mainly do this because I like improving in different ships, not because I want some form of pat on the back. But it is the sharks and the terrs of pub that you will end up losing (and the game of base which thereby ends up dying); when you're a terr, and your job is to stay alive, but you die five times in a row to some stray bomb that hits the wall half a screen away, it is pretty hard to want to continue terring, because it's pretty obvious that perservering is currently futile. And as for sharks, they die more to the big blue fucktard bomb - and especially big blue fucktard bomb tks -than any other ship.

But the basic problem with lting as a concept is that it depends on there being ships battling in fr (who are concentrated on the flag and the other freq) for it to lame, while it is at the same time killing this very fr battle that it needs to survive itself - to be "fun". Lting is therefore not only destructive to pubbase, but self-defeating also. Pubbase is itself, on the contrary, self-sustaining, and obviously has no more need of lting than an organism capable of sustaining itself needs a leech. Pubbasing also promotes the use of multiple ships and prepares for eventual tw(b)d and twl(b) play, whereas leviathan and lting promote the use of only one ship at the expense of all others (for example, many leviathans while in fr, while on a pubfreq, have said to me that it is ok to tk two if you get three enemy ships; both teams' ships are neutralised in this scenario; not only the different ships of subspace are neutralised, but also skill itself, the attainment of which is supposed to be the basis of this whole game). Also, on the topic of skill (or lack thereof in the leviathan): surely pressing tab intermittently is not a fun thing to do?

If you lt, you are essentially trolling the players of pub. "Durr 4fer even though my bomb landed nowhere near any of them. Now let's port away" - you're a troll. The worst thing is a lot of staffers seem to be thus relentlessly trolling the population of pub, as most lts unfortunately seem to involve staffers. Every day that I've logged into pub in the last few weeks, regular players have been complaining about the leviathan and especially lting. Tking the lev on your frequency has become acceptable too, and I have seen whole freqs gang up on their own lev.

I don't know why, but writing this post has just been depressing. I don't want tw to be something I have to write semi-serious (or any) posts about. Just fix pub please.

You know contempt, when I play lev I always try my best to prevent tk's, but tk's are PART OF THE GAME, the intentional ones that is. When you have 30 seconds left on a round and your team is not strong enough to get flag, sometimes a lev must make a judgement call and try to clear a path into base for the sake of the round, even if a few tk's are involved.

I remember I killed 4 enemies in base doing this, and tk'ed one friendly, and the first thing you do is report it. And you report it often, wasting staff's time on unintention tk's that are PART OF THE GAME.

The designers couldve made lev bombs immune to teamates but the didnt, they wanted an aspect of bad decisions or bad outcomes from team damage.

Im not gonna even bother reading your post contempt, because my dealing with you have always been your a liar, you waste staff's time, you cry about LEGIT tk's, ie, tk's that are a result of trying to help the team out.

I think if im gonna debate anyone about LT's or levs, ill do so with people that have intelligence, are honest and moral, not some liars in pub that just hit the report button on anything related to lev just because they dont like levs and want pure basing because thats their preference 24/7.

Besides, you have personally killed my lt's tons of times with your wide reaching anti, so id say your pretty successful as it is against LT's without having to lie in pub and so forth anytime you get the chance.

Thats why me and inferno that one day went private two weeks ago because of your rampant lies/cries.

Comment

Oh look another butthurt LT killing the game thread again, but yet this one actually produced a change where they can only buy in safe. Utterly retarded to have that restriction in place. Are the staff really that upset with levs in pub? I've suggested so many changes over the years to keep the lev/change it to make it more viable while still keeping the lamers that wish to actually LT happy. But i for one am protesting the restriction to buy in safe. That will do NOTHING to curb the LT trend. Mark my words on it.

Changing the buy prices/restrictions on reps and such was a good start but if you REALLY wanna curb the lt population, putting that buy restriction will do nothing. Doing so just means the staff just want levs to be just a LT ship and nothing more. Those of you who know me do know that lev is a viable basing ship if the player knows how to use it. One of the above posts about the TK factor is indeed true, unintentional TK's are sometimes indeed needed as a last ditch defense/offensive push to try to win a round. I don't condone TKing but if it means to clear the FR to kill off a teammate that just happens to rush in, and even sometimes follow the bomb in, that call can easily be made.
        Last edited by Maverick X+; 05-30-2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

!buy only in safe is no diff than the old ?buy system
          lts were fine back then, so the thought of doing something similar with the current !buy system it being tested. No need to cry about us TRYING to find solutions that are fair and balanced
          Former TW Staff

Comment

MavX,

1: it's an experiment, by no means a permanent change

2: base Levis *are* extremely useful. But they shouldn't be able to punch their way into base like butter (anyone can do it with !buy anywhere for Levis -- trust me, hadn't played Levi in 4 years and I did it with incredible ease), because once properly positioned in FR they're devastating and can essentially hold FR themselves, with the rest of the team in mid and maybe a Lanc coupled with the Terr+Xradar to cover Weasels. There's a reason it was always hard to solo as a Levi: because the ship is godawfully powerful. I'm really glad we have the Levi, and I like the fact that it can do huge amounts of damage but also has enormous weaknesses. For too long the weaknesses have just been mitigated too much by !buy.

As you noted in the other thread it was a request for comments and suggestions. If you are borderline illiterate, allow me to reiterate that point for you! If you think modifying rep buying (perhaps for Levis only?) would be a better move, rather than sniffling and saying you think it's the end of the goddamn world (it isn't) you could actually just, you know, say that. :P
            "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
            -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

I agree with contempt on changing the levs while LTing to reduce their power a little, but I don't approve the crying. The crying must go, else TW ppl won't see u as a person with a backbone but as an old wiibimbo (as I have grown up now, finally). So either be constructive about it and stop crying or GTFO be4 someone TKs u irl.
              "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
              Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
              Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Working...
              X