Leet-Speak [An Interesting Read]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leet-Speak [An Interesting Read]

[This was an interview by Anchorage Daily New to Jesse Alleva on the topic of Leet-Speak ... She goes to a school close to mine.. In Anchorage, Alaska.]

Anchorage Daily News [March 19th, 2004]
    "Leet-Speak" can be confusing to those without "Sk1llz."

INTERNET: Gaming has
    given rise to a language.

By Jesse Alleva
    Perfect World Staff

--As the Internet was becoming more prevalent in society during the early 1990s, computer-savvy individuals, such as hackers, didn't want their Web sites, news groups and other things to be found by simple search engines, so as a solution they began to replace letters with symbols or numbers such as A = 4, B = 13. This was the beginning of a new language that could only be written down and not spoken: "1337 5P34K" or "leet-speak." The name is derived from the word "elite," although once you remove the first letter, misspell the second syllable and translate it into numbers, this root word is hardly apparent.
    --Up until 1994, this new "language" was known by few and was sparingly. However, when "first-person shooter" games such as "Doom, "Doom II" and "Quake" started to offer Internet connectivity, a revolution of both PC gaming and leet-speak occured.
    --In the gaming world, leet-speak is used to encode messages or to show off one's prowess for gaming. For example, if someone were to be doing well at a game, they might send a message to other participants saying, "1 ownz j00, suxorz" which roughly translates to "I owns you suckers." The main reason to use leet-speak is simply that it looks complicated and fearsome.
    --Leet-speak is a very flexible language, meaning that there are several ways to spell the same word. Elite can be said as: leet, l33t, 1337, |_337 or |_33-|-. A general rule of thumb is to use characters that depict the letter that is being substituted. This is not to be confused with terms such as LOL (Laughing out Loud) or BRB (be right back), which are simply acronyms.
    --However, leet-speak isnt just a corrupted form of English; new words, mostly created by online gamers, are unique to leet. Here are some examples:
    ** 0wne3d -- Beaten. "I 0wn3d you" means "I have beaten you in a very humiliating fashion," or "0wn4ge!" which means "That was (or is) very nifty."
    ** w00t -- Derived from "hoot"; this is defined as "yay" and can be used during a victory.
    ** h4x0r -- Hacker, a term that can be used for a real hacker or simply a very skillful person.
    ** ph33r -- Fear, most commonly used in such phrases as "Ph33r m3!" or "Ph33r |V|y 1337 sk1llz!" It can also be written as "ph34r."
    ** sk1llz -- Referring to skill in some type of online game, programming or hacking.
    ** m4d -- Mad, mostly used as a descriptive term meaning great; for example, "h3s g0t m4d sk1llz."
    ** j00 -- You.
    ** f00 -- Foo, as in fool.
    ** j0 -- Yo, as in the greeting.
    ** d00d -- Dude.
    ** sux0r -- Sucks.
    ** l4m3r -- Lamer.
    ** n00b -- Short for noobie, misspelling of newbie; someone who is new to something, or just not very good at it.
    --Although one can communicate this way exclusively, it is generally looked down upon in chat rooms and online gaming because it takes too long to type and decipher. It is generally used to punctuate normal English for emphasis.
    --Here's a nifty translator you can use to obtain m4d sk1llz in 1337 5P34kZ. However, it is not the only one, and leet has numerous variations on the basic theme.
    A = @ or |\ or 4 or ^ or /-\
    B = |3 or ]3 or 8 or ß
    C = ( or ©
    D = |) or ]) or Đ
    E = 3 or £
    F = # or |=
    G = 9
    H = |-|
    I = 1 or ! or ][ or Ĭ
    J = _|
    K = |< or |{ or ]<
    L = |_ or | or 1
    M = |V| or /\/\ or ^ ^
    N = |\| or /\/ or И or Ω
    O = () or 0 or ○ or € or ·
    P = |D or 6 or þ
    Q = & or ¶ (
    R = |2 or ®
    S = $ or 5 or §
    T = + or 7 or Ł or ╬
    U = |_| or Ū
    V = \ / or √
    W = |/\| or \ / \ / or |/\/ or \/\|
    X = >< or χ or }{
    Y = ¥ or ỳ
    Z = 2 or ż
    Last edited by Selex; 03-19-2004, 09:12 PM.
    |
    Spam me, Im bored: Sleepsmokr0001@yahoo.com
    Selex - (Early) 2000 - (Mid) 2004 Retiree!(July 25)
    [Spastic]
    --:fear:--

You Aren't A Phony! A Big Fat Phony!

|-|][ |-|][.... ][ 7|-|()|_|9|-|7 ]['|) $7@|27 7|-|][$ |23|D|_Y |3Y
    |_|$][|\|' 1337-5|D34}<... Now I'll stop... You'll have to figure out the part
    before this part by yourself! :PPPP...
    Free as the wind in this broken land!
    Run, Fly, and Live for the mission!

Comment

Originally posted by Woken
      |-|][ |-|][.... ][ 7|-|()|_|9|-|7 ]['|) $7@|27 7|-|][$ |23|D|_Y |3Y
      |_|$][|\|' 1337-5|D34}<... Now I'll stop... You'll have to figure out the part
      before this part by yourself! :PPPP...
      I can't fuken read that shit.
      ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
      Failure teaches success.

Comment

it looks complicated and fearsome
        Yes, if that translates as...
        it looks childish and retarded
        ...then I agree.

PS. It says "hi hi... i thought i'd start this reply by using leet-speak".
        Last edited by Denon; 03-19-2004, 09:57 PM.
        Hello Denon it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several days, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Comment

I r da 1337357 n00b 7h3r3 i5, d00d! Ph34r m3, 411. I 0wnz j00 411. j00 411 sux0r. I h4v3 7h3 1337357 sk1llz 7h3r3 i5! EZ PWND GG. $$$

Comment

Pretty Interesting I would say.. And she lives near me too...
            Wonder why she would take that much time out of her day to write how to act/be Elite.
            |
            [Spastic]

Comment

This pseudo-language will soon collapse on its own once people recognize that it takes far too much effort to read/write for anything longer than a sentence.

Comment

What deno said

Originally posted by Denon
                PS. It says "hi hi... i thought i'd start this reply by using leet-speak"
                |
                [Spastic]

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                  This pseudo-language will soon collapse on its own once people recognize that it takes far too much effort to read/write for anything longer than a sentence.
                  fu smd gtfo my soup, sir.
                  ^o^;;;
                  plopp> im not a newbie ok!! im a butterfly waiting to come out of his coon!

Comment

*thinks to himself, "oh I don't want to read that shit"*
                    it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Originally posted by sTuPiD-gErBiL
                      fu smd gtfo my soup, sir.
                      ^o^;;;
                      You see, now, acronyms on the other hand, have a greater staying power.

Comment

she misspelled suxxor.

Comment

Originally posted by Cops
                          *thinks to himself, "oh I don't want to read that shit"*
                          Well I just find it interesting that a Junior in High School would even care about that enough to write an Article about it.

Edit: And for my local Newspaper to produce it in the paper..
                          |
                          [Spastic]

Comment

I'm ok with the numbers but whats with all the |\|/\/\//\/||/\/||/||| shit?

Comment

Working...
                            X