Mass Media Bias - Oh Middle East, Middle East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Media Bias - Oh Middle East, Middle East

This is alot to digest, but most of you have the time on your hands anyways. This article is derived from The Atlantic, you can view the source at http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2003/06/fallows.htm

---------------------------------------------------------

Who Shot Mohammed al-Dura?

The image of a boy shot dead in his helpless father's arms during an Israeli confrontation with Palestinians has become the Pietà of the Arab world. Now a number of Israeli researchers are presenting persuasive evidence that the fatal shots could not have come from the Israeli soldiers known to have been involved in the confrontation. The evidence will not change Arab minds—but the episode offers an object lesson in the incendiary power of an icon

by James Fallows

The name Mohammed al-Dura is barely known in the United States. Yet to a billion people in the Muslim world it is an infamous symbol of grievance against Israel and—because of this country's support for Israel —against the United States as well.

Al-Dura was the twelve-year-old Palestinian boy shot and killed during an exchange of fire between Israeli soldiers and Palestinian demonstrators on September 30, 2000. The final few seconds of his life, when he crouched in terror behind his father, Jamal, and then slumped to the ground after bullets ripped through his torso, were captured by a television camera and broadcast around the world. Through repetition they have become as familiar and significant to Arab and Islamic viewers as photographs of bombed-out Hiroshima are to the people of Japan—or as footage of the crumbling World Trade Center is to Americans. Several Arab countries have issued postage stamps carrying a picture of the terrified boy. One of Baghdad's main streets was renamed The Martyr Mohammed Aldura Street. Morocco has an al-Dura Park. In one of the messages Osama bin Laden released after the September 11 attacks and the subsequent U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, he began a list of indictments against "American arrogance and Israeli violence" by saying, "In the epitome of his arrogance and the peak of his media campaign in which he boasts of 'enduring freedom,' Bush must not forget the image of Mohammed al-Dura and his fellow Muslims in Palestine and Iraq. If he has forgotten, then we will not forget, God willing."

But almost since the day of the episode evidence has been emerging in Israel, under controversial and intriguing circumstances, to indicate that the official version of the Mohammed al-Dura story is not true. It now appears that the boy cannot have died in the way reported by most of the world's media and fervently believed throughout the Islamic world. Whatever happened to him, he was not shot by the Israeli soldiers who were known to be involved in the day's fighting—or so I am convinced, after spending a week in Israel talking with those examining the case. The exculpatory evidence comes not from government or military officials in Israel, who have an obvious interest in claiming that their soldiers weren't responsible, but from other sources. In fact, the Israel Defense Forces, or IDF, seem to prefer to soft-pedal the findings rather than bring any more attention to this gruesome episode. The research has been done by a variety of academics, ex-soldiers, and Web-loggers who have become obsessed with the case, and the evidence can be cross-checked.

No "proof" that originates in Israel is likely to change minds in the Arab world. The longtime Palestinian spokesperson Hanan Ashrawi dismissed one early Israeli report on the topic as a "falsified version of reality [that] blames the victims." Late this spring Said Hamad, a spokesman at the PLO office in Washington, told me of the new Israeli studies, "It does not surprise me that these reports would come out from the same people who shot Mohammed al-Dura. He was shot of course by the Israeli army, and not by anybody else." Even if evidence that could revise the understanding of this particular death were widely accepted (so far it has been embraced by a few Jewish groups in Europe and North America), it would probably have no effect on the underlying hatred and ongoing violence in the region. Nor would evidence that clears Israeli soldiers necessarily support the overarching Likud policy of sending soldiers to occupy territories and protect settlements. The Israelis still looking into the al-Dura case do not all endorse Likud occupation policies. In fact, some strongly oppose them.

The truth about Mohammed al-Dura is important in its own right, because this episode is so raw and vivid in the Arab world and so hazy, if not invisible, in the West. Whatever the course of the occupation of Iraq, the United States has guaranteed an ample future supply of images of Arab suffering. The two explosions in Baghdad markets in the first weeks of the war, killing scores of civilians, offered an initial taste. Even as U.S. officials cautioned that it would take more time and study to determine whether U.S. or Iraqi ordnance had caused the blasts, the Arab media denounced the brutality that created these new martyrs. More of this lies ahead. The saga of Mohammed al-Dura illustrates the way the battles of wartime imagery may play themselves out.

The harshest version of the al-Dura case from the Arab side is that it proves the ancient "blood libel"—Jews want to kill gentile children—and shows that Americans count Arab life so cheap that they will let the Israelis keep on killing. The harshest version from the Israeli side is that the case proves the Palestinians' willingness to deliberately sacrifice even their own children in the name of the war against Zionism. In Tel Aviv I looked through hour after hour of videotape in an attempt to understand what can be known about what happened, and what it means.

Story continued on sourced website.
    ROCKING MY OWN WORLD SINCE PUBERTY.

If you throw this argument around, (saying i didn't read the whole thing). But if you do throw out it's all the Fault of the jews for killing one boy, then what about the Palestines suicide bombing.
    There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

I think the article is trying to say that the boy did not die by Israeli hands, but on careful skimming I still can't find what eveidence they used to support here. It was during a riot and anything that caused his death, the palestinians or Israeli soldiers, was probably by accident. If it wasn't by acident then it can only be explained by a long and complex conspiracy theory and such theories are very twisting and I wouldn't believe it anyways because it was written by a biased perspective and whos to say I should trust anything the writer says.

Not to draw any similarities between American revolution and this 'jihad', only that they were in similar environment/physical circumstances, but in Boston Massacre, at the time, that story was used to incite our rebellion for independence although later it is generally agreed that what more likely happened was that one of the rioters went to far and scared the British into firing once but in so doing killing like 8 people. I feel that something similar happened in that riot described in article.
      -L3

Comment

That's a very apt analogy Lunch. I read through the entire thing, and I still think that he was shot by Israeli's in crossfire. It wasn't some malicious act, they were just responding to enemy fire and the kid was just in the wrong place.

I LIKE PENIS

EDIT: I just read Awesome's post calling Pallies gay so I figured I'd conform.
        Last edited by Mattey; 03-30-2004, 09:51 PM.
        Mr 12 inch wonder

Comment

Did you guys read up to the point where the article stops on the forum? or did you go to the link? Because there are about 14 more pages of reading. There is a lot of proof offered, for instance, if the bullets came from a diaganol, why did they hit as though coming streight on? The hospital said the boy was shot twice in the left side, only on the video you clearly see he was behind his father on the left, and to the right he was exposed, only that side was behind the concrete barrel... and the boy was behind his father. Read the entire thing, there is a bevy of evidence. I recommend you draw out the diagram for better understanding. Imagine a 4 way intersection, the crossing being a right angle turn. It would look something like this -> + . Now bear with me. The israeli town being protected is at the North end of the +. The israeli soldiers were boarded up in a house on the corner of the top right section. The palestinian police were parallel to them on the other side of the road on the top left. Directly beneath the israeli forced was nothing. Directly underneath the Palestinian police was a wall protecting a small building, and a tall concrete barrel. The boy and his father took shelter behind this barrel, against the wall. Draw that out. Keep in mind from the israeli position to the boy is 150meters. Now, draw a line of fire from the house, diaganolly across 150m to where the boy and his father was. If you drew it right, the line of fire hits the concrete barrel. So unless those bullets had smart sensors and circled around the concrete barrel, there is no way in hell (or forensic science), that the shots could have come from that building (which is the alleged story.) Now upon review of the videos, you see the bullets hitting streight, if they were coming from a diaganol, then the dust would stretch and fly to the side, instead it was flying forward, suggesting that the shots were more likely to come from the palestinian police position. Read the entire article, there is some great insight.

Edit: excuse the spelling and grammar mistakes, im rushed here!

P.S: Not to mention that in the middle of this intersection (in between israeli soldiers and the concrete barrel) are 200+ palestinians thorwing rocks and malatovs, then further shooting off weapons.
          Last edited by yung; 03-31-2004, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yung
            Al-Dura was the twelve-year-old Palestinian boy shot and killed during an exchange of fire between Israeli soldiers and Palestinian demonstrators on September 30, 2000. The final few seconds of his life, when he crouched in terror behind his father, Jamal, and then slumped to the ground after bullets ripped through his torso, were captured by a television camera and broadcast around the world.[/b]

If some retarded father stupid enough to brings his son to some demonstration between 2 hostile countries, then it is inevitable something like this would happen. It is like bring your children to the playground filled with enemy land mines - who's fault if a land mine explodes under your kid?

I have no sympathy for people who suffered lost because of their own wrong doing
            Wont die, no surrender 2

Comment

I think this is the first time i ever read a TelCat reply where i didn't instantely think "dumb fuck"

Comment

still should have some sympathy the man did lose his son...

Comment

read the article.

Comment

hm

Whos bullet that did or did not kill that boy is, im pretty sure atleast, of no interest for the palestines involved. The fact is that in their eyes the israelis invading their homes and land, causing the riot/shots fired are quilty no matter what.

If your neighbour were to invade your home and one of your children is killed during a shootout where you try to defend your home, wouldnt it be the neighbours fault no matter if the child was killed by his bullets or your strays?
                    :wub: GammaHydroxyButyrate :wub:

Comment

Originally posted by TelC@t
                      If some retarded father stupid enough to brings his son to some demonstration between 2 hostile countries, then it is inevitable something like this would happen. It is like bring your children to the playground filled with enemy land mines - who's fault if a land mine explodes under your kid?

I have no sympathy for people who suffered lost because of their own wrong doing
                      Uhm, how do you know the father wasnt walking his son home from school ?
                      :wub: GammaHydroxyButyrate :wub:

Comment

Working...
                      X