14 second pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 second pit

Anyone watch NASCAR or F1? I've started to watch this season. I figure driving fast is fun, watching people drive fast might be fun too. I saw the crazy end to the Pepsi 300- 4 cars getting in a crash and Waltrip takes the win.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is racing under yellow. What does getting a "free pass" mean? Am I right in thinking that if you're on the lead lap, you're only racing the other people on the lead lap (if you pit)?

I can't bring myself to watch cars go around in a circle for hundreds of laps. Maybe it's like baseball, where it's only fun to watch if you're actually there, but watching cars go in a circle on TV is (for me, at least) akin to watching paint dry.

The only thing that makes NASCAR (or other closed-loop racing) interesting to me is the crashes/bumps/life-threatening situations. Since that's a little more than sorta fucked up, I choose not to watch at all.

I know that these are professional drivers and all, and it takes a fair amount of stamina and concentration to be able to whip around a track at hundreds of miles per hour, but it just doesn't hold my attention.
    Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by geekbot
      One thing I haven't been able to figure out is racing under yellow. What does getting a "free pass" mean? Am I right in thinking that if you're on the lead lap, you're only racing the other people on the lead lap (if you pit)?
      The field is frozen when a caution comes out (new rule implemented last season instead of the old "Gentlemen's agreement"). So every1 stops racing each other and are not allowed to pass. With frozing of the field asap getting a lap back become a lot more difficult so they decided that the leader of the cars that are a lap or more behind gets a free pass under the yellows getting one lap back (called the Lucky Dog pass).

Guess I'm more american than conc is in some ways

PS. if some1 knows the new address of the nascar streams pm me. the fuckers changed it from last season.
      TWL-J champ season 5 (Elusive)
      TWL-D champ season 6 (Elusive)
      TWL-D champ season 8 (-FINAL-)
      TWL-D champ season 10 (Syndicate)

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd
        I can't bring myself to watch cars go around in a circle for hundreds of laps. Maybe it's like baseball, where it's only fun to watch if you're actually there, but watching cars go in a circle on TV is (for me, at least) akin to watching paint dry.
        Yeah, there's some of that as I'm watching...there's always F1 or motorcycle racing. But there's also the strategy (and luck) of pitting, tires/fuel management, etc. Watching all the cars coming in to pit under yellow and watching the race to the end of pit row is awesome. It's pretty cool that a pit crew and help a driver gain 2-3 positions in 14 seconds.

NASCAR is sort a distilled from of racing. The drivers can focus on their line, entering and exiting a turn, passing, staying clean, and out of wrecks. It's not for everyone I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd
          The only thing that makes NASCAR (or other closed-loop racing) interesting to me is the crashes/bumps/life-threatening situations. Since that's a little more than sorta fucked up, I choose not to watch at all.
          thats exactly the reason I bought Jeremy Clarkson's video. You probably dont know him.

Comment

I used to be HUGE NASCAR fan when I was a kid, to be honest. It is a lot like baseball, in that if you know a lot about the drivers/players, it's a lot more interesting to watch. If you don't know enough about the drivers to have any sort of allegience, yeah it would be boring. Also, as this one southern chick I know points out, NASCAR is the only sport that allows you to bring your own booze into the stadium.
            5:gen> man
            5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

I watch Nascar religiously. That Busch race where Waltrip won was crazy.

and today, Rusty Wallace finally broke his 108 race losing streak. I think he should retire.

Dale Jr. 4 Cup
              DELETED

Comment

I had to leave and didn't get to see the last couple of laps today. But I did sit around for more than an hour captivated as they put epoxy in a hole in the track. I think there's something wrong with me.

Stealing a win like Waltrip did has got to be awesome. The good thing for the guys in the crash is they still got top 5 finishes, I think.

I went go kart racing with my friends recently. On the final race after 3 qualifing races, I started 2nd. I followed the number 1 car, watching and waiting, and looking for a pass. Finally on 23 of 25, he got too aggressive and wrecked with lap traffic. I cruised by and strolled to victory lane. Boy was he pissed.

Comment

Nascar 2004 . the game that is - is really awesome. Very hard to learn but once you get the hang of it and start mixing with the car settings, actually understanding what they do and feeling the difference, it's endless fun. Need a good wheel though.

And cus I started with games, I'll continue. Play Rally Trophy, it rocks
                  5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                  5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                  5: Da1andonly> =((
                  5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                  5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                  5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Originally posted by Jeansi
                    Nascar 2004 . the game that is - is really awesome. Very hard to learn but once you get the hang of it and start mixing with the car settings, actually understanding what they do and feeling the difference, it's endless fun. Need a good wheel though.
                    I hope u arent talking about that EA crap?

The only real nascar game is Nascar Racing 2003 Season by Papyrus. Raced online against 30 other ppl of course
                    TWL-J champ season 5 (Elusive)
                    TWL-D champ season 6 (Elusive)
                    TWL-D champ season 8 (-FINAL-)
                    TWL-D champ season 10 (Syndicate)

Comment

Yes, I was talking about papyrus. Played the series since Nascar Racing 2 from 96 I think.

Didn't even know EA had one so I didn't bother writing out the full name: Nascar Racing 2003 Season (omg I could have sworn it was 2004, lol )
                      5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                      5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                      5: Da1andonly> =((
                      5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                      5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                      5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Anyone see the IMAX movie yet? Jeff Gordon was on the Late Show (Kilborn)a few days ago to plug the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by geekbot
                          Anyone see the IMAX movie yet? Jeff Gordon was on the Late Show (Kilborn)a few days ago to plug the movie.
                          I saw it. It was really cool. And really loud.
                          Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                          sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Working...
                          X