question about final fantasy xi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about final fantasy xi

my roommate already has ffxi for the playstation. i'm planning on getting it for my computer so we can play at the same time. i know there's some kind of deal where you pay $1/month to make an extra character on the ps2 version, but is there anyway to take advantage of that if i go cross-platform?

paying 2 full subscription fees for the same household would be utter crap.
    plopp> im not a newbie ok!! im a butterfly waiting to come out of his coon!

Hmm... I think you have to pay for your own account. The problem is that your characters are tied to your account. The $1 character is for creating another character under the same PlayOnline account. You can create one of those $1 characters from you in your friend's account, but each account can only log-on to play one character at a time. What this means is that if you want to be able to play at the same time, you each have to pay for an account, just like all other MMORPGs.

It may sound like crap, but I think it's necessary. You see, you can log in on any computer or PS2 with FFXI installed and play a character you created on your computer. So if you were at your friend's house in another town and want to show him what level your character is at, you can log in at his house. That means that if they did allow you to play an "extra" $1 character with your friend in the other room on the same connection, their game servers would be unable to differentiate that from you paying $1 for an extra character and letting your friend in the other town play as that character while you play your own. Either way, you're only playing the monthy fee plus an extra buck, but you can see how they don't want you to be able to buy an extra character for a buck and just give it to someone else. I'm not sure if you get what I mean because it's a bit confusing.

Comment

well, i was just saying that it should be allowed since we're playing from the same exact ip and connection. playonline should be able to differentiate between same household and outside connections to protect against $1/month piracy.

Comment

Yes, yes they should.
        Originally posted by Vatican Assassin
        i just wish it was longer
        Originally posted by Cops
        it could have happened in the middle of a park at 2'oclock in the afternoon while your parents were at work and I followed you around all afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by sTuPiD-gErBiL
          well, i was just saying that it should be allowed since we're playing from the same exact ip and connection. playonline should be able to differentiate between same household and outside connections to protect against $1/month piracy.
          But then they wouldn't let you be able to login and play your character somewhere else if you choose to, if your home connection is logged in. I think they do this because they plan on licensing the client programs to Internet cafes or whatnot. Other games do it this way too, but SquareEnix complicates it by packaging their own community based mini-browser thingy (which no one I've talked to in-game actually uses for anything other than logging into FFXI). It seems pointless that people actually have to log in and open a program within another program just to play. You're right though, it should make sense to only have to pay one membership per household.

If you still plan on getting your own account, there's one caveat you should keep in mind: there's no guarantee you'll wind up on the same server as your friend. Servers are, as far as I can tell, randomly allocated to get even populations, and you need to buy an ingame pass to play on a different server.

Comment

nah, my friend's been playing for a while. he's got plenty of money from his lucrative silk thread business. he's buying passes not only for me, but for several other of our friends who live in other states.

i'll be on garuda, by the way.

Comment

Well, if your friend's doing well then that should make things easier. FFXI's got one of the better player-based economies I've seen, so good for him.

Comment

Just so you know, I have seen the WoW beta and it is so much better than FFXI was it made me want to cry tears of sweet joy.

Comment

as have i wadi, it might be the first mmorpg that i will buy. it looks pretty sweet
                  To all the virgins, Thanks for nothing
                  brookus> my grandmother died when she heard people were using numbers in their names in online games.. it was too much for her little heart

Comment

i'm looking forward to true fantasy online. but that's best left for december and beyond.

Comment

Guild Wars > All

why you ask?

cause I don't have to pay a fuckin monthly fee.
                      DELETED

Comment

Originally posted by pv=nrt
                        as have i wadi, it might be the first mmorpg that i will buy. it looks pretty sweet
                        Are you playing pv? I just get to peak over the shoulder of a friend.

PM me your screen name if you're in though, maybe we can go thwack some shit together or something.

Comment

This game doesnt sound worth it.
                          Merf. <_<

Comment

Well MMORPG's are designed to be a huge timesink, so if you don't want that...then it isn't for you.
                            My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

I'm playing to FFXI.. my name is Hughen and i'm on Asura (the server)..

I'm pretty new btw

BLM lvl 16
                              WHM lvl 4

If anyone wants a world pass.. email me : arrown @ hotmail.com
                              TW Bot Developer
                              TW Web Developer
                              Friends> All I saw was arobas+
                              Friends> It's like death

Comment

Working...
                              X