My new laptop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new laptop...

Well some advice, I am in the market for a new laptop. I need to know some of your options. I think I would like to get an M processor, but I was told the battery life isn’t that much more then a P4 with HT.

I have looked at Dell.ca and also I have looked in future shop, which is the same as best, buy.

I like Toshiba and Dell and IBM.

Basically all I need it for is PowerPoint, watching movies web surfing and word processing.

Any body out there that can help.

And my price range is about 1500$ or so CND.
    "Bilbo" SS is a sophisticated chat channel, nothing more.

Technical Support

Comment

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,117001,00.asp

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-047&depa=0

and i personally like this one the best but it may be out of your price range
      http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...115-116&depa=3

but if all you want to do is surf the net and watch movies and stuff then just get a cheap used piece of crap
      Last edited by Puppet Master; 08-24-2004, 03:42 PM.

Comment

If you can, get a Barton chip processor, they are seriously good CPUs for laptops.

Comment

I have the weirdest problem ever with my laptop
          My modem (Alcatel Speedtouch Usb) only works when my laptop is running on its batteries, not when plugged in on electricity network. really weird. It's been doing this for three weeks now...:s
          I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

But do I want to get the M chip over the P4 or what....... and name brands? I heard Acer is really crappy.

And have a chip working not as hot.... doesnt that extend the life of it?
            "Bilbo" SS is a sophisticated chat channel, nothing more.

Comment

the M chip was designed soley for the purpose of being in laptops. It uses less power consumption and creates a lot less heat then the P4 thus resulting in a longer battery life. If you are going to go mobile a lot and need something that won't die in like 3 hours then i'd say get a P-M which should last around 4-5 hours. a 1.5ghz P-M will perform the same as like a 3ghz p4 or around there. Make sure the P-M you get is the Dothan and not the older/outdated Banias which only has 1mb L2 Cache instead of 2mb, it isnt that big of deal if you get the Banias i guess but it will consume slightly more power and wont be as fast as the dothan.

And Acer is definatley not crappy if a few of their models were able to score high on pcworlds top 15 laptops. IBM and Toshiba are other great brands as well
              Last edited by Puppet Master; 08-25-2004, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Tablet>> laptop. In 3 years, they'll all be tablets, so why wait?

Comment

Working...
                X