Star Ocean 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Ocean 3

Anyone have it? If so, how is it? Should I get this or ToS?

EDIT: Or Phantom Brave?
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Star Ocean 3 is badass, I've been a fan since Star Ocean 2 came out on the PSX.
    DELETED

Comment

I downloaded/burned the game but I can't play it because my #($^(#&^ brother fucked up my PS2 and it won't play DVD-R anymore.
      sdg

Comment

The fighting system in ToS is a bit easier to get used to. I also like cel shading more than 3D polygonal characters when it comes to Anime video games. Star Ocean looks like Suikoden III in terms of character design. ToS' cel shading looks more natural.

Star Ocean's plot is better than ToS, in my opinion. The storyline in ToS starts off being almost identical to FFX, which would have been good if it came out first. Though the fight system is harder to get used to, Star Ocean's engine offers more depth and strategy and less button-mashing.

The pacing in Star Ocean seems to be a bit slow. If you're using sub-titles as well as voices, you'll often finish reading what they say before they do. You can skip the rest of a line before it's finished reading, but you can't advance to the next one until the animation finishes. So for example, if you finish reading the dialogue, you still have to watch them finish miming.

Speaking of dialogue, the voices for ToS are better. The voicework is done by established voice artists from other video games and cartoons. The voices for Star Ocean are generally just as good, though there are a couple of voice options that induce cringes.

Overall, the games are fairly close. Star Ocean is a bit deeper and tends to be more serious while ToS is a bit easier going and there are some genuinely funny parts. Star Ocean is set in the future so there are more sci-fi elements, though much of it takes place in medieval settings. I've played both and I can't really decide between the two. If you prefer a deeper game, Star Ocean is your option. ToS is a bit more entertaining but if you are into serious RPGs it might not be the best for you. If you've played one of the other games in the series' before, that will likely sway your decision, but otherwise, it will come down to your personal preference.

Comment

I had SO3 since the beginning of summer, but I never got to playing more than 3 hours because its all in japanese.
          ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
          Failure teaches success.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed response, TK.

I played SO2 and loved it (except for the cheesy voice acting). It starts off really slow as well, so I'm not too surprised about that happening in SO3. I've never played a Tales game, so I can't compare there but I've always wanted to play one..I'll probably pick up both, but I just want to decide which to pick up with this paycheck I'll be getting on Thursday.
            My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

TOD1 and TOD 2 were really fun so I'm guessing TOS will also have the same fun-factor as those other 2 games. GET TOS!

Comment

No problem, Liquid. I was pretty sure you'd find an actual comparison review to be more informative than yet another person posting that they have it but don't have much to say about it.

I'm sure you'll enjoy either game anyway, and if you plan on getting both, all the better.

Comment

Newbie question time : Wtf is TOS and TOD? It'll probably hit me like a sack of potatoes when you say it.
                  DELETED

Comment

Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Destiny and of course Tales of Phantasia, all in the Tales series.
                    ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                    Failure teaches success.

Comment

ToS is fun i think u should get it

Comment

ToP being available on SNES and gg
                        - k2

Comment

It did get shitty-assed ratings for GC version, unless they made some huge tweeks in the ps2 version, word goes that even though the graphics are nice, the storyline must be garbage or somethin.
                          ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                          Failure teaches success.

Comment

bah, It doesn't matter because Fable came out today so it will pretty much own all other RPGs on the consoles.,,
                            "I'm a fucking walking paradox, no I'm not
                            Threesomes with a fucking triceratops, Reptar
                            " - Tyler the Creator
                            Yonkers video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw

Comment

Fable's not that kind of RPG rogue
                              ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                              Failure teaches success.

Comment

Working...
                              X