Wacky Bookstore People Version 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wacky Bookstore People Version 2.0

I'm hoping you all know the thing with credit cards in stores, right? How if it's not signed on the back, it's tore policy for some stores to ask for ID? Well, this genius lacross wannabe kid (maybe 17-20, dunno) with a backwards cap came in the store. I didn't really notice him until he got up to the register. I scan his item and he gives me a credit card. I flip to do a quick check, see no sig and ask for an ID. Now, usually this is the part where people show me their ID and I continue withe the purchase. This guy does a weak act of glancing (half a second long) into his wallet and says he doesn't have any ID, all the while trying to stare a whole into me. I say

Me:" Well I'm sorry sir, but if there is no signature and you have no ID, then I can't use this card "

He is still staring dead eyed at me (eyebrows crinkled a little bit), and says

Idiot#3475:" You want me to sign it now"

Me:...

In my head, I'm thinking " is this kid really that stupid? I mean, the guy was trying to get salty with me.

Me: ..I still won't be able to use the card...
    *hands him back the card, waits for him to pay with something else*

Idiot#3475" "Fine, thanks (sarcastic)"

*He walks away*

---

I mean...really folks, did someone take a massive dump in the gene pool? Why do people ask me stupidshit?
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Did you have to do anything else like record the name on the card or notify the credit card company?

Comment

Nope, we just can't use the card unless it's signed or ID is shown. If neither are there, we just give the card back to them. Go figure.
      My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

If I remember correctly I have used a debit card w/o it being signed in the back. It was a temporary one ... but my bank never sent me the real one in the mail, so I continued to use the temp debit card.

Comment

I'd say you're a dick for not letting him just sign it there. Like it makes a difference. If he had signed it 3 seconds before giving it to you, it would have been fine. That store policy is stupid. The whole point of signing it is so that if it's stolen people can see the signatures don't match up when they sign the receipt. If it was stolen before the original card owner signed it (which would be the case here if the card really wasn't legit) well then the whole signature process is meaningless at this point since he can just sign it whenever he wants and obviously it will match his signature. If someone has a card and it's not signed you should just let them sign it immediately, unless if they don't have ID you're going to report it like TK suggested. Otherwise, I mean they're just going to walk out of the store and sign it, and now they're perfectly fine and will buy the shit somewhere else; and all of you've done is just delayed them a few minutes. I guess you saved your store some hassle since he'll have to get it somewhere else... but really my whole point is if he went to the trouble of stealing an unsigned card, he's probably going to remember to sign it.

Ok while writing that I guess I changed my mind and it's not the dumbest policy ever, in the rare chance someone stole an unsigned card, forgot to sign it, tried to buy something, was rejected and the card got reported stolen before he could buy something else, you'd have done good. Still... 99.9% of the time that's not going to be the case and for a small purchase who cares. I'm assumming it was a relatively small purchase.

If it was a hot chick instead of a "lacrosse wannabe with a backwards hat" would you have let her sign it there?
          Last edited by Sleepy Weasel; 10-06-2004, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy Weasel
            blah blah blah
            I don't sign mine, I write "See ID" in the signature spot. It's amazing how many people don't ask for my ID.

I say good job for not letting him use it.
            Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy Weasel
              I'd say you're a dick for not letting him just sign it there. Like it makes a difference. If he had signed it 3 seconds before giving it to you, it would have been fine. That store policy is stupid. The whole point of signing it is so that if it's stolen people can see the signatures don't match up when they sign the receipt. If it was stolen before the original card owner signed it (which would be the case here if the card really wasn't legit) well then the whole signature process is meaningless at this point since he can just sign it whenever he wants and obviously it will match his signature. If someone has a card and it's not signed you should just let them sign it immediately, unless if they don't have ID you're going to report it like TK suggested. Otherwise, I mean they're just going to walk out of the store and sign it, and now they're perfectly fine and will buy the shit somewhere else; and all of you've done is just delayed them a few minutes. I guess you saved your store some hassle since he'll have to get it somewhere else... but really my whole point is if he went to the trouble of stealing an unsigned card, he's probably going to remember to sign it.

Ok while writing that I guess I changed my mind and it's not the dumbest policy ever, in the rare chance someone stole an unsigned card, forgot to sign it, tried to buy something, was rejected and the card got reported stolen before he could buy something else, you'd have done good. Still... 99.9% of the time that's not going to be the case and for a small purchase who cares. I'm assumming it was a relatively small purchase.

If it was a hot chick instead of a "lacrosse wannabe with a backwards hat" would you have let her sign it there?
              Maybe you don't understand that I'll get in trouble if I let him go ahead and use the card. If the guy wasn't an idiot, he would have signed it before he came in/ came up to the register and I would have let him use the damn thing. Not my fault the moron decided to try it without ID. And would I let some hot girl sign it there? Hell no, fuck that bitch. You think I'm going to risk my job just because you're too stupid to sign the back of your credit card if you don't carry your ID around with you?

Comment

What's the point with that?

I mean if it's not signed, it's not hard to grab a pen and do it right? So what does it prove?
                5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                5: Da1andonly> =((
                5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

The card might have been stolen or forged.
                  5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                  5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                  5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Working...
                  X