Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebert thinks Donnie Darko has underlying incest theme

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...SSAYS/41022001

In some respects, Donnie Darko's dilemma is the flip-side of Billy Pilgrim's in Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five." While Billy has literally come "unstuck in time," drifting from era to era, Donnie has, in another sense, gotten stuck in time. That is, he's in a state of arrested development, between childhood and sexual maturity, stymied and frustrated by those feelings for his older sister that he just doesn't know how to resolve. (If you haven't seen "Donnie Darko," this is probably already more than you want to know. Get your hands on a DVD -- preferably of the superior original version from 2001, not the revised 2004 "Director's Cut," before reading any further.)

The first dialog scene in the movie begins with an attempt to provoke political sparks at the family dinner table (first line: "I'm voting for Dukakis," stated as a challenge to her parents by Donnie's older sister). And from there it switches into an exchange of obscene insults between Donnie (Jake Gyllenhaal) and his sister Elizabeth (played by the lead actor's real-life sister, Maggie Gyllenhaal). (Aside: on the original DVD commentary, director Richard Kelly remarks how special it was to have Jake's real-life sister in the role. Why? He doesn't say. But it does add a little extra-forbidden sexual tension to the film.) Elizabeth, enraged at a crude childbirth reference Donnie has made in front of their younger sister, calls him a **** and tells him to "Go suck a f---k!" Donnie sarcastically replies, "Please tell me, Elizabeth, how exactly does one suck a f---k?" She sees his bet and raises: "You want me to tell you?" Donnie cups his hands to his ears and silently mouths, "I'm all ears!"

The primary motifs of the movie are laid out in this first scene, and the sexual back-and-forth between brother and sister is freighted with a peculiar tension that goes deeper than just typical family tiffs and teenage foul language. We soon learn that Elizabeth has stayed home from college for a year to be with her boyfriend Frank. (We don't know it at first, but we see Frank's red sports car zooming past Donnie in the opening sequence.) Later that night, Donnie has a vision of a rather tall, erect rabbit named Frank -- or, rather, a person in a fuzzy bunny suit with a grotesquely contorted metallic mask over his head.

So, the question arises: Why a bunny? (and you thought maybe the question was "Why a duck?") Throughout the movie, sweet little bunnies and other stuffed animals are associated with childhood, and specifically with Elizabeth when she (and Donnie) were little. In one scene we see Donnie lying on the couch (where he sleeps after his bedroom has been squashed) in front of a framed photograph of a little girl -- Elizabeth -- and a bunny. In the last scene between Donnie and his sister, he comes into the house to find her sleeping in a chair, and a stuffed bunny just to the right of the frame.

Crazy Ebert.
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

yeah, thats definitely a stretch
    5:gen> man
    5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

Why does he have to bring up incest in a movie like this? Did anyone else think " Wow he wants to bang his sister " while watching DD? Hell no.
      My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

I thought that Iwanted to bang his sister, but that's about it.
        5:gen> man
        5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

I can honestly say that I didn't think of that. But next time I watch it, I'll look for it.
          http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

I thought the second half was a dream, but I need to watch it again, it was just one scene that made me think that.

Comment

Ebert's a hack.
              jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

I think Eberts wants to do that lil sister.
                Originally posted by Disliked
                However, I have a bigger problem, being an atheist for 9 years, most of it during my teenage years I've become a little addicted to masterbation. I've tried to stop and even asked God to help but I'm unable to resist the temptation and it's driving me insane with grief.

Originally posted by concealed
                when i was on incuria i took 40 mgs of adderol like an hour before every match. didnt help me that much :X

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
                  Ebert's a hack.
                  No fucking way! He overrates movies like crazy, but the man is a cinematic genius.
                  Originally posted by Ward
                  OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

That movie blew.

Another little gothic 8th grade movie to make people think they are indie.

well fuck you.
                    Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                    sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Donnie Darko is a cool film
                      EvoLd> Roboqueen died again?
                      cool koen> :)
                      PRiMORDiAL> pfft
                      cool koen> not because of a bug
                      EvoLd> Lol
                      Treachery> meh
                      EvoLd> why then?
                      PubAceR> women in power dont last
                      EvoLd> LOl
                      toaster oven reviews

Comment

I thought he could look into his future and decided it was better for him to die in the begin of the movie so his love would live, rather than to live so his girl would die. But I don't buy that mindtrip about incest, that's really fucked. It would be weirder if his sister was played by his reallife girlfriend or something, now that would add that tension, I don't see how your sister playing your sister in a movie makes it erotic..
                        You ate some priest porridge

Comment

THE BEST THING ABOUT THIS THREAD WAS THE KURT VONNEGUT REFERENCE
                          NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

No, you are definitly the best thing to happen to this thread.
                            Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                            sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Still

Still a great movie, will watch it again for the things^^^^^^^^^.
                              :mad: Ravished :mad:

Comment

Working...
                              X