Tortoise - 'Millions Now Living Will Never Die'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tortoise - 'Millions Now Living Will Never Die'

Seriously, I don't even think "Djed" is that great until about halfway through, and I still think this album is classic. My favourite track is "Glass Museum," which just charges out of the gate with that unbelievable, sweeping guitar passage, shaking you loose from the cyclic tones of "Djed" and jolting you into attention for the back end of the album.
    Originally posted by Ward
    OK.. ur retarded case closed

Also, the closing track is a monster. Tortoise are always best when they're channeling some sort of spirit, be it ethnic (as on "On the Banks of the River") or simply impassioned ("Glass Museum," the opening track of Standards). When they aren't, like in the more limp-wristed portions of TNT and especially on long swaths of It's All Around You, their music ranges from pretty but inconsequential to flat and unenjoyable.

EDIT: What makes "On the Banks of the River" so great in this regard is that it is the opposite of faceless. Instead, it's slinky and noir, slightly Morricone but mostly unidentifiable, bringing in jazz for a turn with the drums but not falling all the way into it.

Comment

i thought this thread would be about how long turtles live, kind of like the guy in finding nemo ---___________---------

Comment

i was thinking that too

Comment

well, turtles sure as fuck aren't immortal

Comment

Comment

Hi Mootland Farmer
              I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

Working...
              X