Translation Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translation Required

Can someone Finnish please translate this?

Kyseinen peliliike sijaitsi Turussa, Hansa-korttelin toisessa kerroksessa. Koska myimme myös import-pelejä, kaikki softamme oli jaettu ulkomaisiin ja PAL-peleihin. Eräänä päivänä asiakas ihmettelee, missä meidän vähän käytetyt pelimme ovat. Aikamme siinä ihmeteltyämme selvisi, että asiakas oli hieman hidasjärkinen. Hän kuvitteli, että PAL oli Turun murretta, joten jos hyllyssä oli "pal käytetyi pelei" niin kai siellä pitäisi olla myös "vähä käytetyi pelei". Neroutta vai hulluutta, kuka tietää?

Apologies if there's anything racist in there, I doubt it though.
    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
    ---A few minutes later---
    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
    9:Kim> UM
    9:Kim> i didn't
    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
    9:pascone> lol?

That is stupid but here we go (with my lousy english skills, and I hate translating :P, but got nothing better to do so well...):

The games store in question was located on the 2nd floor at the Hansa quarter in Turku. Because we sold import games too, all our software was divided in foreign and PAL games. One day a client is wondering where our second-hand games are. After a moment of wondering, it turned out to be that the client was a bit slow-witted. He imagined that PAL was Turku dialect, so if there were used PAL games on the shelves, certainly there should also be slightly used games. geniusness or madness, who knows?

There, wasted 5 mins on this... with more or less errors but idc.

Comment

What does Pal mean in Turku?
      USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim

Comment

Umm... Turku is a city here, and the people there speak a stupid dialect :P. But I seriously doubt that they would use such a word. But then again it's Turku...

That is a shitty translation and I couldn't think of a better way of saying it.

ZZZ...

Comment

PAL is a standard for output onto television screens. Different regions in the world use either PAL or NTSC or SECAM. DVDs, VHS tapes, video games and anything else designed for playback on a television follow a regional standard and are incompatible with others.

Comment

Unless you're an enterprising individual with a small amount of time on your hands.
            Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

PAL means nothing in Finnish. I don't think it means anything in Turku either.. :-P
              last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

This got me wondering, don't ask the relivance but, any of you bought a Nintendo DS? Is it worth buying?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                  PAL is a standard for output onto television screens. Different regions in the world use either PAL or NTSC or SECAM. DVDs, VHS tapes, video games and anything else designed for playback on a television follow a regional standard and are incompatible with others.
                  I know that, but the joke doesn't seem to make sense without Pal meaning something :/.

Comment

well in that text the slow-witted customer tought that "pal käytetyi pelei" meant games that had been used for a long time so he/she asked if there were any slightly used games, though what the phrase really meant was "used PAL -games".

and that's because the phrase "pal käytetyi pelei" is in turku dialect where "pal" could indeed mean the same as the finnish word "paljon" which means "a lot" or "much".. so yeah, there

^if you understood my explanation, you're a genius
                    sigpic
                    What is even the elblow?

Comment

I'm a genius then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Peanuts
                        This got me wondering, don't ask the relivance but, any of you bought a Nintendo DS? Is it worth buying?
                        My little brother has one, and it's permanently attached to his hands. He got Super Mario 64 for Christmas and vowed to beat it before New Years. He beat it at 11:58. Crazy!

If you want me to ask him question about it or want his AIM screen name to talk to him just PM me.
                        Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
                        1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
                        1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
                        1:Chao <ER>> at all
                        1:Mantra-Slider> chao
                        1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
                        Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
                        Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd
                          Unless you're an enterprising individual with a small amount of time on your hands.
                          ??

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan
                            I know that, but the joke doesn't seem to make sense without Pal meaning something :/.

Originally posted by Darkmoor
                            Umm... Turku is a city here, and the people there speak a stupid dialect :P. But I seriously doubt that they would use such a word. But then again it's Turku...
                            That should answet the question. I guess every country tells jokes about some other place. Finns joke about swedes (and turku), swedes joke about norwegians (and malmö) etc.

It's just a bad joke trying to diss Turku.

edit: o and "pal käytettyj pelej" comes from paljon as someone said. Therefor the customer though, if there are games that are much used, there should be less used games too.
                            Last edited by Jeansi; 02-01-2005, 09:11 AM.
                            5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                            5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                            5: Da1andonly> =((
                            5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                            5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                            5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Actually it's not a joke, it actually happened. This was from a thread telling true stories of dumb customers in SomethingAwful.

Comment

Working...
                              X