Are you grammatically correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeansi
    I blew the its/it's question, and I don't understand it even after reading the explanation.
    it's = it is
    its = represents ownership

Comment

Whoever decided to use the apostrophe for ownership and abbreviations was stupid.

On the grammar topic, can someone explain to me the appropriate time to use the word "whom"? What are the circumstances? The rules?

I know the general idea: "to whom it may concern..." and situations like that, but I really don't have a clue as to which circumstances exactly we're supposed to use it in, and why.
      Kthx> Does JB Inc pay his child support with pub bux?

Undisputed Pre-Menstral Super-Bitch Internet Kickboxing Champion 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Volcs
        Whoever decided to use the apostrophe for ownership and abbreviations was stupid.

On the grammar topic, can someone explain to me the appropriate time to use the word "whom"? What are the circumstances? The rules?

I know the general idea: "to whom it may concern..." and situations like that, but I really don't have a clue as to which circumstances exactly we're supposed to use it in, and why.

I vaguely remember that it has somehing to do with the form of the pronoun (objective vs. subjective). I'm not sure if you are still expected to apply this rule though. Maybe in a formal letter?
        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

It's all about subjects versus objects. To figure out whether to use "who" or "whom", you have to consider the verb. If the person you're talking about is performing the action then you use who, if the action is being performed to, on, for, etc... someone, then you use whom.

For example, let's say you're playing SS and you want to find out who just killed you. You would ask "who just killed me?" You use "who" because the answer to the question is the one who did the killing. If on the other hand you want to know who you yourself had just killed, you would ask "whom did I kill?" because the person you're talking about didn't do the killing.

Other examples:

"goddess is someone who hates you" versus "goddess is someone whom you hate"
          "who is speaking to me?" versus "to whom am I speaking?"
          "whoever gave me this present, thank you!" versus "whomever I gave that present to should be pleased."

In each pair, the first example is whoever hates, speaks or gives. The rule also applies to whoever and whomever. Note the last example though: the "whom" it's talking about is technically the subject of the sentence because he's the one who "should be pleased" but within the phrase "whomever I gave that present to", it is the object because he's not the one who did the giving.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
            some stuff
            I'd just like to use this opportunity to point out that in a much more difficult test of grammar than this, Erathia's "grammar corrections" thread on the old Crown of Thorns forum, I defeated Troll King.

Don't listen to a word that motherfucker says.
            Originally posted by Ward
            OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
              It's all about subjects versus objects. To figure out whether to use "who" or "whom", you have to consider the verb. If the person you're talking about is performing the action then you use who, if the action is being performed to, on, for, etc... someone, then you use whom.

For example, let's say you're playing SS and you want to find out who just killed you. You would ask "who just killed me?" You use "who" because the answer to the question is the one who did the killing. If on the other hand you want to know who you yourself had just killed, you would ask "whom did I kill?" because the person you're talking about didn't do the killing.

Other examples:

"goddess is someone who hates you" versus "goddess is someone whom you hate"
              "who is speaking to me?" versus "to whom am I speaking?"
              "whoever gave me this present, thank you!" versus "whomever I gave that present to should be pleased."

In each pair, the first example is whoever hates, speaks or gives. The rule also applies to whoever and whomever. Note the last example though: the "whom" it's talking about is technically the subject of the sentence because he's the one who "should be pleased" but within the phrase "whomever I gave that present to", it is the object because he's not the one who did the giving.
              Thanks!

Woo.. now I know more! lol

Comment

100%
                Originally posted by Tone
                Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy Weasel
                  But when it occurs as the object of the preposition you use me.
                  Originally posted by Reclusion
                  Just noticed he wrote that. By the way, it's the object of the predicate.

[/NERD]
                  Originally posted by GundamAngel
                  to is a preposition. use the subjunctive after a preposition, not the objective
                  http://grammar.uoregon.edu/nouns/objectP.html

"When a pronoun acts as an object of the preposition, it must take the objective case." (The objective case of "I" being "me")

Apologize.
                  Last edited by Sleepy Weasel; 02-02-2005, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Do you diagram sentences in your spare time? You got 8/10 correct.

lol i got 3 and 4 wrong. what a stupid i am.

most of the people pretending to own this test are lying pieces of shit; im looking in ratty's... direction.

ive seen some of the grammar people posting in this thread use. stop lying.
                    top 100 basers list

Comment

Originally posted by Claushouse
                      Do you diagram sentences in your spare time? You got 8/10 correct.

lol i got 3 and 4 wrong. what a stupid i am.

most of the people pretending to own this test are lying pieces of shit; im looking in ratty's... direction.

ive seen some of the grammar people posting in this thread use. stop lying.
                      Wow, was that meant to be ironic?

Comment

Working...
                      X