Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An attempt at a meaningful conversation topic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow this is a great topic. Im not sure how much it will help but ill relate my story and go from there.

I breezed through highschool to like so many other kids who live online. I got into honours economics at a small Canadian university known for its business, it was my first choice so i was looking forward to it. First year was easy, mostly a review of grade 13 (which we have in Ontario for exactly 5 more months). Eventually though every1 who doesnt have good work and study habits will realize you can only coast on intelligence so far until u hit a wall.

Like every1 here has mentioned, it really helps if you enjoy what program you are in. I ran into anxiety/stress probs in 2nd year that prevented me from enjoying anything and i thought about switching to a general degree. What it really comes down to is that its important to enjoy all aspects of your life. Its hard enough to enjoy a dull course even if u enjoy everything else, its much harder if u arnt sure about your school, program or anything else. My adivce is to slowly work on your study habits, in preparation for the upper years when the matieral is more interesting but also harder. As long as u get a half decent degree the whole career thing will work itself out. You can always return to school for more training if u feel the need later on.

Dont let yourself slide into bad habits. Going to class even half awake is important, no matter how pointless it seems. I ended up losing almost a full year of school and co-op time and thousands of dollars for my screw ups. Procrastination is the most illogical and easiest thing to do. Presently im back in third year, no worse for wear except a couple of C- from failed exams. We are down to 68 people from 350, but the hardest program in any school is survivable if u stay positive and just work at it .

As an aside, i guess Canadian schools are different. Most programs u get into basically lay out exactly which course u have to take for your 4 years. I believe i got to chose 2 electives that had to be economics courses for my 3rd year. I personally like having everything laid out for me, but i can see how more choice is a good thing.
    Last edited by Eric is God; 11-04-2002, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Procrastination is a horrible thing. Right now I've been avoiding an entire day of work with SS, mindless web surfing and TV (yay they replayed the 24 season premier that I missed).

That said I do sort of see a purpose in my schooling and my school work. I guess it's all about choice. At my university, for most of the majors, there are maybe 25-50% courses that you HAVE to pick (of have a choice between 2 or 3), and then the rest is something like "pick 6 courses from the following list of 20". In that way you can really choose what interests you, and it makes school a lot more enjoyable.

As for dropping out, don't do it. Unless you feel that school is crushing you and you are feeling depressed (well if so maybe you should seek some professional help), school is always beneficial. To of gotten into university means that you're a pretty smart and motivated person. Don't waste that opportunity.

University/College is 2-4 years of your life, out of an entire lifetime of many many years. The extra 2-4 years you will get in the "real world" means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but by having that education, and having that degree, it means a lot more.

-Epi
      Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
      www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
      www.animeslice.com

Comment

Originally posted by Disliked
        same, i even skipped college to play ss, although it was boring and dint wanan go in the first place
        I could tell You skipped college even before you said that
        :yawn:

Comment

Working...
        X