Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got an iPod? Install Linux on it and use tons of cool programs

www.ipodlinux.org

For a while now, these guys have been developing a distro of Linux that runs on iPods. At this point, they've got it working pretty good, and there are tons of programs and games being developed for iPods.

Just recently someone released a beta video player, and it works great. Even on the greyscale iPods, many videos are very watchable, and they're even better on color iPods. I converted an episode of Family Guy and watched part of it on my greyscale iPod. There is no sound support yet, but it's just amazing being able to watch video on it.

Also, recently released is an iPod text editor, with many different options for inputting text. Now, it's not very easy with ANY of the methods, but it's still pretty neat. Nothing that would replace a good PDA but still neat. One of the options is an onscreen keyboard where you move the cursor around and type. You can even (obviously) save your file and view it later, on your iPod or any device (computer) that can read plain text files.

The fun part is the tons of new games people have added. Examples are Connect 4, Minesweeper, Pong, Helicopter, iDopeWars, and more including TETRIS! I think it's worth installing it just to be able to play Tetris on your iPod.

People are developing new applications all the time, such as the ability to record onto the iPod without any special hardware, and voice recognition and playback. Pretty amazing stuff.

Be warned, though. There really hasn't been any reports of someone permanently breaking their iPod doing this, but that's not to say that it's not possible. You have to read and follow the directions correctly, and you won't have any problems. I'm not going to explain how to do all of this stuff, but if you read through their forums at http://www.ipodlinux.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=15 you should be fine. Do NOT try installing Linux until you read through the site/forums a bit and understand what you're doing. The installer is pretty foolproof and automatic, but you should still understand what you're doing first.

sdg

Cool. Now I wish I had chosen iPod instead of Creative.
    last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

Holy fucking shit. Nice find.
      NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty neat. People are actually doing some work on porting a Gameboy emulator to the iPod, which will be pretty neat if it ever gets done.

There is a working Spectrum emulator as well, and I'm trying to do a bit of work in emulating the basic keyboard buttons to get some more games working. Pretty interesting stuff.
        sdg

Comment

bwaha, if they get a snes emulator for iPod I may just... buy an ipod.

Originally posted by Disliked
          Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
          +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

i pods do not play WMAs. piece of shit

it takes over 700 Kbps for no quality loss (lossless WMA, basically like a zip, no loss of data), even if you had 320 Kbps MP3s or WMAs, your music will be fucked with subtle digital noise. new technology, a worse sound than all previous technology

Comment

Originally posted by Tone
              i pods do not play WMAs. piece of shit

it takes over 700 Kbps for no quality loss (lossless WMA, basically like a zip, no loss of data), even if you had 320 Kbps MP3s or WMAs, your music will be fucked with subtle digital noise. new technology, a worse sound than all previous technology
              say it with me: "Apple Lossless"

Comment

Wow, if I ever get an iPod I'd install this.
                However, after the briefest of looks through the site I couldn't find how much room the linux would take on the iPod, i.e. how much music would you have to sacrifice just to play minesweeper?

Comment

The kernel typically isn't that big. What would make it big, if anything, would be all of its applications.
                  Zemyla>You know, quoting yourself in your sig is a sign of irredeemable narcissism.

GuruMeditation> You're on SS, you're an it.
                  GuruMeditation> Unless your ship grows boobs, in that case you're a freak.

Originally posted by sexy wooden spoon
                  Also u cud tlk about helping language skills.

Comment

IF they ever are able to play SNES Mario, then I'd get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Disliked
                      Wow, if I ever get an iPod I'd install this.
                      However, after the briefest of looks through the site I couldn't find how much room the linux would take on the iPod, i.e. how much music would you have to sacrifice just to play minesweeper?
                      I have tons of Linux stuff on my iPod, and the folder only takes up about ~60MB.
                      sdg

Comment

So its safe?
                        this is a dated signature

FREE GHB, PH
                        (:3=

Comment

i will definite-ly look into this later

Comment

Yeah, it's safe, but only if you read through the forums. The default installer is not meant for 4G iPods (newer ones with the touchwheel) but there are unofficial installers that work fine.

I just 'ported' the Mrs. Pacman game to work with the Spectrum emulator. :grin:
                            sdg

Comment

does it affect the battery much? i mean i heard the opid batteries were already pretty crap; will this thing make it last even less if you play on games a lot?

Comment

Working...
                              X