Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Youth Championship, Netherlands 2005 ; Nigeria - Holland

Netherlands: Hosts devastated after penalty drama

Hosts Netherlands increasingly looked a good bet for the trophy after improving from match to match in the course of the tournament. The Dutch followed up maximum points at the group stage with a 3-0 success over Chile in the round of sixteen, and a path to the last four appeared a formality. However, technically and physically gifted Nigeria provided stern opposition in the quarter-finals. The Oranjes fell behind from the very first move of the match, but levelled right at the start of the second period to usher in a thrilling end-to-end contest. The penalty lottery finally required to separate the sides developed into a nerve-shredding event in its own right. The shoot-out took no less than 45 minutes to complete, before Nigeria defender Taye Taiwo sank his second spot-kick to deliver the hosts a savage knockout blow. Dutch coach Foppe de Haan appeared dazed by the penalty drama as he addressed the post-match news conference. "I've never experienced a shoot-out like that. Overall, we turned in a good display, but we created far too little by way of chances. That's what's cost us the match at the end of the day." Nonetheless, the Netherlands have offered convincing proof of their world-class credentials at youth level.

source

Man, that really fucked me up, listening on the radio. Boss told us to turn off the radio because it was too busy, told him it would only take another few minutes. Had to threaten to stab myself to follow it down till the end.
    I can't recall a match being decided with 12 penalties.
    You ate some priest porridge

something similar happend in the royal league final between FCK and IFK. I believe it was 22 penalties altogether but it was made much quicker than 45 minutes.
    Originally posted by Tyson
    There is no such thing as hoologians there are only football supporters.
    Originally posted by HeavenSent
    Hello? Ever tried to show a Muslim a picture of Mohammed? I dare anyone to try. You will die.
    Originally posted by Izor
    Women should never be working in the first place.

Comment

With 12 penalties I mean 12 a team, and maybe it was even 13. It also took some extra time because one of the Nigerian players had to put his shoes back on when it was his turn to shoot.
      You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Working...
      X