Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn Based RPG that's good and not Final Fantasy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Based RPG that's good and not Final Fantasy!

Atelier Iris - Playstation 2
    1 Player
    Turn Based RPG

Rating: 8.5/10

A turn based RPG, Atelier Iris looks and plays like an old school Super Nintendo RPG reimagined for the Playstation 2. I just started playing it, so I'll say this rating is good for the first couple hours of the game, but I'm loving it. It's made by the same people who produced Disgaea and La Pucelle Tactics, Nippon Ichi. The nicely drawn sprites are there as well as the voice acting and scripting which I found was done quite well. The only problem is one of the "mana" spirits named Popo ... or something. I just hate him and his annoyingly cute voice. But that's about it.

Lots of item crafting and the magic system is based on synthesizing items from the towns, fields, and dungeons that you use your Alchemists staff to create and on other items and your skills, you use Mana (MP) to power them. Awesome game so far all in all, check it out.
    DELETED

Originally posted by Dameon Angell
    Atelier Iris - Playstation 2
    1 Player
    Turn Based RPG

Rating: 8.5/10

A turn based RPG, Atelier Iris looks and plays like an old school Super Nintendo RPG reimagined for the Playstation 2. I just started playing it, so I'll say this rating is good for the first couple hours of the game, but I'm loving it. It's made by the same people who produced Disgaea and La Pucelle Tactics, Nippon Ichi. The nicely drawn sprites are there as well as the voice acting and scripting which I found was done quite well. The only problem is one of the "mana" spirits named Popo ... or something. I just hate him and his annoyingly cute voice. But that's about it.

Lots of item crafting and the magic system is based on synthesizing items from the towns, fields, and dungeons that you use your Alchemists staff to create and on other items and your skills, you use Mana (MP) to power them. Awesome game so far all in all, check it out.
    Heard extremely good things about this game and 'd get it if the "gamer" part of me wasn't slacking off.

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
    .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

Shadow Hearts 2 is good, it surprised me just how much ass it actually kicks.
      My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Not Final Fantasy?! Then I don't wanna know...

But seriously, I've seen this on Gamespot and thought "looks nice", don't know if it's been released in UK/EU yet though.

EDIT: Nope, it's not in amazon.co.uk database and if it's not in amazon then it's not planning on coming out any time soon either. Bleh.
        Last edited by Superted; 07-16-2005, 02:41 PM.

Comment

The Atelier series of games is aimed towards young girls, and this one is no exception.
          Last edited by Stabwound; 07-16-2005, 04:16 PM.
          sdg

Comment

I don't know if it's just my copy that's glitchy but sometimes the voice tracks don't play properly and get cut off mid-syllable. I like the item creation system but the story line seems far too lose.

Comment

Tales of Destiny 2 owns it.
              The pleasure's all mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                I don't know if it's just my copy that's glitchy but sometimes the voice tracks don't play properly and get cut off mid-syllable..
                Haha I noticed that too, but I thought my stereo was just screwing up. good times.
                DELETED

Comment

That still isn't something that should happen in a game's initial release. It's not a very common occurence, but it's enough for it to be inexcusable.

Comment

It personally didn't bother me at all, I didn't even mention it til you brought it up, lol.
                    DELETED

Comment

RPG's hardly keep my attention for more than an hour, unless its like Pokemon for gameboy, that game still owns.

Comment

Originally posted by Torn Wing
                        RPG's hardly keep my attention for more than an hour, unless its like Pokemon for gameboy, that game still owns.
                        I prefer FF Tactics Advanced, gives you more options.
                        Thrashing> "That'll be 25.99, thank you for buying, please come again"
                        Thrashing> "LET'S FUCK!"
                        Thrashing> Like that, Ott?
                        Catgirl> rofl
                        Missy> o.O im so leaving this chat

Kim> hal, say fit of rage sucks ballz
                        fit of r> here, i'll do it for you
                        fit of r> I SUCK BALLS
                        Kim> loool
                        fit of r> I LOVE BIG HAIRY MAN BALLS

Comment

Oldschoo like FF3 on Sega was awesome.

Comment

A not-so-well-known awesome turn-based RPG game for the PlayStation 2 (two) is "Disgaea:Hour of Darkness."

It's just flawless. You're a demon underlord who's father is the overloard. You were 'mysteriously' put into a dark sleep by an unknown force and while you're asleep, your father is murdered.

Laharl (the main character, you) is awaken by a sexy demon-like woman who is concearned about your whereabouts. All the demons are currently at war with eachother and you must prove your worthiness by battling the other underloards and prove your strength. You must become the Overloard of the Underworld, with a confused Angel who doesn't know evil from good on your side!

I personally love this game, my highest character is level 62. There isn't any level caps, so you can be like level 2000 and still be fighting things your level. It's unbelievable!

With items you can "go inside" the weapon/armor piece and go through different battle stages and improve the quality of your armor or weapon. There's stats and abilites and whatnot that you can improve, spells, etc.

I'd definately recommend this game to ANYONE and EVERYONE who is into RPGs, even if they dont like turn-based games.

Edit:
                            you can check out http://images.google.com/images?q=disgaea&hl=en for screenshots and other pictures related to the game.
                            Last edited by Xog; 07-16-2005, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X