No announcement yet.

learn chinese in 5 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone will be offended by something, so you can really only not be offensive to certain groups of people (like rational people, for instance).

Oh, and I should probably post some actual Chinese phrases here that sound like English ones, since I'm somewhat fluent in Mandarin, but I'm lazy. And "Mei you" isn't funny.
    The pleasure's all mine.

Comment

My point though is that the people who feel offended tend to be treated as pariahs, as if no matter how bad the something was, it's not as bad as them for being offended by it. It's like someone getting punched in the arm and then getting blamed for the bruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
        My point though is that the people who feel offended tend to be treated as pariahs, as if no matter how bad the something was, it's not as bad as them for being offended by it. It's like someone getting punched in the arm and then getting blamed for the bruise.
        No it's like somebody getting taxed the same amount as everyone else, and then complaining about the tax.
        Originally posted by Tone
        Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

If you're trying to say that everyone gets made fun of equally, then I'd sure like to see how you can support that.

Comment

no, I'm saying that everyone is equally offended by something, but there are those that choose to laugh at themselves, and the stereotypes and such that offend them, and there are those that again, take themselves too seriously.

I don't think this thread crossed the line of being incredibly offensive, and therfore I don't believe such a hubub should be made about it.
            Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

So you're saying that, because everyone is equally offended, it's wrong to sound like you're more offended than everyone else?

The flaw there is that your logic is based on the idea that everyone gets equally offended. That is clearly not the case.

People always cite the ability to laugh at stereotypes and "ourselves" as a vital step towards ending racism. That might be true in theory, but it's a step in a process and there are several long steps to take before we get to that point. I'm pretty sure that not everyone who laughed at the topic are Chinese, so how are they laughing at "themselves".

The charge of Ashlee being too "politically correct" by feeling offended is applying the term incorrectly. She's not being PC if she's actually offended by it. "PC" means to do things a certain way, because one is afraid to offend people. It's all about the potential to offend. If she's actually offended though, then it's no longer a question of potential offence but actual offence. If she were saying: "you know, this might offend people. We shouldn't be saying this", then that's being PC. If she's saying "I am offended by this", that's no longer abstract but concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                Remember what you said about how people should avoid using analogies?
                You can't compare being offended to actual physical harm.

You don't have a right to not be offended by things.

Other side of the coin:
                This forum has a no racism policy. One of the moderators is an asian, not just by birth but by locale too. (Hi Kim!) If it gets shut down, then that's how it is. But by being left open this long it's pretty safe to assume that while being offensive to some, it's not inflammatory enough to shut down.
                "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

But again, as our fine Canadian friend (offence!) said, by setting aside your ego, and instead laughing at yourself, rather than being offended, we can build a base to end racism.

And yes, I understand that TK was arguing against me.

Comment

I said it earlier, I don't personally think this topic was racist. I don't think this thread should be closed either. But I think that this is close enough that some might think it should be. My point is that they shouldn't be criticized for feeling that way. I'm not as concerned about the initial thread posting as I am with Squeezer's statement "God I hate overly politically correct people" and his reaction to Ashlee finding offence to it. People aren't equally offended by things.

And I think the bruising analogy is apt. A bruise from punch to the arm isn't a lasting injury though it might smart for now. Some people bruise easier than others as well. If Ashlee finds this racist, it's along the same lines.

Comment

Haha that's Fa Kin Su Pah ^-^

Comment

Working...
                      X