My Personal Statement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Personal Statement

Here's my personal statement (for my application to Uni). I didn't post this in Disliked's thread because 1) it's about his statement and 2) it's dead.

I think it's almost finished but if any of you have any constructive criticism it would be most welcome

I am currently studying Media Studies, History and Philosophy and Ethics. I achieved A’s in AS level in both Philosophy and Ethics and Media Studies. This is due to my ability to meet deadlines and work in groups when it is necessary. I Enjoy Media Studies the most; I find it interesting and vital as it affects peoples’ everyday lives. I’ve had an interest in media which I also studied at GCSE level, where I achieved an A grade. I enjoy all aspects of media, from watching and analysing film to reading newspapers and looking at why they write them in different perspectives, and would like to continue by studying Media Studies at university, possibly going into a career in media.

My other two subjects have also been enjoyable. Philosophy and Ethics has taught me a range of skills such as not to always accept what we are told and to look at the world in a different way. History has taught me why the world is like it is today, as well as a module on the history of media. Both History and Philosophy and Ethics have information that will be useful to me when studying Media Studies at university.

My hobbies include reading, music and film. I read a lot of fiction novels, as well as watch the latest films. The techniques such as the editing and representations which are present in every film intrigue me and this influenced why I chose to study Media Studies at university. I have always enjoyed computing, both inside and outside studies. I studied GNVQ ICT, which helped me improve my ICT skills. I try to use computers whenever I can to aid my work. I often use the internet for research and word process whenever I can.

I’ve had a part-time job working for a local building company. This has helped me to work as a team, as well as giving me experience of what it is like to have a job in the ‘real world’. In addition, this helped me build up confidence of meeting new people and improve my communication skills.

To balance my academic studies, I enjoy playing a lot of sport. I regularly play football, as well as sometimes jog to keep myself fit. I am a member of my local snooker club and play on a weekly basis. As well as this, I am a keen course fisherman, which I try to do whenever I can. Furthermore, I play golf, although not at club level. I am looking forward to the opportunities the university sport clubs will offer. Although I am not taking a gap year, before university, I am planning to go travelling after I have completed my degree. I am trying to make the most of my youth and to not miss out on opportunities that I may later regret.

I believe that the time I spend at university will be one of the most enjoyable and rewarding times of my life. I realise the opportunities that a university degree will offer me, and intend to work consistently to achieve it. While academic work is obviously important, I realise that university is about meeting new people. I am definitely looking forward to and greatly anticipate this. I am a sociable person and am also looking forward to the independence that university offers.

Just read it for 2 seconds and noticed the apostrophe in A's. I believe that's not meant to be there.

Comment

ah cool i didn't know i could talk bout snooker with you. :]

Comment

Originally posted by Nockm
        Just read it for 2 seconds and noticed the apostrophe in A's. I believe that's not meant to be there.
        yeah, i didn't think this was right. i only put it in because it looks like the word "as"

bram: i'm not very good though

Comment

Wow! You've written so much! (compared to me)

I'm no expert on statements as you can see, but after skim reading it it looks good.

Comment

I'll write your statement for 10$ only!
            I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

I feel so shitty that I haven't got mine done.
              BUT, this weekend shall consist of solidly working

Comment

lie lie le
                Reinstate Sarien
                ph> AND THEN ME AND THE PLOINKIES WILL HEAD DOWN TO THE LOCAL CRUFFER FOR TEA AND WONKETS

Hal Wilker> Need I look recall the statement? And Suh.. control ya ho

"no, it's Monday, which of course means it's ethnic day, so ill be going with Rosalita"

Comment

just replace "A's" with "A grades"

replace "I've" with "I have"

replace "of what it is like to have a job in the ‘real world’" with "in the workplace"

I don't like "I realise that university is about meeting new people" but I cant think of an alternative.

-

on the whole, pretty damn good

Comment

Originally posted by Suzie-Q
                    lie lie le
                    You're a bitch Suzie

bitch bitch bitch

Comment

wtf is Media Studies
                      Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                      Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

You used the word "enjoy" a lot and forgot to lower case the "e" in one of them. Show them that you also enjoy the use of a thesaurus. I'd take a closer look at this for you when I get home later, but that caught my eye on the first run through.

Comment

Originally posted by NaiLed
                          bram: i'm not very good though
                          me neither man, in fact, i think i played snooker like twice in my life. last few years i unfortunatly rarely play pool, my friends don't seem to like it, and whenever i get them to play pool with me, they're so fucking awful it's not even fun for me, not saying i'm any good, but at least i try when making a shot and act like i'm the fuckin star. (kinda like in ss except i am a fucking star) maybe i should get some new friends. anyway, watching and loving snooker for years, it's one of the few sports in which i am a fan of the best guy in the league, o'sullivan.

i just had a 4 hour exam so i dont feel like makin sense. i'm going to go to a nice restaurant and then drink a lot of beer to celebrate the coming of weekend.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate the help, really.

Edit: bram: yeah, when I play snooker it's usually with my Dad, or with a couple of mates that seem to like playing. Uridium gives me a good challenge. Sadly, I've lost out of the couple times I've played him, and he doesn't even play much

Comment

hah, even if i'd get my dad to go play snooker with me, he's even a worse loser than i am. i get all pissed off over losing any sort of game, but i get over it within a few minutes, my dad doesn't. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X