Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Variable~

Originally posted by Fallen Angel

You could put it up addless, yes, that would result in a longer URL, but if you register a URL-mask at cbj.net this would no longer be a problem.
    Like this: twgallery.cjb.net
    Not too long in my opinion.
    There is no point to that. URL Masks are not free. What i currently have at the run.to address is a redirecting mask at the expense of one pop-up ad. Transfering to cjb would have the idential effect except it would be a longer URL.

I think I'm just going to get rid of it and get rid of the ad in the process...people might have to type some more in, but it will be a little more pleasant to navigate. Although I can't imagine that ad being SO bothersome that people can't just close it. It only pops up once anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Variable
      Why not just buy a domain, or ask for a subhost from some domain owner. I'd be glad to add twgallery.pexi.net on my domain

Anyways domains are cheap these days.
      Domains are NOT cheap at all. Especially the .coms and .nets that I'm looking into. But I am considering purchasing one at the moment.

I'd be glad to talk with you about the domain you are offering. Are you the same Pexi that ICQed me last night?

Comment

Originally posted by Jiu_Jitsu
        how is my pic already up there? i haven't emailed/im'd/talked to you in 4 months annux : /

take it down please, i have an uptodate pic that i just have to resize; i'll send that one in
        ~jiu"-"jitsu

p.s. jiu jitsu or jiu_jitsu, not - :P

I'd be more than happy to update your picture and resize it for you, as well. Make sure to include the proper spelling of your name in your email to IlyaRZ@hotmail.com.
        Last edited by Annux; 07-07-2002, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Annux, yes i am the same person. There are many domain registrars which offer domain registration in decent prices, lowest i have seen is 8.95$/year(.com.net.org). The thing is you need to park your domain somewhere, for this you would need a dns service provider, there are some free ones too (dnsmadeeasy.com or was it .net). Since i work for a webhosting company i can offer you some webspace with plesk cp,mysql etc. But you must register your own domain and then use our nameservers to park it.

If you still want a xxx.pexi.net, contact me on ICQ.
          Underpants gives us great advices:

Underground> Dont die
          Underground> And you win!

Comment

Re: Re: Variable~

Originally posted by Dantax

Perhaps that would be the case if they were posted in a public place. My second picture however, was in a private page that you had to be given permission to access. Permission which you do not have, which means it was passed to you by someone else. How is that any different than you just getting ahold of a picture in real life and scanning it in to post it without their permission?

It's interesting that you complain about how CoT ran the forums, that it was supposed to be for the community. And then you attempt to make a page for the community and immediately disregard any legitimate complaints.

That is 100% incorrect. Don't flatter yourself. I didn't h4x0r into any private pages to find your picture. I used an extensive image search engine for about half of the pics on the site, the other half either came from squad sites or directly from users.

The second your picture (whether really yours, or just a claim) is given to anyone over the internet, it is no longer in ownership of any one party. Since the internet can be accessed by any number of users, the instant that image enters the world wide web, whether through a secure connection or not, it is in the hands of the people, persay. You seem be under the impression that you still own that photograph. But, as you said, it is not and never was copyrighted.

In the last 2 days, I got about 40 positive responses regarding the site from happy TWers who finally have a chance to see what their friends and squadmates look like. Naturally, there were a few grumpy bunnies among them. One of these grumpy bunnies is apparently an internet attorney and threatened to sue me for 1. Libel and 2. Invasion of Privacy.

Apparently, this middle-aged housewife is not familiar with the law.

Libel, the act of presenting a false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation, never occured. There were no false comments printed. There were NO comments printed period. The pictures interlinked between the supposed party and their assumed image came together on perfectly legal grounds. You can not dispute the fact that if you upload a gallery of Disoblige players on to the Disoblige website and then link it in your siganture, I do not have the right to do what I please with those photos. Also, if the pictures happened to show up on a search engine, they are fair game. If the user claims that the picture of the gallery is false and is not them, then I am willing to change the picture to a real one sent to me.

Invasion of privacy, an intrusion or encroachment of the quality or condition of being secluded from the presence or view of others, does not apply on the grounds that the picture at hand was obtained in a legal manner. If I can locate your picture through using my internet browser, then it means you allowed your picture to be placed on the internet. I did not go to your house, steal your picture, scan it, and then claim that you sent me the photo.

However, both points are completely moot simply because any REAL information pertaining to your identity is never, ever revealed to the public at large. Your first name, your last name, your place of residence, nor any private information is ever shown. All we have is an alias from a computer game linked to the supposed picture of the player behind the alias.

Whether you want to believe this or not, Dantax, I did make the site for the community. If you are willing to take over, put it on tw.org, and work with it from now on using any rules you wish to establish - I will give you the site, along with any pictures you request. I have no problem with tw.org staff running if it will make more people happy and be exposed to a broader audience.

Comment

I made absolutely no mention of hacking Annux, I said that you didn't have permission to access the page, and that meant that someone passed the picture along to you.

I also made no legal claim whatsoever, I merely questioned why you would insist on posting a picture of a person on your site when they have requested that you not do so. Having a right to do so is not a reason. You still have to make the choice and I would like to know how you arrived at the decision you made. Why piss people off like that? If only one or two people have made a stink about it, why not just remove them from the site?

I also have no desire to run the TW Players gallery myself, though I will see if any other staff members would like to, and we could see about having it debut with the new TW.org design.
              -Dantax
              The Internet connects us all,
              The short, the fat, the thin, the tall,
              we buy, we sell, we learn, we grow,
              dial-up, fizz-fuzz, connect, let's go!

Comment

Hmmmm... it looks like he's right. As long as the pictures he's obtained were obtained in a lawful way then its not invasion of privacy. If you think about it... you don't even have to know that he had your picture. If you'll look at newspapers, they take pictures of people all the time. The people may not want to have their picture published, but the newspaper doesn't need to have consent from them to publish their photo. Tabloids do it all the time as well. While I think taking everyone's picture down who doesnt want it up would be a nice thing to do, Annux does not have to do it.
                Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

Even still, in the interest of "community", if a person requests that their picture be removed, then it should be. That will put the onus on the person in the picture to do it him or herself.

Comment

The most recent pic I have in digital format is the one I had up on the Crips site. I'll send it to ya next time I get on AIM Annux. It doesn't show my eyebrow piercing though.
                    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Copyright Infringement. Tabloids can post pictures of whoever because the photographer is the creator and owner of the copyright. They have to get permission from someone. The owner of the copyright on these images have the right to control their work. There may be a Fair Use exemption for this kind of thing, but I don't think it really fits especially when you factor in intent.

Fun Fact! You have copyright protection even if you don't put a copyright warning on it! You won't get any money for damages though.
                      LAME - http://lame.twzone.net

Comment

Originally posted by Childrn of Light
                        Copyright Infringement. Tabloids can post pictures of whoever because the photographer is the creator and owner of the copyright. They have to get permission from someone. The owner of the copyright on these images have the right to control their work. There may be a Fair Use exemption for this kind of thing, but I don't think it really fits especially when you factor in intent.

Fun Fact! You have copyright protection even if you don't put a copyright warning on it! You won't get any money for damages though.
                        can i get a 'fucken a!'?

FUCKEN A!
                        Animol> the solution for crimelization is openetion of heartization
                        Moltenrock> STOP TALKING TO MY TEAMMMATE ASSHOLE

Comment

I am currently in talks with staff about having the sited hosted on tw.org. In that event, Staff will set the rules and I will just do the manual work which means pictures will go down if so requested.

Comment

Originally posted by Childrn of Light

That is true, but it would be kind of pointless and a waste of time to actually go all the way through a legal process over a picture. That is why people tend to be all buddy buddy to get their picture down, then trash them after. As many people I have seen try it, and not succeeded. Just as I'm sure you have heard of recent talks between Annux and some other people that won't be mentioned.

Lots of love,
                            Left_Eye
                            sigpic

Comment

I imagine there's something from your server provider's terms and conditions which says:

"Annux, don't be a twat"

Comment

My Server provider is Mefod.

'Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                                X