iBook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iBook

I'm thinking of selling my desktop computer and switching to laptop because I don't want to sit here in the same spot all day long doing school work. Anyway, I'm hearing iBook would be the best option for the price (around 1100e). I need silence, small size, long battery life and I've been told that if I want a pc, I'd have to pay almost 2000e for those specs. Is this true?

Also I'm wondering why does a 100gb hard drive for iBook cost extra 220e? Isn't that just crazy?

Moderators: Don't move this to a tech support, because this isn't tech support thread. I don't need help with tech, I need help with prices. Edit: And no one reads tech support.
    Last edited by Mulkero; 11-14-2005, 09:01 AM.
    last.fm - Keeping it short

at my school have ibooks, and i got new one, fun fun fun it came in japanese so i couldn't read a fucking thing IBook is worst shit i ever seen and i want macintosh to die. Dont get compaq either, they also suck. I heard dell makes a nice custom laptop, but that just what i hear :x

In conclusion

DONT WANT JAPANESE IBOOK OF USELESS SHIT!

Comment

There's a thread about laptop in tech support.

I have a new IBM model which is alright, I have to pay 1,000 $ more then it's worth but it's for school.

Comment

I know there are, but there's no thread about this particular one, ibook. IBM has some nice laptops, but they're expensive quality wise.

Comment

Get a desktop PC.

Comment

I have 2

Comment

Originally posted by Mulkero
              Anyway, I'm hearing iBook would be the best option for the price (around 1100e). I need silence, small size, long battery life and I've been told that if I want a pc, I'd have to pay almost 2000e for those specs. Is this true?

Also I'm wondering why does a 100gb hard drive for iBook cost extra 220e? Isn't that just crazy?
              Size and weight (12.1-inch model)
              Height: 1.35 inches (3.42 cm)
              Width: 11.2 inches (28.5 cm)
              Depth: 9.06 inches (23.0 cm)
              Weight: 4.9 pounds (2.2 kg)

Size and weight: (14.1-inch model)
              Height: 1.35 inches (3.42 cm)
              Width: 12.7 inches (32.3 cm)
              Depth: 10.2 inches (25.9 cm)
              Weight: 5.9 pounds (2.7 kg)

lithium-ion battery provides up to 6 hours of battery life on a single charge

and the reason for the price on the 100 gig hard drive is that it's a 4200 rpm ultra ATA laptop drive that not only has to be small enough to fit in that 1.35 inch (3.42 cm) height, it has to be able to park its heads instantly with warning from the sudden motion sensor. In short, it's a quality drive. Quality costs money. I have no idea what 1100e is in American dollars, so I'm not sure if you're talking about the 12" or 14" model.

I'm a mac guy so naturally I'm going to tell you it's worth it. But just so you have more than enough reason to believe me, visit an Apple store, and play with it, get it demoed. Decide for yourself. I can tell you for certain that it's a quality device, and should you get one, I'll do what I can to help you with it, as I would for any other new Mac user. The Mac community is generally a friendly one to other (and especially new) Mac users. If time is not exactly a constraint and you feel up to waiting a year or more, you could wait for intel macs. That's just a personal choice, the PPC Mac is a great machine.

Originally posted by Zabuza
              at my school have ibooks, and i got new one, fun fun fun it came in japanese so i couldn't read a fucking thing IBook is worst shit i ever seen and i want macintosh to die.
              Anyone that can't figure out the grand total 3 clicks it takes to convert the entire OS from any language conversion pack installed to English or French or any other language is beyond most forms of help. It doesn't surprise me however, after your giant idiot text.
              "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

With Apple computers you pay full price for a high quality machine. If you want the cheapest thing, you should be able to find something else cheaper. In my opinion, with Mac OS you will save time and headaches in terms of ease-of-use, support, currently no viruses in the wild. That's worth something. If you are not familiar with Mac OS, there will be a small learning curve.

If you get it, I would be happy to help you with anything as you learn and I'm sure Sarien would too. : )

One nice thing about the latest Mac OS X 10.4.3 is that the language menu is available even in the login screen. So if your password is in a different language other than the default, you have no problems. (QWERTY is available for logging in even though I normally use a Dvorak key-mapping)

EDIT: More on prices

In the US (which I'm hoping is similar to Finland), the 14" iBook is about $1300 (1100e). I bought a 14" Dell.com for my girlfriend this year during a huge sale for around $800 (680e). The normal price was $1500 (1280e).

In the US, the Apple upgrade from 60 to 100G is $150 (128e). A 4200RPM 100G Hard drive from Newegg.com is around $150 (128e).

Also, if silence is a requirement you will almost never hear an Apple unless you are putting in a CD/DVD. The fans and HD are close to silent.
                Last edited by geekbot; 11-14-2005, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I've used iMacs in work and in school, Mac OS X is a fine OS (I've been using Linux for a couple of years now). I was browsing through some Acer laptops too, and I noticed I'd get 100gb, 1024mb and AMD Turion 1.6Ghz with 3h+ of battery life for the same price. The 14" iBook costs Eur 1.379,00 which is quite a lot. 12" for Eur 1.069,00.

Comment

Yeah no kidding.

All I have is a 1.6 M processor, 80 gig HDD, radeon 9200 SE and it just barely plays Quake 4 with the video over cloaked (the guys in my class a gaming freaks). The one I have is a R51, 725 IMB Model, it is small and very durable. I would recommend IBM to anyone who wants to do light gaming and heavy projector stuff + school work on the go.

Cost: 1900 Canadian. Retail is something like 1100 but with all wonderful (10-4PM, not on weekends or fridays) tech-support with the do it your self attitude, they figure the extra 800 is fair <_<.

Comment

Dont Do Dell.
                      Just dont.
                      ever.
                      I really do like pie

Aos> im a freelance Gynecologist

GHB>I AM ANGRY ON THE INTERNETf

Matchbot1> You can't challenge your own squad, silly :P

Comment

Working...
                      X