Recommendations for Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got to love al'lan mandragorian
    it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Originally posted by Cops
      got to love al'lan mandragorian
      :wub: + Thom, Perrin, and Eylas.
      7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
      7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
      7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
      7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
      1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

Comment

<3 to Mat and Elayne
        7:Randedl> afk, putting on makeup
        1:Rough> is radiation an element?
        8:Rasta> i see fro as bein one of those guys on campus singing to girls tryin to get in their pants $ ez
        Broly> your voice is like a instant orgasm froe
        Piston> I own in belim
        6: P H> i fucked a dude in the ass once

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy Weasel
          Amazing books. Best series I've ever read.
          I second that, totally. Winter is coming...
          Also, check out China Mieville and his books King Rat, The Scar and Perdido Street Station.
          2:Displaced> k washed my nuts, hope they stop itching now
          2:Displaced> now its my fucking foot that is itching, FOR FUCKS SAKE

2:Eeks> there was this girl that had a crush on me
          2:Eeks> and she had the biggest boobs i've ever seen live
          2:Eeks> had back problems too i think
          2:Eeks> it was kinda disturbing when her boobs were bigger than her head

1:DangerGirl> spider, give your cap to era
          1:spider> Wooooohoo!
          1:spider> .*passes the hat*
          1:Erathia> <eats the hat>

Comment

Originally posted by Eric is God
            If you like fantasy books at all, the best series I've ever read is the 4 book series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. The 4 books are:

A Game of Thrones
            A Clash of Kings
            A Storm of Swords
            A Feast for Crows (currently #4 on New York Times best selling original fiction I believe)
            AAAAAAAAAAAAA. I'm currently reading the 2nd book and so far it has been amazing.
            megaman89> tsunami taught me that 1 shouldnt have used it
            L K> taught u what?
            megaman89> how to suck

9:WiL> im gonna with my league \o/
            9:Graner <ZH>> you mean win?
            9:WiL> being on plade i forgot how to spell it

Comment

I'm actually rereading the first 3 (halfway through the 3rd now) since it's been a few years since I finished them and my memory is terrible so I'd forgotten almost everything except the really big events, so it's still really enjoyable. Getting the new one for Christmas.

It really is a great series. If you like Wheel of Time you'll love this series. Everyone I know who has read them both likes the Song of Ice and Fire series a whole lot more than WoT. Myself included.

Comment

Getting the new one for Christmas.
                As am I hehe.

Other fantasy series worth taking a look at:

Dragon Lance- Still my favorite series of all time mostly because I started reading them in grade 6 like 13 years ago. The first 6 books (Chronicles and Legends) are by far the best, followed by any of the books that advance the overall world storyline and anything involving Raistlin :grin: The series has probably topped 150 books by now (I own around 80 of them and yes I'm a fantasy nerd) and although of the newer books arn't all amazing, I'd still recommend the original 6 books to any fantasy lover.

Sword of Truth- up to 9 books now, all written by Terry Goodkind. The first 3 were amazing, the others span from great to mostly boring. The only constant gripe I have about every book is that it takes anywhere from 700 to over 1000 pages for the books to reach their climaxes, which only last about 30-50 pages.

Shannara series- I read the original 4 book series by Terry Brooks about 10 years ago and really enjoyed them. The next 4 book series was also very good and I recently read the newer series entitled "The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara" which I thought was excellant (although I breezed through each book in 2 days). Anything written by Terry Brooks is a good bet.

I have yet to read any of the Wheel of Time series. I'm hoping to save $150 by borrowing them from someone else. When compared to the $10 you pay for seeing a movie that lasts 2 hours a good book is a much better deal, but $10-$12 Cdn for a paper back is still expensive...

Comment

It really is a great series. If you like Wheel of Time you'll love this series. Everyone I know who has read them both likes the Song of Ice and Fire series a whole lot more than WoT. Myself included.
                  As I added by edited my original post, I think one of it's biggest appeals is that there are just so many characters to keep track of. Not only that, he manages to actually develope each of them quite a bit (Tyrion is one that really stands out in terms of character development). The only negative thing I can say about the series (without revealing any details) is that it gets somewhat depressing at times, but that's only because it's about war and in real war all the "good guys" don't survive. I like how he titles each chapter by the name of the character it will surround and then he leaves you hanging since it may end up being 4-5 chapters until you read about that again character. Obviously that's the whole point because the author is trying to write about an epic war from as many as 6 or 7 view points at once.

Only other negative I can think of is that the 5th book won't be out until at least mid 2006 I'm betting

Comment

Originally posted by BleakFuture
                    I'm particularly addicted to the Wheel of Time series, and the Icewind Dale series as well.
                    I get alot of down time at work, so having a book to read is helpful for passing the time.
                    Also, another good series that I've read is Forge of God/Anvil of the Stars by Greg Bear. Its a very technical sci-fi book, so if you like that kind of book, by all means check it out.
                    Fuck yes, Icewind Dale/Forgotten Realms represent
                    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Blue
                      Fuck yes, Icewind Dale/Forgotten Realms represent

Heh, I hear ya. I prefer WoT, but there's something that just lets me re-read some of the Icewind Dale books.
                      I really do like pie

Aos> im a freelance Gynecologist

GHB>I AM ANGRY ON THE INTERNETf

Matchbot1> You can't challenge your own squad, silly :P

Comment

I haven't checked out the WoT series yet, after reading this thread I got "A Game of Thrones", book 1 of the Song of Ice and Fire series. After I'm done with this series, I'll probably check out WoT. I kinda wanna re-read the Narnia books also.
                        My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Read Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre.

And then tell me if Jesus was a bad mother fucker.

Comment

Working...
                          X