Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadians, click here.

LOLOLO
    Last edited by Send; 04-27-2015, 03:34 AM.

Hand guns are causing a majority of the violence and as they are easily concealed so I think a ban on them would do some good, at least in urban and highly populated areas. Gun nuts won't have it since they think owning a gun makes them safer but that's another debate. I think the NDP has the best way of dealing with it, attack the problem at the source: Homelessness, poverty, disgruntled youth and hopelessness.

The conservatives are attacking the side effect of the problem by locking people away (not focusing on rehabilitation) and throwing more police into the mix.

What is more realistic and what will probably happen is the conservaties plan depending on different areas that need more police. Some violent crimes may in the future also result in more time because violent crime rates have gone up but overall crime hasn't gone up. Overall this approach is very poor and uneffective but a safe route to take for an election promise. I don't think it address the problem. Out west they won't take having any limits on weapon ownership so don't expect that to happen federally.
    The NDP plan will mean a lot more social programs meaning big time money.
    For taxes the Liberal's plan sounds like it will be the least costly.
    Last edited by Kolar; 01-11-2006, 06:56 PM.

Comment

My thoughts

I have moved to ajax since the violence in my old neighborhood got out of hand so the my parents decided to move. Last November I got a call from my aunt telling me , my cousin had been shot, thank god was alive. I was trying to wonder why would the police let all these events go on. like every other night some one was shot. I was really pissed off when it took the shooting death of Jane Creba for people to act. Yes I am black and I am not saying it was a race thing but come on.

I think the issues started with provincial government. The cut backs to social programs and the lack of officers on the street. Some people blame the guns coming in from the US. I don’t know how we are going to stop this wave of senseless violence and the lost of innocent life. I think these men who have been carrying out these acts should be locked up for very long time and if your caught with a hand gun you should get 5 to 10 atomically. Also we should not think this is an urban problem, it’s a Canadian problem.

I will try to think on how can we solve this issue and post more later.

Comment

The liberals are also planning to have curfews for teenagers? I thought it was just the guns.
        -Their plan seems great, but the least likely to be able to follow through

The NDP thinks that they can stop smuggling over the border, but smuggling exists in every country in the world, so it's just an inevitable thing. Border security sounds great, but Canada and the United-States have the longest unmonitored border in the world -what would they do, add a policemen at every 5 meters of the forests?

The conservative's idea sounds much more reasonable as an action that can be done. Though they're action might not stop gun violence anyways.

Between these 3, liberals win for best idea, NDP for best choice, conservatives for most cheaply-logical idea.
        Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
        -Buddha

Comment

http://www.speakout.com/forum_view.a...635&mMID=27635

Ahahahahahha oh geez, that's hilarious.

Comment

None of those methods would work.
            I AM NOT AN ANIMAL

Comment

a ban on handguns won't do much since the majority of hand guns used in these crimes are already illegal.

Comment

The issue gets interesting when you look at the numbers. There were more gun violence stories in the news this past year, but if you look at the actual data, there were actually fewer murders this year. While it's true that gun deaths in Toronto have risen, the total number of murders, 78, is lower than the average annual number of deaths from 1994 to 2003, which is 80. In 2004 there were 94 homocides in Toronto, 16 more than this year.

If you look at it on a national scale, Toronto's murder rate for 2005 was 78 out of a population of 4.6 million. That's about 1.70 murders for every 100,000 people. Edmonton's murder rate in 2004 was 3.4 per 100,000 people, that's double Toronto's murder rate. And that's only using 2004's figures. Murders Edmonton rose 30% in 2005 so their murder rate for last year will be even higher. The national murder rate in Canada for the last decade is 2.16 per 100,000, so Toronto is still well below the national average.

I'm not saying that there isn't a gun problem or that it isn't a big problem. Gun related homocides still rose dramatically in Toronto this year, but we still have to keep things in perspective and form a policy that makes sense and is more than a knee-jerk reaction.

Comment

I support a ban on hand guns. My personal view is the same as our prime minister's, guns are made for one reason, to kill people. Toronto is a big city though but honestly, I'd feel much safer knowing that it was illegal to carry or poses fire weapons.
                  Blood Love Overcomes Our Depressions

PROPERTY OF DICE AS OF FEB, 17 2007

WIN LOSE OR TIE UNITED FORCE TILL I DIE

THE BOYS OF SUMMER
                  LIVE FOR GRAPEVINE
                  SHED BLOOD FOR GRAPEVINE
                  I DIE FOR GRAPEVINE

WWW.SIZZERB.COM

Comment

Originally posted by Send
                    http://www.speakout.com/forum_view.a...635&mMID=27635

Ahahahahahha oh geez, that's hilarious.
                    Rofl Send, that sounds like something you'd find on www.fstdt.com (Fundies say the darndest things)

Originally posted by Disliked
                    Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
                    +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

None of these are a really solid plan in my opinion. However the Conservatives and NDP are on the right track, the Liberal plan simply won't work. Reason being is that, like Bigwig said, handguns are already illegal and those who actually own handguns legally are not the ones who intend on going out and shooting someone with them. As for the cerfew, it's a long shot to get implimented because of the uproar it would cause from teenagers and business owners.

As far as the other two are concerned, the Conservatives ending gun registry helps out those who have firearms legally. I know that my uncle is a sport hunter and all the law requiring him to register his guns are costly, and again the only people that gun registry affects are those who have them legally. Hiring more police is a feasible, albeit costly, solution which would stop shootings at the source. Increasing the mandatory sentencing will have little effect overall and would not actually help the problem, just deal with the aftermath.

The NDP's plan is also feasible but even with the increase in border security it would be impossible to stop guns from entering Canada, at least not without an enormous price tag attached to it. To stop guns from entering Canada you would have to search every single person/vehicle crossing the border which would take vast amounts of time/resources and that only covers those who enter Canada legally. You still have all the unprotected border and coastlines to deal with, which I'm guessing (no actual facts on this) is where the majority of guns come through anyways. Also this plan doesn't have any solution for the guns that are already here.

Conclusions (these are all my personal opinion)

Liberal: Definately has the lowest cost but you get what you pay for, this plan is useless - nothing will actually change.

Conservative: The best of the three overall. Having more police would stop some of the shootings, along with other unmentioned crimes. Removing gun registry and having tougher sentences would not stop shootings from happening though.

NDP: Highest cost to impliment. This plan would stop some of the guns from entering Canada. However regardless of how tough border security is handguns will still find their way in. Also they have no plan to deal with handguns that are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Send
                        The Liberals are proposing a handgun ban and a curfew for teenagers after 10 PM.

that would be fucked up coz it will take your freedom away but it might work tro :/
                        SSCU Trench Wars Local BanG Operator
                        SSCU Trenchwars SModerator
                        Trench Wars Extreme League Head Operator
                        Trench Wars Divisions Operator

1:Rudy> We don't let Barton out much
                        1:Rudy> He has a habit of touching things he's not supposed to
                        1:Rudy> Like fire, and boobies

Comment

My sisters friend was shopping at that time, and witnessed the girl fall to the ground. Guy ran as if their was no tomorrow. Personally, id be terrified if i saw that.
                          Singularit> Ive seen old men do alot of scary shit
                          Beasts> ur grandpa always runs around on ice singu?
                          Unorthadox> LMAO
                          Unorthadox> LMFAO
                          Singularit> mine does
                          Singularit> but hes ubergrandpa
                          Unorthadox> ROFL

Comment

LOL
                            Last edited by Send; 04-27-2015, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X