1,2,3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1,2,3?

1. Stereotyping. This is the name of the way people use existing social schemas to identify other people. It's usually based on age, sex, or race (or all 3). For example, using age, you think that an old guy driving a car is slow, senile, blind as a bat, etc.. That is a stereotype. I'm sure many people know of the race side of it all, what with racial profiling, when cops pull over black men on the streets. Sex/Gender, I'm not even going to go into. Anyway, those are all about stereotypes; putting other people into a class they are not necessarily in.

2. Prejudice. Stereotyping can lead to prejudice, which is positive or negative evaluation of a group or its members. It's usually negative. For example, take good 'ol US of A: a lot of Americans think all middle easterners are terrorists. On the other hand, the evaluation can be positive (sort of, even though it's not good to have any prejudices). For example, many people think Asian Americans -> Super Smart -> "Oh, math major." So those are stereotypes.

3. Discrimination. If you base your behavior around people on prejudices, that becomes discrimination. An example of this would be college admissions or women in the military. Discrimination is basically pretty far on the bad end. There's probably something after discrimination like in the lines of genocide, where you hate a group so much you want to kill them all.

What do I think? Ergo, you don't want to even reach having a prejudice. To remove prejudice, get to know those people instead of just shunning them. Actually, don't even fall into stereotypes, be concerned with them, live in them, mock them, or defend them. Even better, just drop the hate. Forgive each other. Drop the hate. (Drop the Hate - Fatboy Slim)
    thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

when people stereotype themselves, others judge them. rightly so. non-conformity is key but many people find comfort in these stereotype groups. so oh well.

Comment

Working...
    X