Alito has Spoken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Facetious
    that said, it really pisses me off that some gays wouldnt be satisfied with equal rights but a different name. if its not the rights that are important they are almost as thick-headed as the dumbass religious right thats arguing against it.
    I'm just curious as to where you read that it's not about rights but specifically about the word. The only reason the word itself is important to any gay couple I know of is because the law specifically uses the word to enable rights (if you're not "married," you don't get the same visitation rights at hospitals, for example). I'm not saying that there aren't people who wouldn't complain about equal rights with a different name, I'm just saying I've never heard that side before.
    Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandagirl!
      Before you try and judge me, get the whole story.
      Please realize that this statement is entirely hypocritical.
      Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Stanhope
        Here's the abortion argument you hear all the time, but doesn't make any sense at all. They go, "I'm against abortion, except like in cases of rape." That's like saying, "Yes, a fetus is a human being, just like you or me, unless the dad is an asshole." So tommorrow, if your dad commits a crime, we can come over to your office, pull you out of your cubicle, and suck your head flat with a vacuum.
        Conc: I disagree with saying that abortion is murder is an easy out. I think it's a valid to beleive that a fetus is a life. That said, because the beleif about when life starts is essentially a personal descision, I completely agree that it should not be regulated.

Face: The argument goes that if gay marriages are forced to use a different word, it will continue to promote the idea of gays as an other. I agree to some extent. That said, I agree with you in as much I beleive it's a wrongheaded to worry more about the word than the rights. Get the rights first, the work on getting society to stop being retarded.

Comment

The problems that will arise from this, stems from legal jargon. Insurance Companies can and will use strategic wording within their contracts. Be it Auto, Home Owners, Life Insurance and so on. Likewise for Medical coverages for spouses and or family members. Hurricane Katrina victims know this. Insurance companies are not coming through with monies, based upon wording in the policies, say that N.O.L.A. people with flood damage is not actually due to the Hurricane. Technically it was from the Levy's and flood waters and not actually the hurricane itself. Ummm....yeh...ok.

To blanket the entire wording as an equality, the copywriters will not have to re-word and add footnotes to policies of such noting exceptions and so on.
          I can also understand why the wording of the union of a hetero or homosexual needs to have the same phrase of "marriage" and not two meanings or as some see it....labels.
          May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandagirl!
            How do you know that I do nothing to help out?

One of my best friends fosters kids that are up for adoption. Her and I are with them constantly. We teach them to read and write. We teach them how to walk and we potty train them. They never found a home for one child, and they adopted him themselves. He's a little wild, and my friend and I are helping make him more, well, civilized. In my free time, I knit hats, booties, and blankets for babies that are born prematurely or to underprivelaged families. Once a week a tutor elementary kids and help them with their homework. Our family also sponsers a girl in Haiti that we send food, money, and clothing to. When I get older, I'd gladly adopt a child. Even if I have kids of my own, I fully plan on adopting a child that no one can find a home for.

Before you try and judge me, get the whole story.
            Ay, and you know what effect narrowmindedness had on me and my friends.

The true definition of Intellegence isn't really how much you know, but how open and willing you are to learn.
            Originally posted by Tone
            Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

well, panda, its cool that you do that stuff. i said "if you do help out, its one thing to say the stuff youre saying, if you dont, you really suck." while i find it hard to believe you help out foster children "constantly," at least youre doing something, and i respect that. i hope your family knows how corrupt many christian "save the children" charities are, and that you chose a good one aka not pat robertson's.
              5:gen> man
              5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

Working...
              X