iPhone revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blueblaze View Post
    It doesn't seem that special to me, what can that phone do that my phone can't do besides an unnecessary touch screen?
    Does your phone have iTunes, wifi, bluetooth, the ability to run OS X, google maps, safari, coverflow, multi-touch support, 4/8gb of storage, and free IMAP e-mail?

Comment

Originally posted by phata$$ View Post
      Does your phone have iTunes, wifi, bluetooth, the ability to run OS X, google maps, safari, coverflow, multi-touch support, 4/8gb of storage, and free IMAP e-mail?
      iTunes? Nope, but it does have an mp3 player, as I dislike iTunes anyway, so it gets the job done, playing mp3s/videos

Wifi, unfortunately it doesn't, which would be nice I suppose, but thats why people buy laptops, you can buy one for the price of that phone.

Bluetooth, yes

Ability to run OS X, nope, but I'm a Windows guy :P

Google maps, yes

Never used safari/coverflow

Mentioned touch pad before^

4/8 gb storage, I was cheap and bought a 1 gb card, but for $600 I could easily buy a few 8gb cards lol

Free IMAP e-mail, I have no idea what that is, but I can check my email on my phone, so thats not a big deal.

Does the iPhone even have a camera? As well, for $600, you could easily buy a laptop which is far superior. The only really spectacular thing about the phone is the Wifi support, but then again, phones already had internet before, now it'll be faster when your in certain spots, thats not anything new, just an upgrade to cellphone technology.
      May my ambition be, more love of Christ to thee.

Comment

Yes, it does have a camera. I don't know, but for $600, I would rather buy a sexy 11.6 millimeter device than a laptop. Plus, I wouldn't really consider the multi-touch screen 'unnecessary' considering that it might revolutionize the future of handheld technology.

Comment

Yes, it does have a camera. I don't know, but for $600, I would rather buy a sexy 11.6 millimeter device than a laptop. Plus, I wouldn't really consider the multi-touch screen 'unnecessary' considering that it might revolutionize the future of handheld technology.
          Look how much the Nintendo DS revolutionized the future of handheld technology. Thats how much the multi-touch screen will at most.

Besides, this beast is all I need:

Comment

The DS doesn't have multi-touch support. Do some research on multi-touch technology then tell me your opinions on it.

BTW Nice Phone

Comment

The DS doesn't have multi-touch support. Do some research on multi-touch technology then tell me your opinions on it.

BTW Nice Phone
              Thanks, I meant it will have the same impact that the DS had, not the same feature :P

I haven't found much about what multi-touch support is, all I've found about the iPhone just mentions it has a touchscreen but not too much about the touchscreen itself. Do you have a link/source with more info?

One thing I do admit, that having a touch screen like that allows you to have a large visibility screen, which is always nice, but its also why the phone has less battery time as well.

Comment

I googled this one up. Shows the basic capabilities and shit.

http://ted.com/tedtalks/tedtalksplayer.cfm?key=j_han

Comment

The only special thing about iPhone is the touch screen, when compared to other phones. It is quite weak in other features (No 3G/3.5G support for example).

Comment

Look how much the Nintendo DS revolutionized the future of handheld technology. Thats how much the multi-touch screen will at most.

That's my phone, well I have the older model and I only spended 195€ on it a year ago. $
                    some are wise, some are otherwise

1: PolluX> People say I talk too much
                    1: Louis XV> Dude you seriously need to stfu!
                    1: Louis XV> I still love you, k?

Comment

It's probably been said but...

There's no way I'd ever pay that much for a phone.

Comment

I have the same cellphone! It's good eh? I like it
                        help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

4:PinkSTAR <ER>> ask DP he knows me inside and out

Comment

I know that on this nokia phone:

You can talk all day long without having to recharge. I know this because someone I know organises events, and he used to have that phone and he could spend all day talking on it without having to recharge in the middle. Now he has 2 phones so he can have on charged all the time.
                          Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

I was hoping for a phone the size of a nano, with no music and/or photo crap, just a phone. That'd be great. I got a 6 megapixel camera, I got a ipod nano, why the fuck would I need them combined in half crap quality.
                            You ate some priest porridge

Comment

in answer to galleleo

that phones shit. im sure when reffering to the battery time being not so bad, people meant in relevance to newer phones that can actually do more than just make phone calls and send txts, oh and also have an alarm function.

also, the iphone looks awesome, i will definatly be getting one.
                              Last edited by thesearcher; 01-10-2007, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Apple is content on selling with high margins to a specific group of people. This phone is not like the iPod which they have been able to make inroads with Windows users and dominate the market. This is a company moving into an already crowded market but is looking to strongly capture a tiny portion of the market.

The phone "competes" with smart phone types like Blackberry, Treo, Q. But it doesn't really. It supports push email, browsing, pictures, music etc but it does not support Outlook/Exchange. That means they can't go for the entire market of business people who use these kinds of phones.

But they can get all the Mac/PC iTunes users and especially the Mac users who can sync all their contacts, calendars, pictures completely automatically, just like with an iPod. One of my favorite things about my iPod is it automatically picks up my latest pictures from my camera, my latest calendar, etc.....all without me having to do a thing as long as I sync once in a while, which I do anyway. To be able to have that on an iPhone is very compelling.

They other caveat is the hefty price (4G w/2 yr contract $499, 8G $599). The RAZR was $500 when it first came out but most people waited to buy it after the contract bundles brought the price down to less than $200. But the market Apple is going for is that small first group of people who are willing to pay for it. People are willing to pay $200-300 for an iPod....it's not hard to imaging a group of people willing to shell out more for an iPhone which is like a nano and so much more. It'll be interesting to see how Apple prices this a year from now (and how this fits into or alongside the iPod lineup).

EDIT: And it's sexy. I guess people will buy it just so they can be like friggin Tom Cruise in Minority Report....flick a finger to "flip through" pictures...two finger zoom in/out. I will be first in line at the Apple store to give it a try.
                                Last edited by geekbot; 01-10-2007, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X