Univeristy and then career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Univeristy and then career

today i found out I didn't get inot the university I wanted even though i have the fucking grades.

anyway, i might have to settle going to a not-so-good university. does this make a difference when I want to get a job - will the employer look at the position of the university in the rankings table or will he just accept a having a degree as having a degree? obviously it would make a difference if you went to Oxford or Cambridge, but what about Cardiff (where I wnted to go - about 17 in the table), and say Portsouth (70something) or Reading (31)?

argh this is bullshit, i'm going to phone them up in a minute to find out why i didn't get in

edit: just to say I don't really know what I want to do, but I'm going to study English language

No it won't make a difference, don't worry about it.

Unless you went to somewhere like Bolton uni, that isn't even on the top100 chart.

Comment

ok :/

i didn't use up all my choices so I'll try Reading, and if not i'll probbaly go UWE

it's just that i tried so hard doing my A-Levels and at UWE you don't even need particuarly high grades to get in UWE

thanks, disliked
      Last edited by NaiLed; 03-01-2007, 09:54 AM.

Comment

no idea about the UK, but in Finland I don't think they examine the details of the degree too much.
        jee

Comment

A 2:1 degree is a 2:1 degree.

The company will officially state that they don't care where the degree is from. There will, however, be some sort of discrimination, but this will different depending on who you're applying to.

It shouldn't make that much of a difference unless you go somewhere super crappy like Thames Valley or if you go somewhere super-good like Oxford.
          USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
          ---A few minutes later---
          9:cool koen> you scorereseted
          9:Kim> UM
          9:Kim> i didn't
          9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
          9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
          9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
          9:pascone> lol?

Comment

I would think it only really makes a difference if you go to like Cambridge or Oxford, though I believe that a lot of the value that you take out of those universities is also networking with the rich kids and stuff..

But I doubt if it really makes that much of a difference.

So you still don't get to meet Fruity huh?
            Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

All The Man cares about is if you put your money & time into the system and have a piece of paper to prove it. :george:

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much. In the US, unless you want to become a doctor or a lawyer, it doesn't matter so much where you go, as long as you have the degree.

Also, I dunno about where you live, but here you can write the college a letter explaining why you deserve to be accepted (I forget the official name for it) and you offer some more reasons why you are a great prospective student. This shows how dedicated and determined you are to go there since not very many students do this. I had a classmate who skipped 3 grades, got 5's (top score) on his advanced placement classes, nearly perfect SAT, plays in varsity sports, was the vice president of student body AND has an older sister going to Harvard and he didn't get accepted. He did what I just described and they accepted him.

Comment

decide what you need in life
                  then decide what you want.

do things that bring you closer to that.

Best reason to go to university is the social networking imo. Its who u know, not what you know alot of the time in life.
                  Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                  Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

I thought you could only get up to a 4 in an AP test. Maybe that's just Ohio though.
                    Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
                    1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
                    1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
                    1:Chao <ER>> at all
                    1:Mantra-Slider> chao
                    1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
                    Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
                    Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

Originally posted by NaiLed View Post
                      (where I wnted to go - about 17 in the table), and say Portsouth (70something) or Reading (31)?
                      If this reading is the same reading as the place where the reading festival is held,

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GO THERE
                      5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                      5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                      5: Da1andonly> =((
                      5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                      5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                      5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Originally posted by Pandagirl! View Post
                        I thought you could only get up to a 4 in an AP test. Maybe that's just Ohio though.
                        5 in California

Comment

AP is a national test and 5 is the maximum score everywhere.

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about it much, Nailed. First of all there's no point because there's not much you can do about it besides trying to transfer. Even then, just focus on doing and being the best where ever you go.

Comment

Personally, as a past employer, I do look at the qualifactions gained (I apply them to the work that they will be doing).

In all honesty I don't think it would limit your ability to get the job. Personality plays a big factor to.
                            Hirluin is now known on TW as Hirluin! <ZH>

New Zealand - home of the best Trench Wars players in the world!

DJ Hirluin on TW Radio

My awesome MySpace page :)

Comment

Originally posted by NaiLed View Post
                              Oxford or Cambridge,
                              my friend has 6 a-levels 450 UCAS points and he turned both of them down. they arnt that great. An important issue is how good the university is for your subject. i.e you wouldn't go to aberystwyth for genetics, nor brighton for anything outside the arts.
                              Reinstate Sarien
                              ph> AND THEN ME AND THE PLOINKIES WILL HEAD DOWN TO THE LOCAL CRUFFER FOR TEA AND WONKETS

Hal Wilker> Need I look recall the statement? And Suh.. control ya ho

"no, it's Monday, which of course means it's ethnic day, so ill be going with Rosalita"

Comment

Working...
                              X