No announcement yet.

Bush Commutes Libby's Sentence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Libby's crime was that he lied under oath. I agree that this is a seroius crime and he should be punished. But I also thought that Clinton should be punished when he lied under oath.

I do not see how anyone can be pissed about Libby lying under oath and not be pissed about Clinton lying under oath.

This is not about blowjobs and war. It is about taking an oath, swearing to tell the truth, but then flipping off the justice system. People have gone to jail for a long time because they were not willing to tell the truth when under oath (contempt of court for not giving the name of a source, for example).

Libby should go to jail and Clinton should have gone to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by RednaZ View Post
      I dunno too much about the american system but I always thought there was this 3 powers thing to keep everyone in check, this doesn't look much like there's 3, more like 1 amirite.
      Separation of power, (three branches of government legislative branch, executive branch, and judicial branch) works best when things like taking an oath and telling the truth are meaningful.

Comment

Clinton was a good man, that's the difference, who doesn't like blowjobs?
        Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
          Clinton was a good man, that's the difference, who doesn't like blowjobs?
          So lets say you had been called to testify in court, swore to tell the truth, but then made a conscience decision to protect someone by not naming them and instead you were willing to go to jail. There you sit, building time, having to bend over and pick up the soap in the jail shower. Only BJ on your mind is the one you are going to be forced to give to Bubba, your cell mate. Meanwhile someone else waltzes into court, lies under oath, and walks with no punishment.

Comment

since we are no longer talking about the massive shit bush stirs let me ask a realy important question: didnt clinton only get a lousy BJ without the chick even swallowing his load while he said he never had sex with her? so if i am not wrong(i didnt follow this useless crap so close) technically he wasnt lying.

Comment

so people in america get sent to jail for 2 years for giving alcohol to 16 year olds http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/mot...414139809.html but escape jail for lying under oath

even in britain millionaires such as Lord Archer get sent to jail for the later. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1424501.stm

Originally posted by Squeezer View Post
              Absolutely, without a doubt.

What will it take to impeach this guy? Clinton got a BJ and was removed, but at least he didn't start unnecessary wars and fill his administration with criminals.
              in the fucked up world of america getting a BJ is worse than the other two. even receiving a BJ is illegal in some states in america...

you guys need to sort out your justice system its fucked worse than ours.
              Last edited by Doc Flabby; 07-03-2007, 09:04 AM.
              Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
              Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

the best thing about a contempt of court charge is that it doesn't come with a standard sentence. For example if you tell a judge to come down from his pulpit and lick your nuts he'll throw you in jail for contempt of court, but as soon as you apologize (usually) he can revoke the sentence. The same goes with withholding information. Now perjury is another thing and that's what these guy's should go down for. I don't know why Clinton lied, but as far as I can tell there hasn't been a president since George Washington that didn't tell a lie
                .fffffffff_____
                .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                .fffffff\______/
                .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                .fffff\________/
                .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                .fff\__________/

Comment

Originally posted by Dameon Angell View Post
                  That's the keyword "Supposed" to be. We are supposed to be better than this, but we're not. Hold out til the next election, it's not too far away now.
                  Aren't you the guy who said "I'm going to vote for the devil I know over the devil I don't?" Yeah, that worked out.
                  Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd View Post
                    Aren't you the guy who said "I'm going to vote for the devil I know over the devil I don't?" Yeah, that worked out.
                    I follow the golden rule of "vote for the flabby"
                    Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                    Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Libby and Clinton both lied under oath...under the circumstances as to what the issue and questions that pertained to the lies is what amazes me. Clinton lied to save his marriage and avoid everyone knowing his bedroom antics. Libby lied and obstructed justice over Valerie Plame who was working for the CIA as an undercover agent involved in National Security.

Weigh the two, regardless of the crime itself that was committed and personally I think Libby should have got life imprisonment.

President Bush did one of the most important things he can possibly do as a president, show compassion and mercy for a criminal, and make it so that criminal does not have to serve his sentence in prison–a sentence imposed by a judge after an impartial jury of 12 convicted him.

Beyond showing his compassion and mercy for people, the President of the United States set an example for all the scumbag illegal immigrants who have been breaking our law. By making sure one of his corrupt buddies escaped jail, he showed the illegals that we respect the laws of this country. When you break a law, you have to pay the consequences. If you come here illegally, you have to pay the price.

If you violate federal law, lie to FBI agents and help cover up the fact that the Vice President violated federal law by revealing top-secret information, well, you have to pay the price. And if a jury of 12 honest people say you are guilty, and a federal judge that was appointed by President Bush sentences you to 2 1/2 years, well, you have to go free. After all, what kind of an example would we set by making convicted criminals go to jail? By making sure Scooter goes free, Bush sends a message: if you violate a law, you will get what you deserve.

President Bush was also right when he said that Libby’s prison sentence was “excessive.” Americans need to show a little mercy. Nevermind the fact that President Bush systematically executed as many people as he could in Texas to win elections. After all, most of those people were black or Mexican, they weren’t well-connected rich white people, so their punishment was by no means “excessive.” If a jury says you are guilty and a judge says you have to serve a sentence, then you have to take the punishment.

Doesn't this make you wonder why Bush didn't step in and commute Paris's sentance? When Bush thinks Libby's sentance was excessive, it makes me wonder...also opens the door for more investigation on this Idiot President.
                      Last edited by 404 Not Found; 07-03-2007, 12:38 PM.
                      May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

wow how can anyone seriously think that bush has the american people in mind anymore? not that i personally ever thought that he gave a shit about the american people, but i did think that he would care enough not to shit all over the american people by allowing a convicted government official off the hook for what would be considered a captial offense fifty years ago (if he did compromise national security - i haven't read too much into the details of the case)

in a similar case of the government working agaisnt it's people -

South Carolina State Treasurer Thomas Ravenell was recently charged with conspiracy to distribute less than 500g of cocaine. he was also charged with misapproiating funds. hmm let's put two and two together: money went missing and the treasurer's buying k's of coke...

however thousands of decent americans, albeit not the sons of congressmen, are sent to jail with maximum sentencing for buying and selling less than 28g of marijuana.

Where's the leniency there?
                        .fffffffff_____
                        .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                        .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                        .fffffff\______/
                        .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                        .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                        .fffff\________/
                        .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                        .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                        .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                        .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                        .fff\__________/

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
                          So lets say you had been called to testify in court, swore to tell the truth, but then made a conscience decision to protect someone by not naming them and instead you were willing to go to jail. There you sit, building time, having to bend over and pick up the soap in the jail shower. Only BJ on your mind is the one you are going to be forced to give to Bubba, your cell mate. Meanwhile someone else waltzes into court, lies under oath, and walks with no punishment.
                          Sure, they committed the same crime, but that doesn't equal the same punishment.

If you snag a chocolate from your local grocery store you won't get the same punishment as you'd get for stealing a car.

It comes down to severity of the crime you commit. Clinton lied to protect his personal sexlife, which is by far more reasonable than lying in a matter of national concern.

Personal vs national, tell me there isn't a difference.
                          Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
                            Except no federal jury ever found Clinton guilty for that particular crime (even if congress impeached him), with a judge sentencing him for 2 1/2 years in jail, and then had that revoked... there's a difference.
                            Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                            www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                            www.animeslice.com

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
                              Sure, they committed the same crime, but that doesn't equal the same punishment.

If you snag a chocolate from your local grocery store you won't get the same punishment as you'd get for stealing a car.
                              i get what you're saying but stealing chocolate from a grocery store and stealing a car are not the same crime. grand larceny may not be a felony but it is a much steeper charge than petit larceny
                              .fffffffff_____
                              .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                              .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                              .fffffff\______/
                              .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                              .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                              .fffff\________/
                              .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                              .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                              .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                              .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                              .fff\__________/

Comment

Originally posted by DankNuggets View Post
                                i get what you're saying but stealing chocolate from a grocery store and stealing a car are not the same crime. grand larceny may not be a felony but it is a much steeper charge than petit larceny
                                Stealing $25k worth of chocolate is the same as stealing $25k worth of car.

And Epi, I agree that there are differences, but in both directions. Libby was not the President of the US, the President of the US should be held to a higher standard. Not only in terms of a setting an example, but also in terms of the Executive branch not undermining one of the most basic tenets of the Judicial branch.

Comment

Working...
                                X