Top Picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Picks

As a way to improve my animations and storytelling, I need to look over and study some films that are top-notch in specific areas; atmosphere, pacing, suspense, character development, etc etc. What are some top picks, some top movies that seem to do something really well in your opinion?

Just to throw some out to get the brain bubbling, here are a few categories-

Best Atmosphere

Best Fight Choreography/ Action scenes

Best Character design

Most suspenseful

Best Actor/Actrice (j/k Gall :wub: )

and so on and so on

have at it~
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Only animations?

Comment

nah man

movies of any kind
      My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

The Shawshank Redemption has such a gloomy look to it, check it out, the characters start to become part of the background... I don't know where that fits in, but it definately warrants a good watch.
        There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Comment

Best Fight Choreography/ Action scenes:

Jackie Chan movies

Comment

Originally posted by iKillburger View Post
              I'd rather have personal opinions from posters than just some imdb chart

Comment

Best atmosphere: Big Fish or Amelie

Best fight choreography: Once Upon a Time in China and the Naruto series

Best character design: Pulp Fiction, the Naruto series and Cowboy Bebop

Best character developement: Neon Genesis Evangelion
                Regency> not in for dd lol
                Regency> would rather eat some cock ;<

Comment

Originally posted by Twerp View Post

Jackie Chan movies
                  Ong Bok and District 13 (the french parkour movie) both have better sequences. District 13 has the best foot chase sequence probably of any movie.

Comment

Jeez LB, way to create a topic that parallels what my fellow conceited film snobs discuss daily.

Anyway, since I'm feeling in a Modern Korean movie mode and I can't really name which movie has the best atmosphere of every movie I've seen, so I'm going to narrow my parameters a bit.

Best Atmosphere: A Tale of Two Sisters. I never once felt comfortable sitting through this movie. Some of the quotes, especially the, "You know what's scary..." line spoken by the step mom. Definitely a movie which uses choreography to set an eerie mood.

Best Fight Choreography/ Action scenes: Oldboy: Corridor fight scene. 'Nuff said.

Best Character design: Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. As the movie develops, it becomes very apparent that there are no black and white protagonists and antagonists. Only tragic characters suffering from causes outside of their control. In the end, you can't help but say, "My God I can see where they're both coming from."

Most suspenseful: The Host. EVERYBODY WATCH THIS MOVIE RIGHT NOW. I promise you will not be disappointed by this delightful monster flick which manages to pay homage to the greats like Godzilla and King Kong, while also bringing novel concepts to the table.

Bong Park-Ho's first film, Memories of Murder, is also a great example of suspense built perfectly.

Best Actor/Actrice: Kang Ho-Song. This guy is fucking awesome.
                    Originally posted by Tone
                    Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Oldboy definitely deserves the "WTF Award" ... who is crazy enough to come up with a movie like that? I disagree with the corridor scene though ... it was a little underwhelming for me since I had heard great things about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twerp View Post

Jackie Shan movies
                        Fixed!
                        (Paradise)>dj sage
                        (HELLZNO!)>is he good, ive never heard his music
                        1: Dynasty> LOL
                        1:vue> LOL
                        1:Cap> LOOL

Comment

turns out they're making a second ong bak

Comment

Originally posted by Sufficient View Post
                            Oldboy definitely deserves the "WTF Award" ... who is crazy enough to come up with a movie like that? I disagree with the corridor scene though ... it was a little underwhelming for me since I had heard great things about it.
                            Are you kidding? It's all one take. I can't imagine having to organize a shot like that.
                            Originally posted by Tone
                            Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Here are some short films I came across:

Batman Dead End - lighting, action

The Cathedral - you've probably seen this already

MORE - atmosphere, mood

The Ten Steps - suspense
                              Last edited by flibb; 07-21-2007, 07:25 PM. Reason: forgot one

Comment

Working...
                              X