No announcement yet.

Health Care 10.06.07 And The Pandora Prescription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is a community/society willing to pay for health care of those who can not afford it?

If it is 100%, does that imply that medical care becomes 100% 'equal'? Does a poor person receive the same cutting edge technological advances as a millionaire?

If it is 100%, what other mechanisms (other than current one of passing the cost through the insurance people) can be developed or used? (Thinking here that cutting out insurance companies/government from the middle and providing a more direct contribution from society straight to hospitals.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
      How much is a community/society willing to pay for health care of those who can not afford it?

If it is 100%, does that imply that medical care becomes 100% 'equal'? Does a poor person receive the same cutting edge technological advances as a millionaire?

If it is 100%, what other mechanisms (other than current one of passing the cost through the insurance people) can be developed or used? (Thinking here that cutting out insurance companies/government from the middle and providing a more direct contribution from society straight to hospitals.)
      Providing basic health care would be a start, as far as cutting edge technologies and surgeries go I don't think that can't be changed overnight but you could possibly have a free system that does offer surgery to people and a private system where people with money can pay for better treatment. If a service is being offered free to the people then these doctors and surgeons can't keep their prices so high, they will be forced to keep costs low and cut profits to keep the amount of business high. I believe this to be true because if a person needs open heart surgery and can get it done for $200,000 or get it done free with a longer wait time and probably not as good doctors/technology then that person would realistically choose the free surgery unless that person is made of money. Private doctors and surgeons will be losing money to this free system which causes a huge benefit to the people who can afford $20,000 for an open heart surgery.

There's always huge implications having a two tear system but American's would undoubtedly stand for being able to pay for better treatment if you had the money. Asking American's to adopt a completely free universal Health Care system is unrealistic. What I want to see is a start though, like I've said there needs to be some basic form of health care for everyone. Once people see the direct benefits of a free system they'll cling to it and it will prosper and grow over time and you'll start to see more things added into the coverage. Let's be honest insurance companies are a fucking joke and I wouldn't sleep easy knowing I'm still on one. I know you told me you're covered for 90% of your health needs, and I believe your wife is covered for a little less than yourself. So what I'm asking and what I've asked before is could you afford thousands and thousands of dollars of surgery since you and your wife aren't fully covered? What if the health insurance declines you for no apparent reason at all. These are things that I'd be thinking about all the time, it's not like I'm trying to scare you but personally I'd be worried.

Kolar actually told me something that makes a lot of sense 'Ryan, if you have a Universal Health care system it's almost impossible to get rid of it, the citizens wouldn't stand for it. But if you don't have a Universal Health Care system it's almost near to impossible to convince people to have one.'
      Last edited by Cops; 11-30-2007, 03:02 PM.
      it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Working...
      X