X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activision Blizzard!

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/35...zard-is-Formed

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071203/...ndi_activision

I don't know what to think about this. Blizzard has always been my favorite game developer. The warcraft/starcraft series is the best there ever was, and they made WoW, which is still the best game I've played today. I think I wasted something around 2 years on it.

I guess I've never liked the thought of them being a lesser part in a larger corporation. I guess I'm kinda scared of corporations that becomes too large. And when I've seen/noticed the Vivendi logo on anything but articles around anything Blizzard related, it just feels like I know nothing about them. When I don't know anything I'm not able to trust them either.

With Activision in the mix, they are even larger, and can add games like Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero III, Tony Hawk's Proving Ground, Shrek the Third and Transformers to the Vivendi portfolio.

What do you guys feel?

Edit: New source added.
    Last edited by Noah; 12-03-2007, 08:34 AM.
    Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

I think it should be called Blactivision. Or Activizzard. or Blizzavision.
    thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Just another thought:

From what I can remember, the price was 9,4 billion dollars to get 54% of the shares, and control. Somewhere around 8 billion dollars were funded by Vivendis game division. I'm pretty sure I'm not off when I say that most of those money is from Vivendis revenue from WoW. Those money were used to buy an entire respected developing company, which has released major titles recently, Call of Duty 4 and Guitar Hero 3.

Wow, this really shows how much World of Warcraft has dominted the world of gaming.

Edit: I see that the numbers differ from article to article. Even though the numbers may be different, the point remains. Just wanted to throw this in before anyone else did.
      Last edited by Noah; 12-03-2007, 10:58 AM.
      Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

It's because blizzard has long known how to convert video gaming into crack cocaine. I think it took a page out of subspace's book.

Originally posted by Noah View Post
        Just another thought:

From what I can remember, the price was 9,4 billion dollars to get 54% of the shares, and control. Somewhere around 8 billion dollars were funded by Vivendis game division. I'm pretty sure I'm not off when I say that most of those money is from Vivendis revenue from WoW. Those money were used to buy an entire respected developing company, which has released major titles recently, Call of Duty 4 and Guitar Hero 3.

Wow, this really shows how much World of Warcraft has dominted the world of gaming.

Edit: I see that the numbers differ from article to article. Even though the numbers may be different, the point remains. Just wanted to throw this in before anyone else did.
        -Dave

Comment

From what I can tell, it's Vivendi Games and Activision who have merged. Blizzard is a division of Vivendi Games, along with Sierra Entertainment.

Blizzard is responsible for StarCraft, Warcraft, WoW etc.

Sierra Entertainment is responsible for Half-Life, F.E.A.R., Homeworld, etc but also owns four studios, one of which is Massive Entertainment (World in Conflict)

Activision own several studios. Among them are people who are responsible for:
          Call of Duty series, Guitar Hero series, Project Gotham Racing series, Tony Hawk's series, etc etc

So yeah, this is a pretty big merger in the Gaming Industry and I guess probably makes the new company (Activision Blizzard is the new name apparently) the largest publisher/developer of third party games (I am guessing EA is the only other competitor).
          USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
          ---A few minutes later---
          9:cool koen> you scorereseted
          9:Kim> UM
          9:Kim> i didn't
          9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
          9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
          9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
          9:pascone> lol?

Comment

EA was that big company that people thought would kill gaming, because of the lack of competition. I'm glad Activision stepped up to the plate and now it looks like we got a 2 horse race on our hands here. Close competition will lead to better games on both parts.

Also, if you're concerned for the Star/Warcraft games, or the other Blizzard IPs, the games will still be released under the name "Blizzard". No changes of logos or anything of that matter.
            DELETED

Comment

Woah... big merger right here...

lol crazy changes!
              AcidBomber <ER> ^-^

Comment

check the updated news, they decided not to buy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071203/ap_en_bu/vivendi_declines
                Last edited by ignite ignite; 12-03-2007, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
                  Just another thought:

From what I can remember, the price was 9,4 billion dollars to get 54% of the shares, and control. Somewhere around 8 billion dollars were funded by Vivendis game division. I'm pretty sure I'm not off when I say that most of those money is from Vivendis revenue from WoW.
                  Roughly 9 million subscribers at $15 a month = $405 million in subscriber revenue for a quarter.

Quarterly Net Revenue (revenue less production costs) = $320 million

Quarterly Net Income = -$9 million

$18.8 billion for a company running a net loss seems a bit much but I guess they are planning to fire a bunch of people and cut down on costs.

I just hope they get their asses working on Diablo 3!

Comment

Originally posted by ignite ignite View Post
                    check the updated news, they decided not to buy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071203/ap_en_bu/vivendi_declines
                    omg that link was sneaky and underhanded, but to be expected from the cap of puma.
                    thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Working...
                    X