Concerta/Adderall and paper writing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerta/Adderall and paper writing.

This is what I think of at 2 AM for a paper due at 9AM.
    The latter circles of Hell hold much different characters than the beginning layers. Dante’s Hell works on a progressing scale where the harsher crimes are, respectively, more cruelly punished. Most of these crimes are ones of obvious choice and wrongfulness. There is one final, disturbing, account to observe. This is story is that of Count Ugolino. In 1284, Ugolino had become the “tyrannical master of Pisa”. After successfully defending Pisa from the attacking Genoa, the Count began to aggravate and argue with his allies, ultimately leading to him being convicted of treason by the Archbishop Ruggieri degli Ubaldini. His punishment, in the physical world, was that he was locked in a room in a castle with his two sons to starve to death. (Encyclopædia Britannica, “Gherardesca family”)
    After his death, Dante places him in the final, ninth Circle of Hell, not far removed from the great Satan himself. In Canto XXXIII, Ugolino is found gnawing on the skull of the very Archbishop that sentenced him to death, freezing in the ghastly cold that is the Ninth Circle. Soonafter, he tells his tale of how he landed so deep in Hell, starting from his sentencing. He describes the days and his sons’ cries for help and of hunger. He then describes watching each one of his sons die before him, eventually coming to a point he “…started groping over each; / and after they were dead, I called them for / two days; then fasting had more force than grief." (Canto XXXIII, 72-75) This is how the telling of the story ends, but Dante’s genius writing leaves us with the idea that the Count gave in to the forces of hunger through the use of foreshadowing previously in the passage. At one point, Ugolino tells Dante that his sons had said, “…Father, / it would be far less painful for us if you / ate of us; for you clothed us in this / sad flesh – it is for you to strip it off.” (Canto XXXIII, 59-62)
    This crime is sickening in its own right, but it brings along with it an extremely interesting point. This man was ravaged by hunger, a feeling that most of humanity can relate to in some manner. Obviously Ugolino had experienced this feeling to an extreme extent – where he was “now blind” with hunger. One cannot honestly say that this action comes out of free will, as his primal instincts kicked in. All of humanity may find this act reprehensible, but very few people have come to a situation where they have been as wretchedly hungry as he was. Ugolino acted out of his purest and most primal of emotions, much like those who came before him in the earlier levels of Hell. What is the difference between being caught up in a moment of passion and love and a moment of fear and extreme hunger? Both parties act not based on rational thinking, which they both obviously possessed previous to this circumstance, but on pleasure principles. Ugolino was doing what he needed to do to survive, and as disturbing as that is to just about anyone reading, he did not choose to do so in any fashion.

DISCUSS EATING YOUR OWN CHILDREN IN ORDER TO SURVIVE AS AN ABSENCE OF FREE WILL.
    Originally posted by Jeenyuss
    sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

There is no such thing as free will, or at least it's very limited.
    You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Originally posted by Zerzera View Post
      Did I accidentally fall into my first day of college again?
      Originally posted by Tone
      Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

No Wikipedia Quotes = No Win
        "... I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep." -R. Frost

Comment

Originally posted by Singularity View Post
          Citing Wikipedia = INSTA-FAIL
          sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by DoTheFandango View Post
            Yes, you should cite the sources wikipedia cites instead.

EDIT: I put it in Microsoft Comic sans for the irony.

Comment

exactly.

Comment

timothy, nooooooooooooo

Trapped in a mine that had caved in
                And everyone knows the only ones left
                Were Joe and me and Tim
                When they broke through to pull us free
                The only ones left to tell the tale
                Were Joe and me

Timothy, Timothy, where on earth did you go?
                Timothy, Timothy, God why don't I know?

Hungry as hell no food to eat
                And Joe said that he would sell his soul
                For just a piece of meat
                Water enough to drink for two
                And Joe said to me, "I'll have a swig
                And then there's some for you."

Timothy, Timothy, Joe was looking at you
                Timothy, Timothy, God what did we do?

I must have blacked out just around then
                'Cause the very next thing that I could see
                Was the light of the day again
                My stomach was full as it could be
                And nobody ever got around
                To finding Timothy
                Timothy...

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

A contradiction seems to be in play here; Dante states that the Heavens are responsible for some of our actions or quests, but not all of them, and that we have the ultimate choice of good or bad. How, exactly, is this free will? If an item is marked as free in a store, yet you had to pay a fee in order to enter the store in the first place, is the item actually free? It is this question and problem that drives the discussion in the instances outlined in this essay.

hmm?

Comment

Originally posted by Singularity View Post
                    Originally posted by DoTheFandango View Post
                    true that, my freshman year of high school I did that and no one told me about it, and the next thing I know I got a hefty F for my paper (bitch)... I learned my lesson....

teachers are fucktards
                    sigpic
                    All good things must come to an end.

Comment

the mere fact of human action disproves the notion of there not being free will
                      NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

must be taking the recommended dosage
                        :confused: Are human fat?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
                          the mere fact of human action disproves the notion of there not being free will
                          I just wrote an essay as reply, but I decided not to post it. I think it's more interesting this way;

So we are free to choose, does that mean we have free will?

Comment

I just wrote an essay as reply, but I decided not to post it. I think it's more interesting this way;

So we are free to choose, does that mean we have free will?
                            human action is purposeful behavior that can be broken down into several stages and factors. at the point where a decision is made, the actor makes a choice to pursue a means that will, ceteris paribus, achieve an end sometime in the future.

all actors make these choices given the presently available means. his environment can be broken down into two general types: "general conditions" (that which man believes he cannot control and must leave unchanged), and "means" - that which he alters or believes he can alter.

if no man could change his future, they would not act. action negates the possibility of "fate".

one can argue that a man who is enslaved truly has no "free will", but that isn't true - he is merely acting in an environment that he (believes) he cannot change.
                            NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Needs more concerta
                              Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                              www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                              www.animeslice.com

Comment

Working...
                              X