Best all time PC Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best all time PC Games

Im looking for a new PC game to buy, i had a similiar post about this earlier but didnt get excatly what i was looking for so im going to be more specific. Besides WoW and Diablo, what are some of the best RPG / Strategy games for the PC?
    5:Melanoma> so I kinda cheated on my gf yesterday
    5:Melanoma> but I was drunk so it doesnt count right
    5:Oops> doesnt count if ur sober just so long as u dont get caught
    5:Melanoma> aight cool
    5:Melanoma> + it was with a dude
    5:Oops> what?
    5:Melanoma> ye
    5:Oops> you serious?
    5:Melanoma> innocent kissing
    5:Melanoma> fu
    5:Melanoma> I WAS DRUNK
    5:squallFF8> this is akward

Originally posted by Strategy Games

I've been playing World in Conflict, a RTS game by Sierra and Massive Entertainment. It's a pretty sick "What if the Cold War didn't end when it did, but rather the Soviets invaded Europe and the USA?" Really cool "Red Dawn" esque game.

I just bought Civilization 4 from 2K Games. In my opinion, it's insanely difficult and the combat is asinine at best. But, for every one of me, I know 5 other people who love it. So, I dunno.

Company of Heroes from Relic is another World War 2 game. Yes, I know. But, this RTS really takes it to the next level with great micromanagement options and RPG elements. You really feel you're in the fight in this well made RTS.

If you like Company of Heroes, you'd probably like Warhammer 20k: Dawn of War, and its expansions. Also developed by Relic, this game uses the same engine as Company of Heroes so you won't feel too far off from what you need to do. But instead of Axis and Allies, you get like 5, very different races to choose from to plot your global domination. This is really like a 3D Starcraft, in my opinion. Space Marines, High Eldar Technology, Orcish Aliens, some Necromancer Race. Crazy shit.

Command and Conquer 3 is a classic game in modern clothes. Not much as changed since the 90's with this title, but you don't really fix what isn't broken. Some people will laugh at how "basic" it is, compared to other RTS titles out today, but what will grab you is it's Single Player campaign full of cheezy live action FMV sequences between missions with stars such as: Michael Ironside, Grace Park, Trisha Helfer, Josh Holloway, and Colt 45, Billy Dee Williams. And, of course, Kane himself returns in all his glory. Peace through power.

Supreme Commander.... apparently this is the make yourself cum your pants RTS, but I found it generically boring. You can zoom out a far as you want and in as close as you want, though .. which is cool. Or if you have 2 monitors you can use one monitor as a big overhead map and the other as you tactically do your thing. Besides that, I don't see the big deal.

The Total War series is always fun for setting up your lines of pikemen and brigades of horse archers and taking on generals and their battle lines. The graphics aren't great, but you really feel like you're controlling a huge ass [insert era here] army.
    Originally posted by RPG Games

Maple Story is a so cute you'll puke on your keyboard hack n slash MMO RPG full of hackers, Chinese gold farmers, and kids to curse at you. It's almost like Trench Wars, minus the gold. Also free, you just pay for clothes.

Guild Wars is the biggest competition to World of Warcraft. No monthly fee, you just pay for the expansion packs, for which there are 3. Each "expansion" is its own standalone title, yet they all interconnect with your characters and allow you to go anywhere. The missions are all heavily scripted which give you a greater sense of entertainment over "kill 50 boars and return to me". If there is a game considered a "WoW Killer", this is it.

Final Fantasy 7, you can buy it for $5, used on your PC. Hell, I'd play it again for shits and giggles. Get ready for the remake on the PS3.
    I'm really grasping for straws on that last one, huh? Yeah, not many good RPGs out for the PC these days that aren't "$15/month" MMOs, eh?
    DELETED

Comment

RPG:
      - Baldur's Gate trilogy (classic medieval/fantasy rpg)
      - Morrowind (if you don't know morrowind, how did you post on the internet)
      - Knight of the Old Republic (if you are into star wars this is great)
      - Neverwinter nights (DnD 3rd edition, medieval/fantasy rpg, good if you dont like parties)
      - Planescape Torment (great story, sigil setting of DnD)
      - Gothic 2&3 (not as accesible, yet if you are into diehard rpg, take a look)
      - Fallout (classic turnbased survival RPG)

The order I put them in is also my ranking. These I would consider the best rpg of the last 10 years or so, unless I forgot a few.
      Last edited by Singularity; 03-03-2008, 07:06 AM.
      "... I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep." -R. Frost

Comment

I see Dameon Angell is here already (not a suprise), and he is without doubt already writing a post. So in the event of me being first: Hah, I beat you, old man.

You are asking a pretty broad question. All time best RPG or best strategy? Some of the games that would fall under this category could already be too old to consider buying them today. I'm going to answer on what is out today.

Age of Conan is going to be released in not too long, and that game is going to kick so much ass that you have to wear iron pants while playing it. I've tested it some in the beta, and it went beyond my expectations. I can't go in detail due to the NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement).

As for strategy game, I can recommend Sins of a Solar Empire. This is a 4x strategy/RTS game that is very polished. You fight for the control of several planets, and ultimatly utter control of the galaxy. There is a very distinct line between the military and civilan part of the game, and that adds diversety. You got capital ships to lead your military into battle, and many ships has abilities that can turn a battle. The game has a very seamless interface, and lets you scroll in and out of the different area with your scroll pad, like Supreme Commander.

I haven't played many of the new RPGs today, so I can't really tell you much about that. However, I tested Mythos a while ago, and it's a very nice clone of Diablo, and not a Diablo clone in a bad way.

As for one of the best strategy games of all time? Civilzation!
        Best RPG of all time is Final Fantasy 7, without a shred of doubt.

Edit: I saw that I were right about Dameon, and I'm just going to agree with Company of Heroes.
        Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

No, I beat you, son.
          DELETED

Comment

Yeah, I expected so, you got a headstart.

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Planescape: Torment is one of my all-time favorites. It's dated, but one of the best RPG experiences out there in terms of story, characters, and fun factor. The graphics are like Fallout 2, but the game itself plays very much like NWN (quest tracking, etc).

Only downside is that the game really shows its age. But imo it's nevertheless the best PC rpg out there.
              TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
              TelCat> hoes get paid :(
              TelCat> i dont

Comment

Medieval II Total War

Its not the same as wow or diablo and its not exactly a RPG but its similar and very very good.

Comment

Knights of the Old Republic I and II

I can never tell which one I like better. After I play through one, I like that one better, but when I play through two I like that one better. It would be a good buy with either of those two.

Comment

There's a game that is said to be "diablo 3", is free to download and no monthly subscriptions. This game is called Dungeon Runners. It's an MMORPG gaining more popularity. This game has a unique way of playing. You can set the instance (or, dungeon, if you will) difficulty and the loot threshold to your liking. If you don't feel like grouping, the difficulty is brought down a notch when you enter by yourself so it's completely soloable. There is also a unique PVP quality about this game. You can connect to a different server with your character and start kicking ass in the PVP dungeon.

Highly recommended. The game's mechanics are very very unique. The descriptions for most items and spells are incredibly hilarious, and it's just there for your entertainment purposes. It's a great game to play when you have nothing to do. I enjoy playing this over continuum any day

Enjoy!

Comment

runescape (sarcasm)
                      Call me Hadoken cus' Im down right FIERCE

Comment

Flyff
                        (RoboHelp)>This message has been sent by Left_Eye:
                        (RoboHelp)>TW Staff are looking for players who play regulary and are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and who
                        (RoboHelp)>show a desire to improving the zone. If you are interested in joining TW Staff, e-mail
                        (RoboHelp)>TWStaff@gmail.com
                        (RoboHelp)>If you have any other questions regarding this issue, please use :Left_Eye:<Message>.

Comment

#distension

Comment

Puzzle Quest!

I'm not sure what platform that screenshot is from, but the PC version looks even better. It's a puzzlegame built in a rpg. This may be the only game I've beaten, and done everything possible in, and continued playing just to keep lining those damn symbols.

88/100

Comment

i'm kind of older so...yeah...

command and conquer (the very first one with stealth tanks and ion cannons)
                              warcraft 2
                              diablo
                              ultima online (although it consumed a full 1 and a half of my life and the lag on my superior 28.8 connection was always borderline intolerable)
                              doom 1/2/3
                              duke nukem 3d
                              PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

Working...
                              X