Photo Assignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Assignment

So i have to write up a proposal for my photography final tonight, and i have absolutely no idea what to do. The Assignment is fairly wide open--we have to turn in a series of at least 10 prints that relate to each other visually in some way (so it can be a sequence, theme, technique, etc...). I want to do something decidedly not cliche, but am not sure what yet. Ideas are welcome-i know that about half of you are at least somewhat creative, and the other half can kindly stay the fuck out.

You could do something like, set out a route (for instance from your place to school), and try to capture that route in photographs, only not the standard odd looking building or whatever, but trying to find those things you normally don't even notice are there when you walk/cycle/drive by.

And of course done in nice compositions and stuff.
    Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

To avoid doing something cliche, stay away from black and white pictures of people walking, eating ice cream, birds flying or anything along those lines. The suggestions that follow should also be taken from as many different angles as possible, to keep things fresh and lively.

You could go for specific moods, like happiness or frustration. Capture 10 different people experiencing the same emotion, or how different people look doing the same thing (blowing bubbles, hailing a taxi, etc etc).

Capture 10 shots of somebody completely oblivious to their surroundings and totally caught up in the moment- someone dancing like crazy, playing a musical instrument, tap dancing, balancing items, juggling, etc etc. Then give the seperate images different color washes, special effects (blurs, etc) to further enhance or focus on some part of the picture.

I might think of more but those are the two I just came up with.
      My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Take pictures from as high as you can get vertically, to as low sub vertically. Once in these places photograph interesting things (do your own style) and put them all together to form a huge perspective.

edit: to clairfy, I mean from varying heights in varying places. Climb a skyscraper, or go to a hill overlooking something. Then travel to the base of the concrete jungle. Just an idea.
        Originally posted by Tone
        Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Go to a house party, make a photo every hour. Use washes and effects to increase the chaos that will be more apparant every hour.
          "... I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep." -R. Frost

Comment

thanks for the suggestions. Actually, a lot of what you're bringing up has already been incorporated in previous assignments. Thats part of the reason its hard for me to come up with something original. I ended up writing that i was just going to do it on the fly and listed off some new processes i wanted to experiment with. Hopefully he'll buy it--you can get away with basically whatever the hell you want in art school

Comment

Just say you plan to take 50.000 pictures, pick the 10 you like best and find out what they have in common.
              You ate some priest porridge

Comment

ive sween one of these before that was neat, but probably cliche.

it was a guy playing pool wiht himself many times over.

he set up his camera on a tripod in one corner of the room we had the pool table. then he took different pictures from that same spot of him taking shots and standing along the side thinkign and everyhting to make the entire rrom from the vantage of the camera. then he put them all on a board at the same time so it looks like a giant picture with lots of him in it playing pool with himself several times over in our gameroom.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Working...
                X