Age of Conan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of Conan!

Since I've had several people asking me how Age of Conan was, and if it was worth buying at release, I thought I'd make a info thread about the game.

I loved the game when I started to play it at the beta at first, but after some more testing I thought that there was too many serious issues with the game for it to ever become good. I was pretty sure that Age of Conan would end up like another Hellgate: London. However, Funcom kicked it into a new gear after prior to the release, and did more to the game than I thought was possible. I decided to buy the game and try it, and so far I've played a necromancer up to level 30. My old WoW guild went into Age of Conan, so I've gotten to look at the resource gathering and guild town features as well.

The starting area of the game, Tortage, goes from level 1 to 20, and takes about 6-10 hours to complete. The story there is great, and every NPC has voice acting. You have tons of generic NPC quests in this area, and the quests are much better than any (MMO)RPG I've played so far. You get some good indicators on your map/minimap on where the quest objectives are, and NPCs related to quests shows up as well. You also get destiny quests to follow, which serves as the main storyline of the game. When you take the destiny quests you go into nightmode, which is a singleplayer mode, so you can follow the story without being bothered by other players. It's a very good setup, which allows you to mix your destiny quests and the normal quests as you wish. You can at any time switch between day and night. I enjoyed this so much that the game had already gotten its money worth when I completed it.

When you are done, you end up in the homeland of the race you picked, and from there you can travel freely around. They removed the voiceacting from the normal NPCs, as well as the night mode to follow your destiny quests after the starting area, but it doesn't really make an negative inpact on the game. Everything is done in the traditional multiplayer sense of a MMO from this point on. So far I've liked all the cities and all of the zones. They are large and beautiful, have good quests, and have interesting content.

The resource gathering is somewhat similar to WoW. There are resource nodes that you need to click to collect resources. The upside here is that the nodes are always visible, but they have a HP bar that gets drained when you collect from it. When it reaches around 10%, it is depleted, and you have to wait for it to recharge. You actually have gathering zones to go to as well, which has much more concentrated resources than you find in regular zones. This is a nice twist that takes some of the traditional resource farming snorefest much better. You can actually have all the professions in the game at once!

The social aspect of the game is unfortunately very flawed. The chat looks horrible, the chat commands is a pain in the ass to use, and the GUI for your friend/guild list is ugly and small at best. I can't really think of any positive to say about it at all. Players in your guild is even attackable at any time, which allows the standard annoying crowd in your guild to be even more annoying. This feels more like a bug than something that is intended though.

Yesterday, my guild expanded its city to add class buildings and tradeskill buildings. Overall it was a cool thing to be a part of, but it still needs major work before it becomes as awesome as the concept is. There is nothing in the game at all to coordinate guild resources, so everyone had to trade officers in turn to deliver the massive amounts of resources needed to construct our city. This is a messy and boring way of doing it, as it takes time for many players to find the officer and to give the resources needed. You can only trade with one player at the time, meaning that everyone has to hand it over to him in turns. After waiting about 30 minutes, our architect had finally gotten the materials he needed to start building!

Click here for a screenshot of us watching a building getting built! (Large image)
    Note: The DirectX 10 in the game isn't working properly yet, so the viewing distance looks screwed. This is amplified with the visual bugs in this zone.

After 1 hour of waiting total, and spending everything everyone in the guild had on these buildings, we found out that they are bugged, and does NOTHING at all at this point. They are supposed to give everyone in the guild some permanent buffs, which are increased for each level we upgrade the buildings.

Overally, the classes, feats (character specialization), and spells/combos are very imbalanced. This needs some major overhaul, fast. Example: My nercomancer got a new rank of a spell at level 30, which increased the damage of the spell with less than 1%, and increased the casting cost by 120%. This hugely affects the PvP aspect of the game, and is the most serious issue this game has at the moment. The graphics looks very, very nice most of the time, except the one visually bugged gathering zone I went to.

Summary:
    Pros:
    • Good graphics.
    • By far the best questing I've done in any game.
    • Cool animations on spells/combos.
    • Little bugs with the general questing and solo play.
    • Profession system is very good.
    • Virtually no issues with the servers at all.

Cons:
    • Horrible game balance.
    • Huge bugs in every major guild feature in the game.
    • The UI isn't very good.
    • Guild/chat/friend interface is awkward and ugly.
    • Lacks dungeons and PvE content outside endgame.
    • You run out of quests at level ~50!
    • Everyone looks similar, very few skins ingame.

This game was worth its money by far, but it needs some very, very hard work from Funcom to reach its potential. This is a MMORPG I want to stick with if they manage to sort out the worst of the cons within a reasonable amount of time.

Edit: I have to add this. There are lots of nice tits in the game! Made my first female character now, and I can't bring myself to wear a chest item!

Click here to look at my character, Freeride!
    The map on that picture also displays what I love about the questing. You always know where to go.
    Last edited by Noah; 05-27-2008, 04:46 AM.
    Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

The idea of having your own town sounds pretty cool. Can non-guild people go there? is it raidable? and how is the PvP in general?
    The idea's behind it all seem awesome cool (altough it seems like it needs some more work) so who knows.. I might just check it out if I get my new pc + some more free time

untill then just give just Nothern Alliance nubcakes my greetings
    2:Cig Smoke> why u challengin me to a duel
    2:Cig Smoke> When i clearly am better
    2:Miksel> becouse you think you great
    2:Cig Smoke> how many titles have u won
    2:Cig Smoke> im guessin 0
    2:Cig Smoke> thdx
    2:Miksel> elim 3
    2:Cig Smoke> lol elim
    2:Morgane> LOL
    2:Enflame> haha
    2:Cig Smoke> IM TALKIN ABOUT TWL

Comment

I'm not too sure about this, but this is what I think it's planned to end up with. The cities are built in the gathering zones, and several guilds can have a city in the same zone. These cities are not the same as the PvP battlekeeps, they are more like tradestations. Eventually you'll have several guild cities in the same zone instances, and players can choose where to take their business. This aspect of the game is broken at the moment, and it lacks good information about how it's going to pan out. I'll answer this again when this actually becomes clear.

There are only 7 or 9 (can't remember) spots for battlekeeps on each server. These are the towns that are siegeable, and there are some clear benefits in having them for the guilds that can keep it. Not sure what that is though. I think it will work like when the attackers go there and prepares to siege, the defending guild will get a message saying "in X hours, you need to go defend your keep". Again, I don't have clear answers here, nobody has. It's starting to look like a messy soup already.

As I said in OP, the PvP is hugely affected by the ridiculous imbalances between classes, between the power of the spells of the different classes, and the power of the fears. Also, it seems like in 90% of the cases, those who makes the jump wins within 20 seconds. Stuff like snares and roots doesn't really work well, so PvP is more of a hp/dps contest than actual skilled player fighting. One interesting thing is that every class has stealth, and everyone seems to go out of combat quickly.

Best way to describe this is to tell you about a bad experience I had with a overpowered class, the ranger. He was about 5 levels lower than me, and popped out of stealth with some insane ranged attacks inside a quest hub. I died in about 5 seconds. When I ressed I went to look for him, and when I finally found him he just sprinted as far away from me as possible, and then he got to use stealth. My pets is bugged, so they keep following and attacking a target even if they are in stealth, but they only get misses. Even when I stood right on the spot my pets were attacking, and used stealth detection, I couldn't see the ranger. 5 fucking levels below me. At the moment it's worse than what the PvP in WoW was before they introduced the honor system.

Sadly, I think there are way, way too much about this game that needs to be fixed. Everything is broken except basic solo questing, which is the only really good thing about the game. Farming for professions has always been boring, and even with this good system, it's still farming.

When this adds to the already painfully long list of failed MMORPGs, I'm starting to fear for the genre itself. Nobody seems to have the time and money to actually finish the games before they are released. :crying:

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Game balance is something even Blizzard fails at time and again for both WoW and Diablo 2. They only make up for it by rotating which classes are over powered, which can be even more aggravating because it's tough to plan out a character. Here is what I look for in an MMORPG and the games I've played that best excelled in each area:

Crafting: Ultima Online
        Loot System: Asherons Call
        Group Play: World of Warcraft
        Solo Play: Asherons Call
        Quests: World of Warcraft
        Community: Rubies of Eventide (little known free to play MMO)

I've also played Everquest and Star Wars Galaxies.

Comment

Blizzard is still over 9000 times better than any other on the list when it comes to balance. Look at every game from Warcraft up to World of Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo. Each of these games are on the top of the list when it comes to balance.

I do know that there's no thing as perfect balance in any game, but Blizzard is as close as it's possible to get. Starcraft 2 is the release I'm the most excited about at the moment, and a part of the reason for that is that I know that even at release the balance will be very good. It just goes to show that they manage to balance everything as good as it comes in every genre they made games in. I can't think of either a (MMO)RPG or a RTS game that has overally better balance than a Blizzard game, atleast not a game that is on the same scale.

WoW still has some imbalances, but the difference really isn't that huge. You are right when you say that they rotate which entity is the most powerful one. I think this is the best way of doing it too, since it isn't possible to make the balance perfect.

Game balance is one of the most important aspects of a game, and when a game fails at this point, it usually breaks a game alone. I know that I can't expect much balance at a MMO release, but I can expect some balance. Age of Conan failed horribly here, in every way you can look for balance. This is paired up with way too many bugs and straight out missing features. It's just so much work needed to be put into the game that I can't imagine that they can pull off getting it done before it's too late. The hack'n'slash mmorpg Hellgate: London failed because of the same thing. The release got rushed, and when it came it had too many errors to be fixed in time before players left again.

(I wonder how many has clicked this thread and thought tl;dr).

Comment

Thought that I could add another thing about Age of Conan that is epic fail.

Somewhere around level 45-55, you'll run out of quests to do. There simply isn't enough quests for you to ding 80 just by doing them. The two other ways to get experience is to do dungeons (there are very few of these, also I've seen many complain about the dungeons being full of flaws), or to just keep killing mobs over and over to get the experience you get from killing single mobs.

I'd rather want to stab myself in the eye than to grind 50-100 hours, just killing random mobs over and over.

The reasons why there are so many saying that the launch has been successful is that most of them haven't completed Tortage yet, and that the servers has actually been very good so far. If the game had only been Tortage, and nothing else, I'd agree that this launch was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
              Blizzard is still over 9000 times better than any other on the list when it comes to balance. Look at every game from Warcraft up to World of Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo. Each of these games are on the top of the list when it comes to balance.

I do know that there's no thing as perfect balance in any game, but Blizzard is as close as it's possible to get. Starcraft 2 is the release I'm the most excited about at the moment, and a part of the reason for that is that I know that even at release the balance will be very good. It just goes to show that they manage to balance everything as good as it comes in every genre they made games in. I can't think of either a (MMO)RPG or a RTS game that has overally better balance than a Blizzard game, atleast not a game that is on the same scale.

WoW still has some imbalances, but the difference really isn't that huge. You are right when you say that they rotate which entity is the most powerful one. I think this is the best way of doing it too, since it isn't possible to make the balance perfect.

Game balance is one of the most important aspects of a game, and when a game fails at this point, it usually breaks a game alone. I know that I can't expect much balance at a MMO release, but I can expect some balance. Age of Conan failed horribly here, in every way you can look for balance. This is paired up with way too many bugs and straight out missing features. It's just so much work needed to be put into the game that I can't imagine that they can pull off getting it done before it's too late. The hack'n'slash mmorpg Hellgate: London failed because of the same thing. The release got rushed, and when it came it had too many errors to be fixed in time before players left again.

(I wonder how many has clicked this thread and thought tl;dr).
              I should have mentioned in my post that no MMORPG I have ever played has been completely successful in implementing balance between classes. I do give Blizzard credit for rotating the imblance because at least after 2 years bear-form druids are a viable option. I still keep up to date with WoW because my manager and little brother both play. There is no perfect MMORPG because you always have to sacriface one area to improve another. Overall, WoW was the best MMORPG I've ever played but I hope other developers continue to challenge it for the good of all gamers.

Comment

Agreed, they are the ones I rely on to carry the torch into the next successful step in the MMORPG genre. There has been so many MMORPGs that has failed since WoW, that they are the only ones I know can make a better game. I do want them to get competition, but I don't know if anyone can deliver such quality in every aspect. I'm 90% sure that AoC is going down the crapper, and there hasn't been any signs from Warhammer Online saying that it will be different from the rest of the failures.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric is God View Post
                  Game balance is something even Blizzard fails at time and again for both WoW and Diablo 2. They only make up for it by rotating which classes are over powered, which can be even more aggravating because it's tough to plan out a character. Here is what I look for in an MMORPG and the games I've played that best excelled in each area:

Owning your own town: Shadowbane
                  sigpic

1:Shaun> if my girlfriend had a dick
                  1:Shaun> mmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Eric is God View Post

I still play AC to this day.. I think PvP should belong to AC as well. The dynamics are just so unique... it actually requires movement skills to dodge spells and arrows and stuff. Quests are so in-depth and about 80% of them link in to the storyline, or some part of it. It DEFINITELY isn't your average "kill x amount of x and come back to do it again" type of game. Oh, and the monsters... oh my goodness, you'll never see one of them or any lookalikes in any other game on this planet.. every single one is unique in AC.

ofcourse, maybe you've realized i play on darktide.. heh..

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlan View Post
                      Owning your own town: Shadowbane
                      You can own your own town in Asheron's Call, too. Not on a nameplate or anything, but your guild can literally raid a town and kill everyone, and announce it as yours unofficially.

Same thing with dungeons, the best XP/hour rates are usually owned by the best guild on the server. If someone from a different guild comes in, 3-10 of the people who own the dungeon pop in to kill ya =) Thus, guild WARS comes in to play. Guild vs. Guild in a free-for-all dungeon.

dungeons aren't instanced like in WoW, anybody can come into a dungeon and meet up with a friend whether ur grouped or not.

My fav by FAR!

Comment

i'm not actually reading all this, i'm just petitioning for another screenshot of that amazon chick

Comment

Originally posted by Xog View Post
                          I still play AC to this day.. I think PvP should belong to AC as well. The dynamics are just so unique... it actually requires movement skills to dodge spells and arrows and stuff. Quests are so in-depth and about 80% of them link in to the storyline, or some part of it. It DEFINITELY isn't your average "kill x amount of x and come back to do it again" type of game. Oh, and the monsters... oh my goodness, you'll never see one of them or any lookalikes in any other game on this planet.. every single one is unique in AC.

ofcourse, maybe you've realized i play on darktide.. heh..
                          Keep in mind I stopped playing shortly before they added "hilting" to swords and daggers, which was back in late 2000 I think. I played on FrostFell and my main was a dagger/life/item character (ahh good old Gert's dagger for starting chars) around level 51 I believe. I was probably one of the most well known traders on the server and had a huge stock pile of trade items including something like 200 sturdy iron keys, 100 motes, 100 shards, 2 Hoary Mat robes etc... I sold my account to two of my vassals for $1,200 and the only reason I quit was because my university grades were plummeting.

I still remember setting my alarm clock for 5 am because I wanted to kill that lich every 6 hours to obtain the keys that gave you 4 uses on the treasure chests in the portal behind him (3 Towers quest I believe). Oh how I loved to spend 2 hours opening those chests after saving up a week's worth of keys then running at 0.001 MPH to that desert town to sell everything.

I think I just had a nerdgasm...

Comment

Originally posted by Xog View Post
                            You can own your own town in Asheron's Call, too. Not on a nameplate or anything, but your guild can literally raid a town and kill everyone, and announce it as yours unofficially.

Same thing with dungeons, the best XP/hour rates are usually owned by the best guild on the server. If someone from a different guild comes in, 3-10 of the people who own the dungeon pop in to kill ya =) Thus, guild WARS comes in to play. Guild vs. Guild in a free-for-all dungeon.

dungeons aren't instanced like in WoW, anybody can come into a dungeon and meet up with a friend whether ur grouped or not.

My fav by FAR!
                            Tusker farming was so boring! No loot and you were constantly trying to get the first hit on them without pulling too many. At least Olthoi dropped sturdy iron keys and fighting swarms of them was fun. What I loved about AC the most was you could farm great mobs like Umbra Shadows or those insanely hard Banderlings without having another player within 5 miles of you. Of course running places took forever and I'd usually turn on auto run for 20 min and hope I didn't run off the side of a cliff since finding your body was a huge pain.

Comment

Thanks for the in depth review/game experience/whatever of AoC Noah. I had a feeling that their "revolutionary" fighting system would be their achilles heel.
                              DuelBot> You have defeated 'nessy' score: (20-11)
                              Nessy> i left for 3 years clean
                              Nessy> came back got on rampage, won twl, #1 in elim for 3 weeks, not even tryin, gg

1:King Baba> i know my name is King Baba, but you can call me Poseidon

I Luv Cook> I'll double penetrate your ass:/

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

Broaden your horizons, read my blog:
                              -> http://foldhesten.mybrute.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X