Switching Majors... what should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Izor View Post
    but I guarantee you I know how to get ahead better than you. I will be making no less than 65k in 5 years, which is more than enough for me
    really, because I'm not asking a forum what job prospects are better at the moment.
    it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Originally posted by DankNuggets View Post
      i just graduated w/a BS in civil eng.
      DN....just curious on the Civil Engineering job, do you have to be licensed per each state you work in as do Structural Engineers and such or does the overall licensing cover you nationwide as a CE?

Not that it will have any effect on my trade, but it was just a curiosity question in noting that the Engineers we work with and around the country have to be specifically licensed per the state they do work in, as do lawyers and other trades.
      May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

Originally posted by Da1andonly View Post
        you had no spare time, at all?
        no i had weekends off, if not on deployment
        RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
        RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Originally posted by 404 Not Found View Post
          DN....just curious on the Civil Engineering job, do you have to be licensed per each state you work in as do Structural Engineers and such or does the overall licensing cover you nationwide as a CE?

Not that it will have any effect on my trade, but it was just a curiosity question in noting that the Engineers we work with and around the country have to be specifically licensed per the state they do work in, as do lawyers and other trades.
          I'm not quite sure, I know that you have to complete 4 steps to become a Professional Engineer

1) Graduate from an ABET accredited university (completed)
          2) Pass the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (FE), aka the EIT (awaiting results)
          3) Work for 2? years under a Professional Engineer doing related work
          4) Pass the Principles and Practice Engineering Exam (PE)

I checked out a couple of the licensing board websites, but couldn't see anything right away that said you could or could not practice in other states. I'd imagine each state has different requirements, but it looks like you can only practice in the state you get the license in from what I could see so far. I say this because there's no centralized board, it's all done state by state. Whenever someone comes back to work (i'm all alone atm), i'll ask them and edit this reply.

I should say that the requirements for structural engineers is probably stricter than any other civil engineering discipline (i'm going for transportation)
          .fffffffff_____
          .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
          .ffffff|ff __fffff|
          .fffffff\______/
          .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
          .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
          .fffff\________/
          .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
          .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
          .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
          .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
          .fff\__________/

Comment

I'm doing a master in Electrical Engineering atm and all that i can say it is fun but sometimes very boring stuff that u need to learn...

but it is worth all the effort, I'm not going to tell you what to pick tro
            SSCU Trench Wars Local BanG Operator
            SSCU Trenchwars SModerator
            Trench Wars Extreme League Head Operator
            Trench Wars Divisions Operator

1:Rudy> We don't let Barton out much
            1:Rudy> He has a habit of touching things he's not supposed to
            1:Rudy> Like fire, and boobies

Comment

Originally posted by Exalt View Post
              the math is easy for me, as I said, I did all this stuff in the military already... The program I was in through the military was one of the hardest programs in the nation right next to Nuclear Physics....

basically the classes I would be taking through the university (which is Purdue btw, if anyone cares) are all the same classes that I took through the military, the problems being that the military do not give you accredited courses through a university that allow it to transfer really

the good part is I have the experience to go along with the engineering degree, so getting a job shouldn't be THAT difficult considering what I did in the Navy

im leaning toward electrical engineering because of that anyway, but wanted to know what people think... honestly im appreciative of peoples opinions
              well purdue is one of the best engineering schools in the country...so if you like doing that shit go for it. because like fidel said that is in very high demand just about everywhere and if you know what the hell you're doing and play your cards right you could be making 6 figures within 5-10 years. Probably less since you were in the military
              I was gonna go to University of Missouri-Rolla, which is another good engineering school until i realized how much i was going to hate engineering. Now i'm just a math major.

my school has a pretty good economics program and the only thing ive learned from talking to professors is the only decent job you get doing that is working for a politician or teaching.
              Currently listening to:
              Valient Thorr - Immortalizer
              Dead to Me - Little Brother
              Tim Barry - Manchester
              Lemuria - Get Better
              Alkaline Trio - Agony and Irony

Comment

Liberal arts - waste of time; the equivalent of reading a lot of books and listening to self important windbags (you don't need school for that)

Economics - possibly useful, though if you want to make some big $ you'll want something more quantitative (see EE below)

IT - The job market is flooded with incompetent jackasses; hard to distinguish yourself from them fresh out of school. Also, boring and soul-sucking. IT skills are a dime a dozen and will be the equivalent of being able to read when the older generations die off.

Electrical engineering - I did this (+Computer Engineering). Make sure you have a strong math background going in. You get mad quantitative (math/physics) skills that can be applied to almost anything (you won't be limited to just EE jobs). BTW you should try to pick up computer programming as you do this if you pick the right program. Basically being able to program is a side skill that makes you a bajillion times more valuable than those who can't.

If have some math ability and enjoy applying it ---> EE
                Otherwise, econ
                'vet' is the new 'newb'.
                sit ez vet, sit.

Comment

louis how's life?
                  it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

rofl...a dime a dozen? Everyone I know is making 60+ g's a year to do basically nothing as a civilian. Too bad you cant map a printer
                    I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                    I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs. everyone i know is making 60gs.

i can't figure out what my major should be. i can't figure out what my major should be. i can't figure out what my major should be. i can't figure out what my major should be. i can't figure out what my major should be. i can't figure out what my major should be. i can't figure out what my major should be. i can't figure out what my major should be. i can't figure out what my major should be. i can't figure out what my major should be. i can't figure out what my major should be. go die. i can't figure out what my major should be. i can't figure out what my major should be. i can't figure out what my major should be. i can't figure out what my major should be.
                      Last edited by Cops; 05-31-2008, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X