Darkfall is REVOLUTIONARY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkfall is REVOLUTIONARY

This amazing game that's been in the making for the past eight.. EIGHT years, is soon to be in public beta. This game has been eyed on more than a few times by me over the years.. and well.. I'm cancelling my sub for wow when it comes out (even if it's free, which is possible). This game is called Darkfall Online.

Here's a quick video on what it's about. (And, don't think "wow only 10,000 players?" because it's just the beta phase, it's a CLOSED beta, so they don't really want more than 10,000 people testing it really)

One major reason this game has so much promise is because there's most likely tons of companies funding this game through development. They spend ZERO money on advertising, it's all spent on development (which is why I think it'll be one of the best MMORPGs to EVER hit the market. Yes, WoW is fun, but it's not GOOD, either)

Heres another vid with a ton of info on it

In my personal opinion.. this game is going to change everything there is about gaming... I've such high hopes for this. What do you plan on doing? Would you think of trying it out?
    Last edited by Xog; 08-03-2008, 04:55 AM.

are you allowed to say "jew" in chat without being banned by fat gay pedophiles who over compensate for their lack of acknowledgement in the real world?
    sigpic

Comment

I actually started following this game in early development and played closed beta for a little less than a month. It's not all that it's cracked up to be. And there's only one company funding it, and they just got bought out. Know your story, dude. Regardless, I might try it out again if they fixed a bunch of the crappy aspects of the game from closed.
      sigpic

1:Shaun> if my girlfriend had a dick
      1:Shaun> mmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlan View Post
        I actually started following this game in early development and played closed beta for a little less than a month. It's not all that it's cracked up to be. And there's only one company funding it, and they just got bought out. Know your story, dude. Regardless, I might try it out again if they fixed a bunch of the crappy aspects of the game from closed.
        I didn't know my facts, that's why I said "most likely." I was assuming they were, based on what a fantastic job they've been doing. I turned out to be partially right.

Yeah, a lot of the aspects of this game has drastically changed in the past couple years. Mounts can die, when they do, you just hop on another animal, and start riding.

Almost NO zones. You can run from one edge of the world to the other. No mountains or "invisible walls" are blocking you. The map IS spherical, so if you go on ur boat and float into the ocean blue you'll hit land again!

No floating character / NPC names, either. Also, you gotta aim your bow at targets, and you gotta actually move your sword to swing and shield to block.. it's one of the games I've been dreaming of! It actually takes SKILL to play

You can make your OWN HOUSE
        You can make your own CITY
        You can raid neighboring cities from your city
        You can add defensive walls for your city
        You can HIRE NPCs for your city!

You can be a pirate! Arrrrrrrrrrr!

There are NO LEVELS in the game. There are no specific classes in this game. You choose what you want to do by buying whatever you want (swords, metal armor, cloth armor, leather, shields, wands, bows, crossbows, staves, maces, axes, etc) and YOU play the character. YOU decide what you want to do. In this game, there's no reason to REROLL, you can put away your metal armor, sword, shield, axe, mace, or what have you.. and pick up leather armor and a bow! BAM you're an archer!

THERE ARE NO BOUNDARIES
        YOU ARE FREE
        Last edited by Xog; 08-03-2008, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Well I admit I don't follow the game religiously, I do check to see what the devs have posted every week or so on the site. It's definitely news to me that there was a public beta out, and I figured that they would have announced it publicly if that were the case. I did some checking around and there definitely at this point is no such thing as a public beta, so I'm inclined to call BS on the whole "played closed beta for a month" thing. AFAIK, and I could be wrong, the only beta happening is an internal beta.

Personally, I have been following this game for oh say like 4 years or so. I don't even know how long. The company does not have a tremendous amount of funding, it's true, but that also allows freedom in development when you don't have people telling you how to design or run your game. Plus, it's common knowledge that the developers are willing to personally fund the game in order to get it to launch. Moreover, there's proof that Aventurine took out an independent loan (NOT investment) of the amounts of around €20 million... For the scale and budget of the game they are developing, that's enough to cover a lot of development.

I have some faith in what the development team is doing with the game, because many of them are longtime vets from other major MMO companies. From what the game LOOKS like, it will be the game to end all games. I've played many MMOs and many of them had horrible, awful design issues which made me want to puke. DFO seems to want to resolve those issues, and the Devs definitely seem on the same wavelength as I am at least, since they developed the game full-loot, with a large amount of player freedom (including an apparently robust crafting system).

I got screwed when I hung my hopes on SWG when it came out. That game turned out to be AWFUL and inherently flawed game-mechanics wise. I'm not going to make the same mistake on DFO, so until there's more information available, I'm gonna keep an eye out for it but otherwise not get excited about it too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by HandofDeath View Post
            Well I admit I don't follow the game religiously, I do check to see what the devs have posted every week or so on the site. It's definitely news to me that there was a public beta out, and I figured that they would have announced it publicly if that were the case. I did some checking around and there definitely at this point is no such thing as a public beta, so I'm inclined to call BS on the whole "played closed beta for a month" thing. AFAIK, and I could be wrong, the only beta happening is an internal beta.

Personally, I have been following this game for oh say like 4 years or so. I don't even know how long. The company does not have a tremendous amount of funding, it's true, but that also allows freedom in development when you don't have people telling you how to design or run your game. Plus, it's common knowledge that the developers are willing to personally fund the game in order to get it to launch. Moreover, there's proof that Aventurine took out an independent loan (NOT investment) of the amounts of around €20 million... For the scale and budget of the game they are developing, that's enough to cover a lot of development.

I have some faith in what the development team is doing with the game, because many of them are longtime vets from other major MMO companies. From what the game LOOKS like, it will be the game to end all games. I've played many MMOs and many of them had horrible, awful design issues which made me want to puke. DFO seems to want to resolve those issues, and the Devs definitely seem on the same wavelength as I am at least, since they developed the game full-loot, with a large amount of player freedom (including an apparently robust crafting system).

I got screwed when I hung my hopes on SWG when it came out. That game turned out to be AWFUL and inherently flawed game-mechanics wise. I'm not going to make the same mistake on DFO, so until there's more information available, I'm gonna keep an eye out for it but otherwise not get excited about it too soon.
            That's great! A key note, I never said the public beta was out already :-p. It's just going to be out soon (possibly next 6 months). In the FAQ section it mentions the open beta... I'm really hoping to play.

Also, have they mentioned anything about this being pay-to-play?

Comment

From what I've seen I'm impressed, I like certain things about WoW but at the same time the game was the exact same when you were level 20 to level 60+. I didn't see much of anything change, except my bank account got loaded with gold and weapons and my character explored new locations, but besides seeing new online areas and attaining online gold the game stagnated.

This game has aspects of Ultima Online which I came to really like, the ability to make and craft things and use an npc to sell those things. The ability to create and own houses was pretty awesome. The ability to be more involved in the game rather than just one of a billion character slots. Bash UO all you want but it had more of an online community feel to it rather than WoW which has no feeling of involvement outside of being in a guild.
              it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Originally posted by Xog View Post
                That's great! A key note, I never said the public beta was out already :-p. It's just going to be out soon (possibly next 6 months). In the FAQ section it mentions the open beta... I'm really hoping to play.

Also, have they mentioned anything about this being pay-to-play?
                From what I remember... the business model for DFO is that you get to try it before you buy it. So they're planning on having a type of internet distribution (although I really hope they distribute it physically to stores too, but they may just not have the money for that).

And yeah, it's gonna be pay-to-play, but only a nominal (maybe $15?) fee once a month.

I can't believe that they're planning to release DFO soon (this year right? which IMO is absurd since they're still not in beta). I heard something about doing more testing internally so it wouldn't be necessary... but there's so little PR on the game besides what is being done by the players themselves. I feel it would be a shame to release the game without really spreading the word about it.

P.S. I was talking to Kahlan about the public beta part. I really didn't believe he/she had already played the game already :P There's probably a lot of people that would shell out hundreds of dollars/euros to play DFO's beta.

Comment

Originally posted by Cops View Post

This game has aspects of Ultima Online which I came to really like, the ability to make and craft things and use an npc to sell those things. The ability to create and own houses was pretty awesome. The ability to be more involved in the game rather than just one of a billion character slots. Bash UO all you want but it had more of an online community feel to it rather than WoW which has no feeling of involvement outside of being in a guild.
                  I feel the same exact way about Asheron's Call. The community is very involved, everyone has a reputation (possibly because it's a pretty small playerbase now), and the physics and stuff comes into play just like in DFO. in AC you gotta move your character to shoot an arrow, you can dodge arrows, you can dodge spells.. but melee's got sticky. you press a button and you're following them around swingin away that's the only part I don't like.

Here's some more info from a dev on DFO
                  http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/...tions-Answered

my favorite part is
                  15. How does incapacitation work?

When your hitpoints go to zero, (unless you're killed outright through decapitation or scull crushing) then you're incapacitated. You're on your back and there's a timer running. In the time it takes the timer to run out you can be revived, you can tap out, or you can be finished off. When the timer runs out you're dead.

Edit:
                  Just came across this for you COPS
                  Asp, member of Lords of Death, was able to visit Aventurine and test out Darkfall for him self. It has been over a week, and yet no response until now. LoD still hasn't heard from Asp since his last message he sent to them so, because of the long delays, LoD decided to release the first message they received by Asp.
                  Asp:
                  I played the game (a stable version they had from about a year ago). I played an Orc (of course); The best made Orc I have played... ever. The inventory screen is exactly like UO. It brought back fond memories. You know how back then you would kill someone you loot all kinds of bags? (i.e. Some neatly arranged ones or just messy thrown together ones). It certainly adds more pleasure to the kill when you get to see the time and care someone put in arranging their stuff while you're looting it. It definitely makes the kill a more personal thing.
                  Last edited by Xog; 08-03-2008, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Me playing closed beta was because I was a forum moderator since 2004. And the thing about building houses and cities and such, as far as I know, is limited to certain areas and is incredibly expensive.
                    sigpic

1:Shaun> if my girlfriend had a dick
                    1:Shaun> mmmm

Comment

this thread == viral marketing?
                      Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

Me playing closed beta was because I was a forum moderator since 2004. And the thing about building houses and cities and such, as far as I know, is limited to certain areas and is incredibly expensive.
                        What's your handle on the forums?

Comment

Xog do you work for Adventurine SA?
                          USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                          ---A few minutes later---
                          9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                          9:Kim> UM
                          9:Kim> i didn't
                          9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                          9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                          9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                          9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan View Post
                            Xog do you work for Adventurine SA?
                            Aventurine doesn't need a PR team when they have fans like Xog and I spreading the word on various game forums :P

Comment

They are now taking beta applications for the game at their site. After reading a lot about the game, I am really looking forward to playing it. I urge everyone to at least check it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X