Finally an email worth opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally an email worth opening

I know yall have people out there that, for some reason or another, forward you shitty joke emails day after day. Well finally i got one that was worth reading. Well, not really, but it was kinda interesting so i'm gonna put it up for you.

The first two are just optical illusions (i guess you call them that)

I like this one, might even make it my avatar.

This one's not as good, but it's still kinda neat-

get it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THis next one is a test of your mental abilities. You've probably done it before, but so had I and I didn't remember the trick.

ALZHEIMER'S EYE TEST

Count every ' F ' in the following text:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE
    SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
    FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH
    THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS...
    (SEE BELOW)

There are six f's. I only got 3 the first time. Supposedly you can't process "OF" like you do other words. I don't know if it's the pronunciation or if there the only f's that aren't obvious.

This last one is a testament to all the ESL or just drunk posters-- i've seen it several times (probably like 8 yrs ago too):

O lny srmat poelpe can raed tihs.
    I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on !!

i wnoedr if its rlaely ture or if it jsut has to do wtih slaml wrdos wtih ltetres or siifpec cnnosontas. i may witre all my ftuure pstos lkie tihs.
    .fffffffff_____
    .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
    .ffffff|ff __fffff|
    .fffffff\______/
    .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
    .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
    .fffff\________/
    .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
    .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
    .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
    .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
    .fff\__________/

The "F" thing works because the first two words begin with "F", so when you start off reading it, you're subconsciously conditioned to only look for the letter "F" at the start of words. The line break in the word "scientific" was placed so that the "F" appears at the start of the line so that you'd notice it easily and make you think, on some level, that the test maker was trying to sneak it past you but you caught on. It also helps that the word "of" is relatively short and common, making it easily skimmed over.

As for that jumbled spelling one, it doesn't exactly prove that spelling doesn't matter, but rather that typos don't matter. Actual spelling mistakes are usually made by using an incorrect letter or putting in a letter twice when it should only be there once. All of the words in that paragraph use the correct letters, just not in the correct order, which is commonly the result of a typo. My guess is the mind interprets them fairly well because it uses a similar function to what causes you to make a typo in the first place.

Comment

i think it has to do with scanning. I personally can't read that fast, but I know people who literally flip through pages in a book or magazine. I think you can effectively scan by only reading the first/last letter and the middle ones don't make as much of a difference.

I copied that jarbled paragraph straight from the email (which i know i've seen a couple of times). The sentence after it i made up on the spot to see how it compares to the one that's always passed around. I suspect it has a lot to do with using short words and maintaining certain consonant combinations. The example paragraph doesn't switch the letters in most of the words more than one place or two, and hardly ever puts the same letter twice in a row. Makes a big difference for words like experienced --> eeeenicprxd vs. small words like that --> taht.
      .fffffffff_____
      .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
      .ffffff|ff __fffff|
      .fffffff\______/
      .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
      .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
      .fffff\________/
      .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
      .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
      .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
      .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
      .fff\__________/

Comment

mrhurekcetofs
        Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King View Post
            As for that jumbled spelling one, it doesn't exactly prove that spelling doesn't matter, but rather that typos don't matter. Actual spelling mistakes are usually made by using an incorrect letter or putting in a letter twice when it should only be there once. All of the words in that paragraph use the correct letters, just not in the correct order, which is commonly the result of a typo. My guess is the mind interprets them fairly well because it uses a similar function to what causes you to make a typo in the first place.
            It's not completely out of order though, the trick is that they always keep the first and last letter in it's correct place, without doing that I think it would become far more difficult to read a sentence like that. I think when you see the first and last letter in it's place and the rest of the letters in random order, there's just not that many words that can be filled in, so it's probably still easy to read..

(I don't know much about neurolinguistics though :P)

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
              mrhurekcetofs
              Bram, can you easily read that? First and last letter is in place.
              Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

waht lgnuegaa is taht witretn in, glloalee?
                Originally Posted by HeavenSent
                You won't have to wait another 4 years.
                There wont be another election for president.
                Obama is the Omega President.
                http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ingrish? I have no idea wtf mrhurekcetofs is supposed to be.

here are my best attempts:

morefuckrhets
                  muchtofekerrs

:fear:
                  Displaced> I get pussy every day
                  Displaced> I'm rich
                  Displaced> I drive a ferrari lol
                  Displaced> ur a faggot with no money
                  Thors> prolly
                  Thors> but the pussy is HAIRY!

best comeback ever

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
                    Bram, can you easily read that? First and last letter is in place.
                    I don't use foul language.

(ofc i can read that..)

Comment

I'm surprised you guys can't get it. It's about your mom. :wub:
                      SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
                      SSCU Trench Wars Bot/Web Developer

Stayon> That type of thing, when you're married for 50 years but you know you fucked up when you dropped chilli sause on your elitist rich boss, while crossing the cafeteria's lunch zone, getting you fired, because you were distracted admiring the cleaning lady's ass that you beated off to, when your sluggish wife and two retarted kids were asleep.

Comment

Originally posted by milosh View Post
                        I'm surprised you guys can't get it. It's about your mom. :wub:
                        lol mother f.ck..s

maybe that will help
                        Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
                        2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
                        2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

doh, its not meant to be 1 word...

shouldve been like.

mehtor fkrceus :grin:
                          Displaced> I get pussy every day
                          Displaced> I'm rich
                          Displaced> I drive a ferrari lol
                          Displaced> ur a faggot with no money
                          Thors> prolly
                          Thors> but the pussy is HAIRY!

best comeback ever

Comment

But then its easy..

Comment

Finally, a thread not worth opening.
                              You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Working...
                              X