Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weekly economy update

http://www.forbes.com/home/2008/11/1...12bailout.html

According to CreditSights, a research firm in New York and London, the U.S. government has put itself on the hook for some $5 trillion, so far, in an attempt to arrest a collapse of the financial system.
    Attempting to solve a financial crisis that resulted from too much debt - by going into debt. Hope it's worth it.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081112/wall_street.html

Though Paulson's announcement marks a major shift in the original bailout plan and rattled investors, Wall Street analysts generally believe the Treasury is now on the right path.

"That's really what they should have done originally," said King. "First and foremost, we have to make sure banks are going to survive and then we can worry about lending. This is the quickest and most efficient way to do that."

"Buying bad assets doesn't do that," he said.
    "We were wrong before. This is what we should have done. Certain this time, guys, seriously."

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/081112/busin...ial6.html?.v=6

Elsewhere, some efforts to cure both national economies and companies ailing from the credit crisis looked like they were in danger on Wednesday.

The International Monetary Fund withheld official backing for a $6 billion bailout plan for Iceland, the Financial Times reported, putting loans to the North Atlantic country at risk.

Some of British bank Barclays' biggest shareholders have threatened to vote against a plan to raise 7 billion pounds ($10.8 billion) of capital unless it improves terms of the deal, British newspapers reported.

Aides to U.S. President-elect Barack Obama, meanwhile, were playing down reports of tension with the Bush administration over help for the stricken car industry.

Democratic congressional leaders said they would push for emergency legislation to bail out struggling U.S. automakers, possibly by amending the $700 billion rescue program, which now only applies to banks and other financial firms.

Paulson on Wednesday said that non-financial firms as well as banks may need additional cash infusions but that he saw "implementation difficulties" aiding companies that were not federally regulated.

General Motors Corp, Ford Motor Co and Chrysler LLC are seeking $25 billion in urgent assistance, in addition to loans to develop fuel-efficient cars.

The World Bank said more countries were seeking its help and its president, Robert Zoellick, warned that global trade may decline next year for the first time in more than a quarter century as the credit crisis reduces trade financing.

Zoellick said the bank expected its lending to increase to $35 billion this year from $13.5 billion last year.
    It seems one flaw in the Welfare state is becoming apparent... who deserves help? And who decides what to give, to whom?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/27662540/

In recent days the government also has stepped in to to assist credit-card company American Express and ramped up its aid to insurer American International Group.

That has raised the issue of why the government is willing to provide help to Wall Street financial firms but not assembly-line workers in Michigan.

There are, in fact, increasing calls for a second economic stimulus package to help consumers and small businesses as well as more help for distressed homeowners.

"At some point you have to say this doesn't make any sense anymore," Isaac says. "I don't know whether we draw that line after General Motors and Ford or before General Motors and Ford. But at some point we have to draw the line."
    Wasn't I saying this would happen like, not two or three months ago

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide

General Electric Co. said the U.S. government agreed to insure as much as $139 billion in debt for lending arm GE Capital Corp., the second time in a month it has turned to a federal program designed to help companies during a global credit crunch.

Granting GE Capital, which isn’t a bank, access to a new Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. program may reassure investors and help the unit compete with banks that already have government protection behind their debt, said Russell Wilkerson, a spokesman for the Fairfield, Connecticut-based company. Coverage would be for about $139 billion, or 125 percent of total senior unsecured debt outstanding as of Sept. 30 and maturing by June 30.

“Inclusion in this program will allow us to source our debt competitively with other participating financial institutions,” Wilkerson said. GE sent investors an e-mail about the program today and posted the letter on its Web site. “Our participation is a positive development for our investors.”
    Great news: banks are now "sourcing" their debt "competitively". Translation: everyone's competing for government money. This is what some might call the "looting" or "parasitic" stage of a corporate welfare state.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-economy.html

Interest rates could be slashed to zero for the first time as the Bank of England battles the deepening recession.

Governor Mervyn King said he is ready to reduce rates to ‘whatever level is necessary’ to counter the economic storm.

He warned Britain’s economy could shrink by at least 2 per cent during 2009, pushing inflation into negative territory for the first time in almost half a century.
    These people truly believe that continuing to over-stimulate the market to unsustainable levels is "good", and that a recessionary period where the market re-adjusts would be "disastrous".

I'm incredibly biased, of course, but to me it seems like perhaps our politicians are really just pulling shit out of their ass.
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Paulson's a dumbass and every time he opens his mouths the stock market plummets and people freak out

he's such a moron and I hate it every time I check the yahoo finance and see he's spoken again
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Blue View Post
      Paulson's a dumbass and every time he opens his mouths the stock market plummets and people freak out

he's such a moron and I hate it every time I check the yahoo finance and see he's spoken again
      You know, I think the proper time for this opinion to have been voiced was, oh I don't know... before we gave him an entire "office of financial stability", 700 billion cash monies, and a bunch of new federal powers. Of course, we never had a chance to vote for this guy.

Letting one man decide the fate of our economy. Sounds great in theory, doesn't it?

internet de la jerome

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
        You know, I think the proper time for this opinion to have been voiced was, oh I don't know... before we gave him an entire "office of financial stability", 700 billion cash monies, and a bunch of new federal powers. Of course, we never had a chance to vote for this guy.

Letting one man decide the fate of our economy. Sounds great in theory, doesn't it?
        You're forgetting that the economic genius, Bernanke, is here to help him. Oh wait...
        help: (qg) (javs): i think my isp is stealing internet from me.

What's the difference between chopping an onion and chopping a baby? I cry when I chop onions. Type ?go Jav -Chao <ER>
        MegamanEXE> Chao
        MegamanEXE> I came from watching Hockey to say this
        (Sefarius)> ....
        (Hate The Fake)> LOL
        MegamanEXE> You are sick
        MegamanEXE> Good day

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post

He's not the only one deciding the fate of our economy, but alot of people seem to think he is, and freak the fuck out whenever he opens his damn mouth and lets whatever star wars, coke induced horse shit spew out like a torrential, never ending rain of ignorance and stupidity.
          My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Chao. View Post
            You're forgetting that the economic genius, Bernanke, is here to help him. Oh wait...
            Don't worry, Ben got his money helicopter and helps the ppl in need with it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide

The Federal Reserve is refusing to identify the recipients of almost $2 trillion of emergency loans from American taxpayers or the troubled assets the central bank is accepting as collateral.
            TWL-J champ season 5 (Elusive)
            TWL-D champ season 6 (Elusive)
            TWL-D champ season 8 (-FINAL-)
            TWL-D champ season 10 (Syndicate)

Comment

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Federal Reserve on Wednesday sharply lowered its projections for economic activity this year and next, and signaled that additional interest rate reductions may be needed to help combat the worst financial crisis to jolt the country in more than a half-century.

With the economy forecast to lose traction, or even jolt into reverse, unemployment will move higher, the Fed predicted.

Facing the likelihood of "significant weakness" in the economy, some Fed officials suggested "additional policy easing could well be appropriate at future meetings," according to documents from the Fed's most recent closed-door deliberations on interest rate policy at the end of October.

At that Oct. 29 session, the Fed ratcheted down rates to 1 percent, a level seen only once before in the last half-century. Many economists predict the Fed will lower rates again at its last meeting of the year on Dec. 16, to help brace the sinking economy.

Even while hinting that another rate reduction could be forthcoming, Fed officials worried that the effectiveness of previous rate cuts "may have been diminished by the financial dislocations, suggesting that further policy action might have limited efficacy in promoting a recovery in economic growth," the documents said.

To help ease financial turmoil and spur banks to lend money more freely again to customers, the Fed has taken a series of other unprecedented steps, including offering short-term cash loans and buying up mounds of short-term debt that companies rely on to pay day-to-day expenses like payrolls and supplies.

Under its new economic forecast, the Fed now believes gross domestic product could be flat or grow by just 0.3 percent this year. GDP could actually shrink or expand by 1.1 percent next year. Both sets of projections are lower than the Fed's forecasts delivered to Congress in July.

GDP is the value of value of all goods and services produced within the U.S. and is the best measure of the country's economic health.

The forecasts are based on what the Fed calls its "central tendencies," which exclude the three highest and three lowest forecasts made by Fed officials. The Fed also gives a range of all forecasts that showed some Fed officials projecting a 0.3 percent dip this year, followed by a deeper 1 percent contraction next year.

The prospects for weaker economic activity will push up unemployment. The Fed projected that the national unemployment rate will rise to between 6.3 percent and 6.5 percent this year. The rate in October was 6.5 percent, and last year the rate averaged 4.6 percent.

Next year, the Fed expects the jobless rate to climb to between 7.1 percent and 7.6 percent—also higher than its summer forecast.

Inflation, meanwhile, is expected to be lower this year and next compared with the Fed's previous forecast. A global economic slowdown is sapping demand for energy, food and other commodities, driving down prices and reducing inflation risks.

internet de la jerome

Comment

Originally posted by Chao. View Post
                yeah he's pretty smart why do you ask
                Originally posted by Ward
                OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

SXNFSDsfdgfdhfshsfdhgsfdjretomer ejerom

please respond to any form of contact i have sent towards you !!!!!!!!!
                  Originally posted by turmio
                  jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
                  Originally posted by grand
                  I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

As an economics grad (I'm staring at my beautifully framed degree atm) here are some statements I strongly agree with:

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today. - Laurence J. Peter

An economist is a man who states the obvious in terms of the incomprehensible. - Alfred A. Knopf

If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion. - George Bernard Shaw

The instability of the economy is equaled only by the instability of economists. - John H. Williams

Comment

Working...
                    X